Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was happy enough with the 2018 Sonata after having had a string of Accords. I'm leery of the small displacement turbo that Honda decided to put in the Accord. I'd like to give them a few years to make sure it's perfected. Accord prices also took a major jump up. The 2018 Camry I tried was OK, but the ride seemed a little mushy. Sadly, they are behind the times with Android and hadn't included it. That was a deal-killer for me. The 2018 Passat looks nice on paper, but the better equipped versions were too pricey for now.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well their 'act' is shot to **** with the 2018 refresh when they stripped many features off the top along with some of the fit and finishes. Tactic which I'm sure was justified to add safety features to even the lowest of the trims but come on, don't take away features on the top trim level!!! Stupid move hyundai. Your competitor edge of bang for the buck has severely dulled...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Remember that you're comparing all-new versions of Camry and Accord to a mid cycle refresh of the Sonata. I'd have to assume that the newly designed Sonata 2-3 years from now will be more aggressively redesigned, and it will be competing with these "old" designs or a refresh.

That said, the cuts don't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
As Jamison04 stated, its shot.The bad taste they left on consumers set them back even further ,now to gain them back is another hurdle for them.So now they have to try and get back previous customers and future customers while still having that stigma of its a "Hyundai".Oh, and this mid cycle refresh is horrible,whoever approved it should be demoted to washing and waxing cars not designing them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As Jamison04 stated, its shot.The bad taste they left on consumers set them back even further ,now to gain them back is another hurdle for them.So now they have to try and get back previous customers and future customers while still having that stigma of its a "Hyundai".Oh, and this mid cycle refresh is horrible,whoever approved it should be demoted to washing and waxing cars not designing them.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One mans meat is another mans poison.

·
Registered
312 Posts
oh

Remember that you're comparing all-new versions of Camry and Accord to a mid cycle refresh of the Sonata. I'd have to assume that the newly designed Sonata 2-3 years from now will be more aggressively redesigned, and it will be competing with these "old" designs or a refresh.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One mans meat is another mans poison.
also the truth is the truth

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Very well said, if that's in fact Hyundai's next redesign timeframe. I guess it was just coincidence that 2 of sonatas main competitors were redesigned from ground up in the same year. However who knows what's going on with the ford fusion (another car I'm watching). When ford sent a letter to their factory suppliers, many believed the fusion was getting killed off.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Ford reportedly has stopped a major redesign of the Fusion, and will likely do what Hyundai did with the Sonata - some changes but not a major upgrade.

I think the answer lies in the US consumers continued appetite for SUV/CUV - Hyundai announced 8 new ones on the way and that probably took resources from the Sonata program, so unless demand swings back to sedans probably a sound business move, so make minor changes to the Sonata, de-content some and milk it for what it's worth, even a major redesign would have been difficult to keep pace with accord and camry who continue to dominate the segment.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My ‘16 Sonata Limited PHEV had almost all the safety features and Car Play. But the lemon was bought back. We are enjoying out ‘18 Accord 1.5T Touring. It has plenty of power for our needs. It has all the safety features, and even HUD and continuous damping control. I will never get another Hyundai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: canomalo

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well this owner will not be trading in for another one since they've removed everything that makes it worth it, at least for me. Yes the refresh does look good and is starting to grow on me but why should a 2 time sonata owner upgrade to a newer model (top trim) that has less than the current owned one (also top trim). Removal of the pano roof as even an option drove the final nail in that coffin for me.

On top of that, no option for heated rear seats, minor things like no glove box light, led in front of cab but not in back, trunk hinge covers removed, no door on console cubby, etc... The little things that add to the final appearance, finish, and over value for the price over the competition.

Guess it's safe to say that the majority of the vehicles sold across all brands are the base models with maybe a few added upgrades. Probably not too many opt to buy the top trims with all the bells and whistles but hyundai should still make the precious features and options available instead of removing them. Doesn't mean they have to put it in every top trim made but a small few would be great so the option is there.

Personally for me with currently having my 2.0 Sport Limited, it would be taking a step backwards going into the new 2.0 Sport Limited since I'd be losing amenities.

Hyundai has given no incentive for us apparently small few loyal top trim owners to want to give up a great vehicle for one with less.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread because I wasn't aware of what was removed. I'm a 2.4 Limited owner and I see that to keep my heated steering wheel I'll have to go with the turbo. If I have to do that I'll look at the Kia and keep the heated rear seats and pano roof. I suspect the next update to the Kia line will follow the same path.

Reactions: canomalo

·
Registered
671 Posts
There's two things that bug me about Kia. First, they've kept everything on the Optima that's missing in the Sonata. They're practically the same car!

Second, and this is less Kia and more marketing in general, I test drove a Stinger GT2 at the LA Auto show and it was amazing. However, the Stinger they had was a US "prototype" (aka Korean model release). The US release model wouldn't include some features based on "market research", which bugged the **** outta me. The major thing removed was a 360° view camera system that's offered on both the Camry and Accord here. Other things included an incredible looking dark brown leather interior and the Stinger logo that stretched along the whole width of the rear à la Maserati. I really don't understand why features like these would be removed for any market. Sure, remove stuff that only works in certain regions (Korean traffic infrastructure informatics), but 360° view camera...c'mon!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
^^ I think it has more to do with trying to hit a certain price point so they are removing features to cut costs and advertise a lower MSRP.
It's unfortunate that Hyundai is doing it and I wonder how many customers and current owners it will drive away, especially when the Hyundia/Kia brands were really picking up steam and getting a loyal following.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You are right Grady Wilson,and Jamison04 hit it dead on.They lost more loyal and potential customers then they will gain.They took one step foward and three steps back.Thi s is what the 2018 Sonata should have been.To me this car looks like the g70.I dont like the Games Hyundai is playing.............

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I have the heated seats and steering wheel on my 2.4 Limited ultimate pkg. so th eoption can be had without going to the turbo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lmao

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have the heated seats and steering wheel on my 2.4 Limited ultimate pkg. so th eoption can be had without going to the turbo.
If you quoted we'd know who you're talking to without looking back on the conversation...just sayin'. :closedeyes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
All trims from the SEL and up have front heated seats added but the rear seat heaters is what was being referred to as having been removed from the options list.
Heated steering wheel is optional starting with the limited and standard on up the chain.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts