Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started thinking that Hyundai needs to to build a Sonata SES "Special Edition Sport" for those craving a bit
more of an upgraded SE model that features their turbo charged, direct injected, patent pending, dual scroll turbo 280 hp, driver's car with suspension and driver
feedback steering comparable to BMW's 5 series except without the steep price tag.

My Wish List Would Include the Following:

Upgraded leather seating, with thigh and side bolsters,
Dual power front seats, one touch open/close power moon roof,
Remote one touch open close power windows,
Leather wrapped stearing wheel,
Illuminated power side mirror controls,
Outside turn signal mirrors,
Rear back-up proximity sensors,
LED driver and passenger front door sills.

These are just some features I can think of right off the bat..what about you?

·
Banned
630 Posts
how bout a built in money bush in the glove box?? :bigemo_harabe_net-01:

what do you seriously expect from a hyundai???? seriously???? you seem to be expecting an aweful lot for a car that's priced well under $40k....

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (The Pill @ May 25 2010, 01:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326050
I started thinking that Hyundai needs to to build a Sonata SES "Special Edition Sport" for those craving a bit
more of an upgraded SE model that features their turbo charged, direct injected, patent pending, dual scroll turbo 280 hp, driver's car with suspension and driver
feedback steering comparable to BMW's 5 series except without the steep price tag.
My Wish List Would Include the Following:
Upgraded leather seating, with thigh and side bolsters,
Dual power front seats, one touch open/close power moon roof,
Remote one touch open close power windows,
Leather wrapped stearing wheel,
Illuminated power side mirror controls,
Outside turn signal mirrors,
Rear back-up proximity sensors,
LED driver and passenger front door sills.
These are just some features I can think of right off the bat..what about you?

Wakie wakie time to go to school!

·
Registered
486 Posts
That's funny......While at work on Sunday, I was getting my limited super waxed and detailed, ( delivering dealer just washed the car only), I had allot of salesmen coming by to check this new car out. It too had many wondering what model ( brand) it was and if it just came in off the truck and if it was going on the showroom for sale? While I was explaining to one salesman what all the Limited come with as standard equipment, about half way though the list he just threw his arms up in the air and muttered , I Give Up , and stomped off. It was the funniest thing I have seen, A salesman defeated in his own world..... They couldn't imagine how thier 60-80K and up cars were going to compete.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Guys, as much as i love Hyundai, Hyundai will never be able to compete with BMW...not even close...they simply lack 94 years of car making experience that BMW got under their belt...

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (ula @ May 25 2010, 03:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326257
Guys, as much as i love Hyundai, Hyundai will never be able to compete with BMW...not even close...they simply lack 94 years of car making experience that BMW got under their belt...
That's a pretty big assumption. I'm sure that's what Lee Iacocca said about the Japanese automakers back in the 70-80's. :grin:

Nothing is constant in the automotive world.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (ula @ May 25 2010, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326257

You're right about Hyundai not being able to compete with BMW for now, but due to cost and fuel economy reasons, BMW (and many others) is changing for the worse. That's why I decided to buy my M3 over a Porsche, since it'll never be built the same. From now on, all Ms will have a force induction engine, and I just HATE that on a sports car. Another reason is they're also changing to ELECTRIC steering, just like our Sonata, which is the 'feel' equivalent of making out with boxing gloves :innocent: . Then the manual transmission is becoming all but extinct as well, being replaced by gimmicky (and temperamental) automatic transmissions complicated as h e l l. I don't like the direction most auto makers are heading, especially with sports cars, but can't blame them due to ever increasing emissions and CAFE requirements.

The good news on all of this is that small cars (and small-engined cars) are finally being built with more luxury appointments. Not long ago, if you wanted a car like our Sonata, it meant the most luxurious model with the largest engine (at least a V6) available. Not anymore :thumbsup: . Take care.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have only owned two cars in my life prior to my 2011 Sonata...both of them were BMW's. A 1991 318i and a 1995 740i. I nearly bought a 2006 325i, I can tell you after enjoying the dynamics, design and comfort of bimmers for a total of 8 years this car competes. And I'm not the only one comparing BMW and Hyundai I have a customer about to get out of a 3 yr lease on a 535i and he's narrowed down his decision between BMW and Hyundai. Automotive reviewers are having the same conversation:

Fast Lane Daily

AOL Autos

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is no comparison between a BMW and Hyundai, for now they are product made for different type of car owner.

The average car owner has no passion for cars, they want a comfortable transportation to get them from A to B with as much comfort as possible. This is the market Toyota and Lexus caters to. They are hush quiet cars thats most comfortable around town and boring as can be.

Then there are drivers and car enthusiasts. They take driving lessons rally lesson and drift lessons. They subscribe to automobile, road and track, car and driver and motor trend magazine, when a car drive by they can tell you the year, model and engine displacement with a glimpse and the sound the car makes. Lastly they enjoy maintaining and upgrading the car themselves just to make sure it was done right. Enthusiasts tend to want a BMW, because the suspension and steering is responsive to the drivers input and the power is immediate. Cars like BMW M3/M5, Mercedes AMG, Porsche 911/caymen, corvette are always on their wish list.

Hyundai use to cater exclusively to value oriented car buyer like the chinese cars of today. Currently they are moving upmarket, but their crosshair are set on the japanese car makers Toyota Honda and Nissan. Genesis coupe vs nissan G35, veracruz vs lexus rx350, Genesis sedan/Equus vs Lexus GS/LS460 and sonata vs Accord/Camry etc. This clearly put Hyundai as a car maker catering to average car owners rather than car enthusiast, with the lone exception of genesis coupe.
Koreans like most other asian countries hated what japan did during its occupation and since Japan never apologize for what they did during WW2 most of asia never forgave japan and retain a fierce rivalry and deep desire to beat them.
I must also mention the threat Hyundai face from the totalitarian neighbor from the north, if korean war 2 happen and NK goes nuclear on the south, this may wipe away all progress hyundai achieved in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (dh431218 @ May 27 2010, 05:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326812
There is no comparison between a BMW and Hyundai, for now they are product made for different type of car owner.

The average car owner has no passion for cars, they want a comfortable transportation to get them from A to B with as much comfort as possible. This is the market Toyota and Lexus caters to. They are hush quiet cars thats most comfortable around town and boring as can be.

Then there are drivers and car enthusiasts. They take driving lessons rally lesson and drift lessons. They subscribe to automobile, road and track, car and driver and motor trend magazine, when a car drive by they can tell you the year, model and engine displacement with a glimpse and the sound the car makes. Lastly they enjoy maintaining and upgrading the car themselves just to make sure it was done right. Enthusiasts tend to want a BMW, because the suspension and steering is responsive to the drivers input and the power is immediate. Cars like BMW M3/M5, Mercedes AMG, Porsche 911/caymen, corvette are always on their wish list.

Hyundai use to cater exclusively to value oriented car buyer like the chinese cars of today. Currently they are moving upmarket, but their crosshair are set on the japanese car makers Toyota Honda and Nissan. Genesis coupe vs nissan G35, veracruz vs lexus rx350, Genesis sedan/Equus vs Lexus GS/LS460 and sonata vs Accord/Camry etc. This clearly put Hyundai as a car maker catering to average car owners rather than car enthusiast, with the lone exception of genesis coupe.
Koreans like most other asian countries hated what japan did during its occupation and since Japan never apologize for what they did during WW2 most of asia never forgave japan and retain a fierce rivalry and deep desire to beat them.
I must also mention the threat Hyundai face from the totalitarian neighbor from the north, if korean war 2 happen and NK goes nuclear on the south, this may wipe away all progress hyundai achieved in the last 20 years.
I don't think anybody is trying to say that they are the same. How the car was intended to be marketed has no bearing on whether or not the cars are similar. The driving experience of an SE and amenities are certianly comparible, but not on par yet with a BMW. Anybody who says otherwise is just being biased by brand loyalty and prestige (in my opinion). And yes, I've driven a BMW. My boss is also one of the biggest BMW fan boys you'll ever meet, and even he can't deny the comparison. They slaughtered the Camry/Accord segment so bad with the 2011, it's being compared to other classes that were previously out of its reach.

It's kind of humorous to me that some folks can't come to grips yet with this. You can't really say the two are not comparible when that is exactly what everyone around you is doing. :grin:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thank goodness Hyundai is NOT trying to emulate BMW when it comes to driver interfaces. EVERY report or story about a BMW with iDrive says it is a disaster. I'll keep my touch screen Hyundai and the 10 thousand or so bucks I save over buying a similar sized vehicle that still gets me to and from points A and B!

And BTW I am also glad Hyundai is not emulating BMW in crash test results either. When you compare the comparable in size 5- series with the 2011 Sonata, Sonata comes out on top with three goods in the crash test results where as BMW has only a marginal rating for side impact crashes, which is two steps away from where Hyundai is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts