Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my new 2018 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T back in November 2017. Began using BlueLink services in December 2017.

When I would use the Remote Start feature on the MyHyundai BlueLink app (on iOS) it presented three options: Engine Duration, Front Defroster, and Heated Services (to turn on the rear defroster and side mirror/steering wheel heaters if equipped). Was using and loving the Heated Services feature up until about 2 weeks ago when it disappeared from the app. Now all that shows is Engine Duration and Front Defroster.

I contacted the app support and they told me to contact BlueLink services. When I contacted BlueLink services, they matter-of-factly said to me "Oh yes, your vehicle doesn't support this feature." So after about 10 mins of me explaining to the operator that I previously had this feature, it did in-fact work up until it just disappeared from the app. She requested more time to look into this and someone would contact me.

A week later someone contacts me and just repeats what the previous operator says "Your car does not support that feature." Once again had to explain the scenario to this operator, she said there's nothing she can do. Requested to have it escalated to a supervisor. They promised a call back within 2 - 5 business hours from a supervisor. Never happened.

Called the next day, asking to speak to a supervisor. Was placed on hold and hung-up on. Called back, was placed on hold for 25 mins to be told a supervisor would call me back within 2 - 5 business hours. Never got a call back. Called the next day this time irate. I'll give props to this operator because I wouldn't let him off the hook until he got a supervisor on (even though its against their policy to have a supervisor on demand to transfer to.. they only do call backs lol). Spoke with the supervisor, explained the situation. She was sympathetic to my situation, but had no way to resolve. Simply put, my vehicle "does not support" this feature. She had this to add as well "there was a glitch that provided this feature when it shouldn't have" Uhhhh, what??? So now the car does support it but its availability to me was a glitch because Hyundai is trying to hide this feature? Makes absolutely no sense. I then found this press release:

(Sorry I can't post links because I just joined, however this is easily found via a Google Search for: Hyundai Makes Remote Services Standard On IONIQ And Blue Link)

No where in there does it say "heated services available to supported 2018 Sonata models" it simply says "Hyundai has also enhanced the Blue Link Remote Start with Climate Control feature to include control of the rear defroster and heated side mirrors for 2018 Elantra GT and Sonata." thus implying all 2018 Sonatas. Pointed this out to the supervisor, she agreed that is odd that press release exists but on their side its simply not supported. I informed her I would not be satisfied until this feature is returned because my vehicle clearly does support it because it existed and I used it. Warned her that I would explore every avenue to get a real answer in writing and dated as this is borderline fraudulent activity.

TL;DR: Who owns a 2018 Hyundai Sonata with BlueLink (should be anyone who owns a 2018 since they give out 3 years free), and do you have Heated Services as an option? What trim package do you have?

I'm trying to gather up information to present to Hyundai for resolution so I need some feedback from fellow Sonata owners. And in the worst case scenario, to present to an Attorney General to investigate.

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
343 Posts
These bureaucratic SNAFUs are going to be the death of our civilization by terminal institutional sclerosis. Good luck mounting that trophy windmill in the study...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Might want to look around on the internet and see if you can find the old version of the app on the internet and disable auto updates. IDK if bluelink will make you update to use the app but worth a try as a temp solution, while bluelink gets it story together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't an App Store update that removed the functionality. It's some kind of change on BlueLink's side.

That app is nothing more than a simplistic web browser locked to load the BlueLink site. Besides the login screen, that app gets all its data/choices directly from BlueLink's server. So rolling back the app won't do anything. Appreciate the suggestion though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just checked and I do have those options for start.

Android app version 3.9.6
<<Sonata version to the left
Thanks Xerxes. Just to confirm you do have the Heated Services option and you own a 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T.

(just summarizing it so its easier for me to get the data later)

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2018 SEL lost that heated services as well. Which is funny cause it wouldnt do my heated seats. I also lost the rear defroster ability as well, but retained the front defroster. Which isnt controlled electronically so if I dont leave the front defroster on, it wont defrost.

At this point Im just happy I can warm up my car. Its cold out today.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2018 SEL lost that heated services as well. Which is funny cause it wouldnt do my heated seats. I also lost the rear defroster ability as well, but retained the front defroster. Which isnt controlled electronically so if I dont leave the front defroster on, it wont defrost.

Here is the complete list of what I see.
Lock

Unlock

Lights

Horn & Lights

Stop

Vehicle Status

Start
Engine Duration (with a drop down to select time)
Temperature (on/off and can select temperature in C or F)
Front Defroster (on/off)
Heated Services (on/off) (not individually selectable, gray text says rear defroster, side mirrors, and steering wheel)

Set (parking meter reminder)

Car Care (various info available on MyHyundai)

Map

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the 2018 Sonata Limited w/Ultimate Package. I have the heated services. I just tested it and the heater and steering wheel heater came on. I forgot to check on the mirrors.

The remote start at MyHyundai on my iPhone has switches (usual iPhone type) for Heated Services and Front Defrost. I turned them on for the test, I guess by default they are off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm beginning to smell a big fat government RAT! (paraphrasing Gen. Buck Turgidson)

Something to do with the Hybrid model and how the Feds have Hyundai between a rock and a hard place. Something along the lines of Hyundai doesn't want to hit the battery for all that heating power, but starting the engine for charging is against the Fed's regulations behind claimed EPA mileage ratings and/or CAFE credits. So, the Hybrid "does not support that feature." I'll check with my daughter and see if she has the Heated Services available on her 17HSHLimited.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the info! So my quick reaction is this seems to be a changed push out by Hyundai that affects all Sonata trims EXCEPT Limited.

Heated seats isn't an option no matter what (and go figure since it was the most requested feature for Hyundai to add lol).

I dont think the front defroster option ever worked correctly. Like you I need to make sure the fan dial is set to at least 1, but besides that when I use the Front Defroster option and get in the car, the orange light is not on for the Front Defroster button. On the flip side, when I had the Heated Services option and I used it, I would get in the car and the orange light would be on for the Rear Defroster.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the 2018 Sonata Limited w/Ultimate Package. I have the heated services. I just tested it and the heater and steering wheel heater came on. I forgot to check on the mirrors.

The remote start at MyHyundai on my iPhone has switches (usual iPhone type) for Heated Services and Front Defrost. I turned them on for the test, I guess by default they are off.
Thanks for the info! No need to check your mirrors, the way they get activated is when the Rear Defroster is turned on. So if when you got in the car that orange light was on for the Rear Defroster button, you can be assured your Heated Mirrors was working as well (and steering wheel since you have the Limited trim).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I'm beginning to smell a big fat government RAT! (paraphrasing Gen. Buck Turgidson)

Something to do with the Hybrid model and how the Feds have Hyundai between a rock and a hard place. Something along the lines of Hyundai doesn't want to hit the battery for all that heating power, but starting the engine for charging is against the Fed's regulations behind claimed EPA mileage ratings and/or CAFE credits. So, the Hybrid "does not support that feature." I'll check with my daughter and see if she has the Heated Services available on her 17HSHLimited.
LOL going by your replies you seem burned about something. I agree that there is a G word involved, but its not government, its GREED (wait, I guess government could be greed, but thats a whole different conversation).

I say Greed because so far the only thing I can confirm is this is not affecting Sonata models with the Limited trim, which is the most expensive package regardless of the engine you choose. Well I for sure won't let this go, especially when there's a press release easily obtainable from Hyundai dated April 2017 that says this feature is available on 2018 Elantra GTs and 2018 Sonatas. No mentions of limitations by trim.

This is leaning toward fraud more and more. Can I get by without this feature, absolutely. Should I stand by and let Hyundai do shady stuff and blame it on a "glitch"? Absolutely NOT. I've been a loyal Hyundai customer since 2011, 3 different Sonatas since. This is not how loyalty should be treated.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My mistake, I had you confused with another 2017 HSH Limited owner from another thread. Yeah, if you don't pay the piper, you don't get to call the tune.

Big G's off the hook on this one, I guess. Good luck with your turbo.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Purchased my new 2018 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T back in November 2017. Began using BlueLink services in December 2017.

When I would use the Remote Start feature on the MyHyundai BlueLink app (on iOS) it presented three options: Engine Duration, Front Defroster, and Heated Services (to turn on the rear defroster and side mirror/steering wheel heaters if equipped). Was using and loving the Heated Services feature up until about 2 weeks ago when it disappeared from the app. Now all that shows is Engine Duration and Front Defroster.

I contacted the app support and they told me to contact BlueLink services. When I contacted BlueLink services, they matter-of-factly said to me "Oh yes, your vehicle doesn't support this feature." So after about 10 mins of me explaining to the operator that I previously had this feature, it did in-fact work up until it just disappeared from the app. She requested more time to look into this and someone would contact me.

A week later someone contacts me and just repeats what the previous operator says "Your car does not support that feature." Once again had to explain the scenario to this operator, she said there's nothing she can do. Requested to have it escalated to a supervisor. They promised a call back within 2 - 5 business hours from a supervisor. Never happened.

Called the next day, asking to speak to a supervisor. Was placed on hold and hung-up on. Called back, was placed on hold for 25 mins to be told a supervisor would call me back within 2 - 5 business hours. Never got a call back. Called the next day this time irate. I'll give props to this operator because I wouldn't let him off the hook until he got a supervisor on (even though its against their policy to have a supervisor on demand to transfer to.. they only do call backs lol). Spoke with the supervisor, explained the situation. She was sympathetic to my situation, but had no way to resolve. Simply put, my vehicle "does not support" this feature. She had this to add as well "there was a glitch that provided this feature when it shouldn't have" Uhhhh, what??? So now the car does support it but its availability to me was a glitch because Hyundai is trying to hide this feature? Makes absolutely no sense. I then found this press release:

(Sorry I can't post links because I just joined, however this is easily found via a Google Search for: Hyundai Makes Remote Services Standard On IONIQ And Blue Link)

No where in there does it say "heated services available to supported 2018 Sonata models" it simply says "Hyundai has also enhanced the Blue Link Remote Start with Climate Control feature to include control of the rear defroster and heated side mirrors for 2018 Elantra GT and Sonata." thus implying all 2018 Sonatas. Pointed this out to the supervisor, she agreed that is odd that press release exists but on their side its simply not supported. I informed her I would not be satisfied until this feature is returned because my vehicle clearly does support it because it existed and I used it. Warned her that I would explore every avenue to get a real answer in writing and dated as this is borderline fraudulent activity.

TL;DR: Who owns a 2018 Hyundai Sonata with BlueLink (should be anyone who owns a 2018 since they give out 3 years free), and do you have Heated Services as an option? What trim package do you have?

I'm trying to gather up information to present to Hyundai for resolution so I need some feedback from fellow Sonata owners. And in the worst case scenario, to present to an Attorney General to investigate.

Thanks for everyone's help!
I have a 2018 Limited Ultimate with heated steering wheel. The app recently changed ( about 5 - 6 weeks ago ) and now includes the option to turn in heated services remotely. I have an iPhone and am running the most recent beta of IOS.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the 2018 Limited WITHOUT the Ultimate package and have an Android phone. A few weeks ago, I also lost the ability to turn on heated services, thus the ability to turn on the heated seats and the rear defroster. I am quite disappointed with BlueLink due to this, and will not be renewing after my 3 year period is over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My mistake, I had you confused with another 2017 HSH Limited owner from another thread. Yeah, if you don't pay the piper, you don't get to call the tune.

Big G's off the hook on this one, I guess. Good luck with your turbo.
Thanks Richard! I'm on the fence with this model compared to my 2015 Sport 2.0T. For the bigger transmission (which does wonders for the driving experience) and the sun-roof, they took away SO much including:

HID Headlights
LED Backlights
Rear Hood Stub/Spoiler
Dual Auto Climate
Full Leather Seats

I understand they want to differentiate it more from the Limited, but they removed a lot of the appeal of its amazing value. And then to add this BS BlueLink change, its an extra kick in the nuts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a 2018 Limited Ultimate with heated steering wheel. The app recently changed ( about 5 - 6 weeks ago ) and now includes the option to turn in heated services remotely. I have an iPhone and am running the most recent beta of IOS.
SMH, had no idea there was an UNLIMITED limited. Who comes up with this stuff???

If anyone replies further to this, please denote if your limited is an unlimited.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the 2018 Limited WITHOUT the Ultimate package and have an Android phone. A few weeks ago, I also lost the ability to turn on heated services, thus the ability to turn on the heated seats and the rear defroster. I am quite disappointed with BlueLink due to this, and will not be renewing after my 3 year period is over.
Forget renewing Blue Link, this may be my last Hyundai lease. This whole situation has left a bad taste in my mouth. With this and the changes they made to the Sport 2.0T trim (look at my post above) I think this is the nail in the coffin for me. The value of Hyundai has certainly dwindled.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been a loyal Hyundai customer since 2011, 3 different Sonatas since. This is not how loyalty should be treated.
Loyalty? What's that?
Show me which big corporation cares for that?
That may have been the case somewhere many decades ago (half a century?), but not anymore.
Car manufacturers, telecomunication services (Internet, phone, cell, cable TV), ... - you name it - none seem to be rewarding "loyal" customers. And in some (many?) cases, it is quite the opposite (cable companies charging "loyal customers" twice (x2!) of what the new customers pay. Even airlines have screwed their most loyal customers without thinking twice. They all know that they will get customers anyway, and in all reality the choice is rather limited. Their first priority is saving money and looking good for the market.

I do not have loyalty to any brand. I have my brand preferences, and in many cases, those are more "dis-preferences" for some brands that I don't like, and I prefer the rest by exclusion. Yes, in certain cases, I would be a bit more likely to choose from the brand I've used in the past and liked, but just because of the positive experience, not because of any feelings for the brand.
But I always evaluate my benefits of using products or services of any brand, and I would be open to another brand's offerings if they are better.

Good luck with your quest! It looks like one of those uphill battles against the corporate machine (which is quite bureaucratic, bouncing you between various people who cover behind the policies and instructions).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts