Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
My Sonata makes this super scary grinding noise when braking while going downhill. I know the worn pad/rotor grinding noise, but this sounds different. It sounds like it's coming from only the driver's side suspension area, not the passenger side. Also, the noise remains for a few seconds even after I let off the brakes. It is kinda scary, and it makes me think somewhere there are a few bolts trying to hold something, and it just can't anymore, and something's going to shoot out from the inside of the hood.

I had the brakes checked - they are all good, both pads and rotors. I have an appt at the dealership tomorrow - but I wanted to see if if anyone here might have an idea about it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My money is on a sticky caliper that has resulted in hot spots and micro cracks in the rotor. Just a guess. Let us know what they find. Are the brakes still effectively stopping the car?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from the dealer. The tech was able to duplicate the noise. However, he couldn't find anything wrong with either the rotors or the pads. He took the whole front brakes (both sides) and inspected. He thought may be the rotors were getting too hot, and also rusts on the rotor together might have caused the grinding noise. He resurfaced both the rotors and de-glazed the pads. He test drove and said the noise went away, and asked me to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (spex @ Apr 19 2010, 11:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314562
Just got back from the dealer. The tech was able to duplicate the noise. However, he couldn't find anything wrong with either the rotors or the pads. He took the whole front brakes (both sides) and inspected. He thought may be the rotors were getting too hot, and also rusts on the rotor together might have caused the grinding noise. He resurfaced both the rotors and de-glazed the pads. He test drove and said the noise went away, and asked me to keep an eye on it.
That's interesting. My wife complains that our 2006 Sonata does that also sometimes, usually down a steep hill we live by.
She also said there is a clunking noise sometimes. The rotors and pads look good to me, and we only have 40,000 miles on the car. I never hear this noise when I drive it, and we took it on a 200 mile round trip and I never noticed any noises.
But after reading your post I can't help but think there may be some intermittent cause to this. I'll post if I come up with anything, please do the same if you find any new info on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (hotpprs @ Apr 20 2010, 12:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314988
That's interesting. My wife complains that our 2006 Sonata does that also sometimes, usually down a steep hill we live by.
She also said there is a clunking noise sometimes. The rotors and pads look good to me, and we only have 40,000 miles on the car. I never hear this noise when I drive it, and we took it on a 200 mile round trip and I never noticed any noises.
But after reading your post I can't help but think there may be some intermittent cause to this. I'll post if I come up with anything, please do the same if you find any new info on this. Thanks.
For sure.
Just to clarify - it doesn't make that noise the whole time going steep downhill - just before the car comes to a stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (spex @ Apr 19 2010, 11:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314562
Just wondering, now that it's been a couple of months, has the noise returned or did it go away for good after you got your rotors machined? I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms...a kind of clunking/kerchunking/grinding sound coming from the front brakes when braking somewhat heavily, especially downhill. Doesn't happen during light braking at slower speeds on level ground. Only 34k miles on my 2006 Sonata and plenty of brake pad left, but I am getting really annoyed (and somewhat concerned) by this noise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (Nothlit @ Jul 4 2010, 09:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338813
Just wondering, now that it's been a couple of months, has the noise returned or did it go away for good after you got your rotors machined? I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms...a kind of clunking/kerchunking/grinding sound coming from the front brakes when braking somewhat heavily, especially downhill. Doesn't happen during light braking at slower speeds on level ground. Only 34k miles on my 2006 Sonata and plenty of brake pad left, but I am getting really annoyed (and somewhat concerned) by this noise.
Not trying to sound ignorant but you are saying you brake rather heavily going down hill and you hear that noise. Isnt that than just the ABS kicking in?! I mean what you are discribing really is just like the ABS going off and you hear the grinding sound, even if you think that the road is clean you may come up to some dirt, sand and so on on the road and when you brake the tires slip and the ABS kicks in. Up here in Iceland when its icey on the roads and i go down hill the ABS kicks in often even wene not braking too hard and specially when i am even taking the slightest of turns during the braking. I always thought that the Hyundais had very over reactive ABS.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
5 Years and I only activated the ABS once. While that was my thought too, the Poster did not mention a pulsing feeling?

Also I know Pads are designed to make a noise when worn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (hamiico @ Jul 4 2010, 06:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338829
Not trying to sound ignorant but you are saying you brake rather heavily going down hill and you hear that noise. Isnt that than just the ABS kicking in?
No, I have felt and heard the ABS kick in when driving in snow and this is not the same sound or feeling. This really does sound like something is grabbing/scraping once per wheel revolution as I slow down. I'm taking it in to the shop on Thursday to have them look at it.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Nothlit @ Jul 6 2010, 03:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339296
No, I have felt and heard the ABS kick in when driving in snow and this is not the same sound or feeling. This really does sound like something is grabbing/scraping once per wheel revolution as I slow down. I'm taking it in to the shop on Thursday to have them look at it.
Could be due to salt corrosion. The calipers need to be free to center themselves. If 1 gets stuck,
it can cause noise and abnormal brake wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts