Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a proud new owner of a used 2009 Sonata GL. It's burgundy, and an AMAZING car for the $.

I was wondering though, when you arm the alarm via the FOB, there is no chirp/beep to let you know you actually locked the doors and armed it. Is there anyway to program it so you get a beep when you arm?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (jayupark @ Apr 16 2010, 12:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=313734
Hello, I'm a proud new owner of a used 2009 Sonata GL. It's burgundy, and an AMAZING car for the $.

I was wondering though, when you arm the alarm via the FOB, there is no chirp/beep to let you know you actually locked the doors and armed it. Is there anyway to program it so you get a beep when you arm?

Thanks!
Once the alarm is "armed" the horn should honk once and the turn signals should blink.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, but it does not happen.

The system does appear to be armed though (the led on the dash blinks and the doors lock).

Any other thoughts? anyone?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do not know if they changed the 2009, but on earlier models the horn does not beep when you initially lock and arm. Just lights blink. If you are not sure you locked it, press the button again, and this time the horn beeps. I think the trend is to a system like this to limit the horn beeps because in some places with a lot of cars getting locked it was getting to be an unwanted concert of beeps for the neighbors.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Agreed; click=blink, click again=honk

Two clicks is also a good way to locate the car in a parking lot. So's the panic button, but it draws lots of unwanted attention. :grin:
:00000732:

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
2 presees within 4 Seconds should give you the Beep. Otherwise you would need to take it back to the Dealer.

The previous owner could have paid to get the Sonata de Beeped

·
Registered
145 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 16 2010, 08:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=313831
2 presees within 4 Seconds should give you the Beep. Otherwise you would need to take it back to the Dealer.

The previous owner could have paid to get the Sonata de Beeped
that is what it does on my 09, Miami is correct(de beeped?? good one!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, y'all are great. I'm new to this forum, but an old hand to Hyundai (I'm usually on over at elantraxd.com).

Do y'all think it will be covered by warranty?

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Possibly but most of us have had to pay a half hour shop rate for any programming changes. If you are in your first Year, the

selling Dealer might help you out during the free adjustment period. I know you are in Canada and since you only get the 5/60,

my understanding yours is more comprehensive than our "Limited" Warranty, followed by our 100K Power train coverage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the deal on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata's that don't emit the chirp when attempting to arm the alarm.
I also had the problem where the chirp (along with the blinking of lights) would only happen occasionally when I pressed the fob twice. But the vehicle would be locked. I took it to the dealer and they knew right away what the problem was.

It turns out that there are two connections (one located on but under the hood and the other located on the body (inside fender) of the vehicle directly under the first one). If I remember correctly, these contacts are on the passenger side of the vehicle. These 2 connecters must be touching each other at all times otherwise the chirp (and it is a chirp and not a horn sound) and the lights will not blink after arming it. Mine were not always making contact with each other. The mechanic simply adjusted the contact on the fender upwards so that it will always have constant contact and I no longer have the problem.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
QUOTE (jf0955 @ May 11 2010, 10:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321979
Here's the deal on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata's that don't emit the chirp when attempting to arm the alarm.
I also had the problem where the chirp (along with the blinking of lights) would only happen occasionally when I pressed the fob twice. But the vehicle would be locked. I took it to the dealer and they knew right away what the problem was.

It turns out that there are two connections (one located on but under the hood and the other located on the body (inside fender) of the vehicle directly under the first one). If I remember correctly, these contacts are on the passenger side of the vehicle. These 2 connecters must be touching each other at all times otherwise the chirp (and it is a chirp and not a horn sound) and the lights will not blink after arming it. Mine were not always making contact with each other. The mechanic simply adjusted the contact on the fender upwards so that it will always have constant contact and I no longer have the problem.
The contact could be bad or a door lock actuator is broken and the doors aren't locking, hence no flash and no beep.

Double check to see if all your doors are actually locked. If not it won't flash or beep. It's not uncommon for them to prematurely break.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where specifically are the contacts located? I have looked, and if I remember right someone posted passenger side hood and front fender area? If so what am I looking for? My lights flash, but no horn no matter how many times I hit the remote

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (Swampduck @ Jun 16 2010, 12:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333542
Where specifically are the contacts located? I have looked, and if I remember right someone posted passenger side hood and front fender area? If so what am I looking for? My lights flash, but no horn no matter how many times I hit the remote
If your lights are flashing you should be ok. Does the red LED on the dash blink faster when you hit the lock button on the remote?

Wait a minute.....99 Sonata? Did those even have horns?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The horn honks when I activate the lock, but not all the time. Always check to see the trunk is closed and latched properly. My button always gets pressed by accident.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts