Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2009 Sonata from Carmax a few months ago. Yesterday I wanted to open the passenger side door to get something out of the glove box. I don't usually carry my cars remote controls on my keyring (too bulky). Went to unlock the door and couldn't find a keyhole on that side of the car. Is there supposed to a keyhole on the passenger side? If not, that's a pretty cheesy way to save a buck. Maybe that's how Hyundai can sell them cheaper than other brands. Wonder what other parts they might have left off. Starting to think I should have spent the extra $$$ and got a Honda or Toyota.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No key lock on the passenger door. Logic: use the remote to unlock the doors. If your remote has failed then you use the key to enter the driver's side - then get your remote fixed. I actually think it's fine to leave it off. I've never used the passenger side key lock on any of my cars that have remotes.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (rodandkathy @ May 26 2010, 10:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326584
Bought my 2009 Sonata from Carmax a few months ago. Yesterday I wanted to open the passenger side door to get something out of the glove box. I don't usually carry my cars remote controls on my keyring (too bulky). Went to unlock the door and couldn't find a keyhole on that side of the car. Is there supposed to a keyhole on the passenger side? If not, that's a pretty cheesy way to save a buck. Maybe that's how Hyundai can sell them cheaper than other brands. Wonder what other parts they might have left off. Starting to think I should have spent the extra $$$ and got a Honda or Toyota.
Is this Rod or Kathy writing in? Did you not notice it at CarMax. You are the first Keyhole complainer, although this has been

brought up before. Kathy, is this you. No Man would ever complain about the lack of a Keyhole. :p

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (rodandkathy @ May 26 2010, 01:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326584
Almost every car made today only has one key hole.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ May 26 2010, 03:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326609
Almost every car made today only has one key hole.
I have two 06 LX's and an '08 Ford Taurus -- If you offered me a million dollars right now, I couldn't tell you if the passenger doors on any of them have key holes.
And I never use the electronic FOB's either - not that much into gadgets.

I know the Taurus trunk does not have a key hole and that's probably a good idea.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Maybe that's how Hyundai can sell them cheaper than other brands. Wonder what other parts they might have left off. Starting to think I should have spent the extra $$$ and got a Honda or Toyota.
That's quite a commitment you've made to Hyundai. :harhar:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ May 26 2010, 10:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326752
That's quite a commitment you've made to Hyundai. :harhar:
Actually, the longer I own my Sonata's, the more I like them. For a car in that price range, the fit and finish is excellent - The V6 is nice too.

Maybe, I'll boycott Hyundai for discontinuing the V6 engine - I know I will if I check tomorrow and find out there ain't no right hand sided keyholes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah MiamiLX is right! Must be the wife asking cause women always ride on that side. A real man like MiamiLX would break the window with his bare hand and reach inside to unlock the door. You're my hero, buddy!

If you're gonna complain, then complain about those stupid door locks that go off every time you put the car in gear. Real men don't need the doors locked when they're driving their women around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My goodness, had no idea my question would create such a fuss. Obviously if I just noticed this, after owning the car for several months, then it can't be a big deal. I am simply saying, if this is how Hyundai cuts corners, maybe I should have bought from a reputable auto maker. As far as "committment" goes, I wasn't aware I was making any kind of committment. This is how I get from point A to point B.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im gonna give you a non sarcastic reply even though I think some of the responses are pretty funny, most car manufacturers today are going with a one key hole set up its not just Hyundai in fact I first noticed that my 2004 Dodge Ram only had one keyhole and then I started to notice more and more cars and trucks have only one keyhole, I think its part money saving and also in part the fact that most cars have keyless entry today and 95% of people just push the button to get in their cars. Hyundai today is a reputable car maker and they have worked hard to get where they are at I never imagined in a hundred years I would own a Hyundai but I love mine, my friend in high school had a brand new Excel when they first came out and it was the biggest piece of junk it even caught on fire one time!, so yes Hyundai has came a long way. I think you will be quite happy with your car it will do just what you ask of it, take you from point A to point B with little or no headaches. Owning a car is a committment not to the car maker but to the bank for how ever many years you chose to finance it. Also you do have a small maintenance committment to keep your warranty intact.

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (rodandkathy @ May 27 2010, 08:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326843
My goodness, had no idea my question would create such a fuss. Obviously if I just noticed this, after owning the car for several months, then it can't be a big deal. I am simply saying, if this is how Hyundai cuts corners, maybe I should have bought from a reputable auto maker. As far as "committment" goes, I wasn't aware I was making any kind of committment. This is how I get from point A to point B.
Relax, it is all in good fun..although I am not so sure that at least Toyota hasn't been cutting some corners here lately. :banana:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I did a highly unscientific parking lot survey this a.m., and actually, quite a few cars do have right sided key locks -- I am happier without one - electric door locks which can be unlocked three ways (key, remote fob, door switch) kind of render the right hand keyed door look a dinosaur, anyway.

Maybe, now we can find out what happened to bumpers - didn't cars used to have two of them suckers?

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (rodandkathy @ May 27 2010, 08:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326843
First off, the Camary and Accord only have the keyhole on the drivers side. Just like the Dodge Dakota. And many others cars. I made a more racy thread involving what finger to use to open the moon roof.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
l think this topic has reached the end of the line, l doubt if anyone can make another sensible comment about this so l am closing this topic

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few days ago I read a post from some woman complaining cause there's no keyhole on the passenger side. I know, kind of funny. But then I started looking at my car and noticed there's no keyhole for the trunk either. Never saw this before. I always use the trunk release button inside the car or on the remote.

But then it got me thinking -

1. the trunk release is electrical
2. I keep my toolbox in the trunk
3. my jumper cables are in the toolbox.

Anyone else seeing the problem?

Ok so let's say one day I'm out somewhere and my battery dies. The way I see it, I got two choices.

1. drop the rear seats and try to crawl through the pass-through and get my toolbox
2. put on a dress and call for help.

BRILLIANT piece of engineering, this Sonata.

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (GeorgeW @ May 29 2010, 06:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327588
A few days ago I read a post from some woman complaining cause there's no keyhole on the passenger side. I know, kind of funny. But then I started looking at my car and noticed there's no keyhole for the trunk either. Never saw this before. I always use the trunk release button inside the car or on the remote.

But then it got me thinking -

1. the trunk release is electrical
2. I keep my toolbox in the trunk
3. my jumper cables are in the toolbox.

Anyone else seeing the problem?

Ok so let's say one day I'm out somewhere and my battery dies. The way I see it, I got two choices.

1. drop the rear seats and try to crawl through the pass-through and get my toolbox
2. put on a dress and call for help.

BRILLIANT piece of engineering, this Sonata.
I for one have never put on a dress to make a call for help or otherwise, usually the clothes I am already wearing suffice.
Instead of climbing in the trunk when the battery dies I guess I might just release the hood and phone-a-friend.
In my case since I am lazy, I would probably just call AAA :trophy:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.