Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

My dreamcar sonata 3.0 1992 runs great, but shows oil pressure blinking at low revs.

Where is oil pressure sender (sensor) located?
Does replacing the oil pump require the whole engine be lifted out?

The engine runs smooth, no smoke, I assume the pistons-rings-cylinders are still ok, makes sense?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Change oil and use Hyundai filter, and test actual oil pressure with gauge.. if pressure fine at idle and at speed, then replace the oil pressure switch (I assume it is a flashing light)..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sbr711

Changed the oil, put the hyundai oil filter, even changed the oil pressure sender. Pressure seems slighly higher, but only very slightly.

But now it seems as if there are two sensors, right next to each other; one small one barely bigger than a wheel nut, the other several times bigger. According to my mechanic the engine has two sensors; one connected to the oil pressure meter (the needle), the other to the warning light in the dash...

Anyone familiar with this second sensor?; please see attched picture that I took with my phone, on the left you see the new sensor; on the right the bigger one, connected with the yellow wire. HYundai dealer denies the existence of a second sensor....

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The larger tin can is common pressure sender for gauge... some cars out there may double up and have a switch for the light... just take wire off and ground it --> does the red oil light come on ?

Take wire off tin can, ground it... did the gauge needle sweep to other end ?

Have assistant watch while you do the wire thing.. key has to be on.... dont need engine running for inspection..

Is the engine clean inside to where sludge and debris will not have made it to oil pan and restrict the oil flow through the pick-up screen ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info, willreplace the tin can, and have the pressure measured profesionally.

The oil that came out was pitch black, but no particles or sludge, through the filler cap it looks clean as well.....how can I know how the engine looks inside (take the pan off?)

Thanks again so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts