Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/31/2018-hyundai-sonata-new-plus-package/

Hyundai is looking to jump-start sales of its struggling 2018 Sonata midsize sedan by introducing new "+" editions on several trim levels, adding features like the silver mesh grille cribbed from the Sport 2.0T, panoramic sunroof and safety technology for no extra charge — or for even lower prices, in some cases.

The mid-model year enhancement package broadens availability of Hyundai's Advanced Driver Assist Systems, the Sport front fascia and mesh grille and other interior amenities. For example, the Sonata SEL+ and Sport+ editions now come equipped with the Sport's front fascia upgrades, dual automatic temperature control, wireless phone charging, heated steering wheel and other features at no extra charge, representing $580 and $950 in value to the respective models.

Adding the Tech Package to the SEL+ gets you automatic emergency braking, lane keeping assist, smart cruise control with stop-start and other features for $25,185, including destination charge, a $980 value improvement, Hyundai says. Buyers can add the Tech Package to the Limited model for no extra charge over the previous model. On the high-end Sonata Limited model, adding the Ultimate+ package drops the price of the previous Ultimate package by $600 while adding the Sport mesh grille and fascia combo, plus the panoramic sunroof.

The Korean automaker redesigned the Sonata for 2018 with a new "cascading grille" borrowed from the Elantra and other changes to the front, a redesigned back, some handling upgrades and a redesigned interior. But it hasn't helped move the metal.

Sales of the Sonata fell a whopping 41 percent in April to 9,616; year-to-date, they were down 38 percent to 33,441 units. The company saw its combined Hyundai and Genesis sales decline by 11 percent in April.

The "+" packages are available at dealerships now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it clear what they are adding to the Limited 2.0? Or are they just slashing the price?

Release also mentions that the Sonata Limited with Ultimate Package now comes with Sunroof but i thought that was already standard. Finding all of the possible options and combinations confusing but maybe I am missing something.

Model
Engine
MSRP
Discount
Value Improvement
Sonata SEL+
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$23,700
$0
+$580
Sonata SEL+ with Tech Package
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$24,300
-$400
+$980
Sonata Sport+
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$24,800
-$400
+$950
Sonata Sport+ with Tech Package
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$25,400
New
New
Sonata Limited with Tech
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$27,400
New
New
Sonata Limited with Ultimate+
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$29,700
-$600
+$900
Sonata Limited 2.0T+
2.0L Turbo GDI 4-cyl
$31,900
-$550
+$850

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is it clear what they are adding to the Limited 2.0? Or are they just slashing the price?

Release also mentions that the Sonata Limited with Ultimate Package now comes with Sunroof but i thought that was already standard. Finding all of the possible options and combinations confusing but maybe I am missing something.

Model
Engine
MSRP
Discount
Value Improvement
Sonata SEL+
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$23,700
$0
+$580
Sonata SEL+ with Tech Package
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$24,300
-$400
+$980
Sonata Sport+
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$24,800
-$400
+$950
Sonata Sport+ with Tech Package
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$25,400
New
New
Sonata Limited with Tech
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$27,400
New
New
Sonata Limited with Ultimate+
2.4L GDI 4-cyl
$29,700
-$600
+$900
Sonata Limited 2.0T+
2.0L Turbo GDI 4-cyl
$31,900
-$550
+$850
Pano sunroof. Previously not available at all on any 2018 model

·
Registered
391 Posts
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/31/2018-hyundai-sonata-new-plus-package/

Hyundai is looking to jump-start sales of its struggling 2018 Sonata midsize sedan by introducing new "+" editions on several trim levels, adding features like the silver mesh grille cribbed from the Sport 2.0T, panoramic sunroof and safety technology for no extra charge — or for even lower prices, in some cases.

The mid-model year enhancement package broadens availability of Hyundai's Advanced Driver Assist Systems, the Sport front fascia and mesh grille and other interior amenities. For example, the Sonata SEL+ and Sport+ editions now come equipped with the Sport's front fascia upgrades, dual automatic temperature control, wireless phone charging, heated steering wheel and other features at no extra charge, representing $580 and $950 in value to the respective models.

Adding the Tech Package to the SEL+ gets you automatic emergency braking, lane keeping assist, smart cruise control with stop-start and other features for $25,185, including destination charge, a $980 value improvement, Hyundai says. Buyers can add the Tech Package to the Limited model for no extra charge over the previous model. On the high-end Sonata Limited model, adding the Ultimate+ package drops the price of the previous Ultimate package by $600 while adding the Sport mesh grille and fascia combo, plus the panoramic sunroof.

The Korean automaker redesigned the Sonata for 2018 with a new "cascading grille" borrowed from the Elantra and other changes to the front, a redesigned back, some handling upgrades and a redesigned interior. But it hasn't helped move the metal.

Sales of the Sonata fell a whopping 41 percent in April to 9,616; year-to-date, they were down 38 percent to 33,441 units. The company saw its combined Hyundai and Genesis sales decline by 11 percent in April.

The "+" packages are available at dealerships now.
This brings up lots of questions. I am really interested in the SEL+ w/tech. However, will rebates remain strong or stronger or are they going to try to substitute adding more stuff to the car but lowering the rebate? That doesn't really help me as I am very price sensitive. Adding more is great but I need a big rebate to get to the price I want to pay.

Also, does this mean that current inventory non + models will be offered at a lower price since they would probably be considered not as desirable as the + models and they have been sitting around on the lot?

Will have to wait and see what the next few months bring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
got it, thanks. is that the only difference between the Limited 2.0 and Limited 2.0 +?

Any idea if they would drop the price of the original Limited 2.0 in light of this?

I was leaning towards going with the Limited 2.0 until I heard the news regarding the Plus versions. Trying to determine if I could get a lower level Plus Trim that would be comparable to standard Limited 2.0.

·
Registered
391 Posts
got it, thanks. is that the only difference between the Limited 2.0 and Limited 2.0 +?

Any idea if they would drop the price of the original Limited 2.0 in light of this?

I was leaning towards going with the Limited 2.0 until I heard the news regarding the Plus versions. Trying to determine if I could get a lower level Plus Trim that would be comparable to standard Limited 2.0.
Definitely not an expert but as I read it, it only added 2 things. The pano sunroof and the mesh grill. That is the Limited with Ultimate, 2.4. I don't think that applies to the Limited 2.0 since that model is listed separate on the list.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I can only imagine what dealers are saying: "What the eff do we do with all these non-plus models?"
The incentives soup will be much more complicated once these actually show up. I expect little/no incentives on the Plus models UNTIL the old stock gets depleted (could take a while)

May sales of Sonata were better than April but for the year they are still down huge. Good to be a buyer (or a lessor) in this environment.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, well, all I see is the value of my one year old "non-plus" model drop in the toilet. I usually trade every two years. This may be the time that I just keep it till the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I can only imagine what dealers are saying: "What the eff do we do with all these non-plus models?"
The incentives soup will be much more complicated once these actually show up. I expect little/no incentives on the Plus models UNTIL the old stock gets depleted (could take a while)

May sales of Sonata were better than April but for the year they are still down huge. Good to be a buyer (or a lessor) in this environment.
I am not so sure. If I am not buying an SEL with a $3500 rebate, I am not buying an SEL+ with $500 in extras with no rebate. I agree, will be interesting to watch. I think that they are trying to add value and not have to go to the 5K rebate.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It’s crazy how poorly the sales of the new Sonata are doing. I’m not sure how sales would increase by adding a “+” option but the idea of the panoramic sunroof coming back surely peaks my interest. At the same time I believe the Sport + trim would attract younger buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
It’s crazy how poorly the sales of the new Sonata are doing. I’m not sure how sales would increase by adding a “+” option but the idea of the panoramic sunroof coming back surely peaks my interest. At the same time I believe the Sport + trim would attract younger buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I know a lot of you here like the pano roof but I would never own a car with one.
All that glass doesn't work well when it gets 100*+ every summer here.

·
Registered
334 Posts
well this post is what made me decided to get rid of my 17 and get an 18, I figure strike while the dealers are not selling as many sonata's and it seem to had work because I got a better deal then I think I would had back in 2011 when the sonata's sold its best ever

a 40% drop is a huge fall but I think I understand why because everybody now want SUV's and not sedans, When fuel prices fell so did sedan sales and suv sales went up and in many cases though the roof for all manufacturers .. Ford is doping all it's sedans in the united states and said their going to focus on making SUV's, as far as I could tell, only the mustang and focus will be fords only cars so a 40% drop IMO is not because of the looks of the 18, its because almost everybody want's a SUV now.

Hyundai though would be smart to keep the sonata going even with lower sales because gas prices under trump keep going up and up, everybody will run back to cars soon once gas prices hit the bush area prices of 4 bucks and the sonata is as roomy as a full size GM SUV IMO. I drove a rented Chevy suburban last summer to Arizona and then my 17 sonata to Arizona this xmas and I swear both feel the same as far as seat width and leg room, yea the height is not the same but minus that. The Sonata is a good car to replace gas hungry full size SUV's with once prices hit 4.dollars a gallon and they will under trump

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not everybody wants a SUV. There will always be room for sedans. My next car will be a sedan. It is just that the sedan shares of the market gets smaller so the weaker hands will be forced out. I don't see sedans like the Camry or Accord are going away any time soon. Stop buying into the hype.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh the irony. Under Obama the Clean Air guy, gas was cheap. Under Trump the pro oil guy gas is becoming more expensive.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry to bust your guys bubble, but adding this + option will not do much for sales while adding the pano will bring in like 10 new buyers, its too late.The Camry and Accord have been out a long time now and the majority of people have made up there mind by now.Not too many people will even know about this new + option anyway, so look for sales to be below or stagnate for a long time .

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Oh the irony. Under Obama the Clean Air guy, gas was cheap. Under Trump the pro oil guy gas is becoming more expensive.
Because Trump is the one that convinced OPEC to curtail oil production, right?

But a single Trump tweet did get OPEC to increase production.
So there's that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry to bust your guys bubble, but adding this + option will not do much for sales while adding the pano will bring in like 10 new buyers, its too late.The Camry and Accord have been out a long time now and the majority of people have made up there mind by now.Not too many people will even know about this new + option anyway, so look for sales to be below or stagnate for a long time .
Oh how I hope that you are right. I don't agree with you about the Accord. Camry sales are strong but Accord sales not so much. The reason reported in the press is price of the Accord too high, compared to the Camry (at least lease prices).

The way to spark sales (if they truly want to, which I am not so sure that they do) is to slash price or big rebate and advertise the heck out of it. Don't these guys buy cars for themselves? Do they really think throwing in $500 of extras on a 25-30K car is going to bring in that many buyers?

Slash the price 3K or raise the rebate to 6K and help me get my payment down $100 a month, then I will notice. Or maybe have a sale where you get the next higher trim level for the price of the lower one. An SEL for the price of an SE or a LTD for the price of an SEL.

I love Hyundai but lets be honest. Most buyers are going to go for Accord or Camry based on reputation. Obviously the longer warranty has not allowed Hyundai to compete equally. They need to offer more content (a lot more) at the same price or be substantially lower price for the same car.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts