Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I found this forum while searching for general views on engine flushing. I got a brand new sonata 2013 and yesterday i went for my regular maintenance at 30,000 kilometers mark. I was told by the person there that "We do engine flush at 30K kms". Now this is official hyundai and kia service center. So I trusted them and let them do engine flush. But as I read more about engine flush, I keep getting more worried. So far car seems fine, and i think its performing slightly better. Going at same speed, engine RPM is slightly lower compared to before. good thing right?
But all of this could be placebo effect.

On the invoice it says something like: Engine flush boost R-3000

I haven't done any maintenance on this car outside of this service center and their address was given to me by salesman at Hyundai showroom.
Any thoughts?

EDIT: I live in very hot climate (middle east). If that makes a difference.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I found this forum while searching for general views on engine flushing. I got a brand new sonata 2013 and yesterday i went for my regular maintenance at 30,000 kilometers mark. I was told by the person there that "We do engine flush at 30K kms". Now this is official hyundai and kia service center. So I trusted them and let them do engine flush. But as I read more about engine flush, I keep getting more worried. So far car seems fine, and i think its performing slightly better. Going at same speed, engine RPM is slightly lower compared to before. good thing right?

On the invoice it says something like: Engine flush boost R-3000

I haven't done any maintenance on this car outside of this service center and their address was given to me by salesman at Hyundai showroom.
Any thoughts?

EDIT: I live in very hot climate (middle east). If that makes a difference.
I think I would be on the Phone to Hyundai Corporate complaining about this unnecessary rip-off "add-on" by your dealer. Hyundai doesn't require it and on such a new engine it's basically snake oil and as you said an overpriced Placebo Pill.

Shame on your dealer.

Larry

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Even with the heat in the UAE, I would simply follow what the manual says as far as service requirements are concerned. Dealers upsell things like this all the time to get people to spend money they really don't need to spend.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Exactly................if it doesn't say to do it in your manual, then don't listen to the dealer. They are trying to make extra revenue at your expense.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Dealers always recommend engine flushes.... so they can take your money. It's not a recommended procedure and it unnecessary if you change oil on time. I quit going to the dealer with my new Sonata years ago when the recommended an engine flush.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Gotta love the dealer service advisors. And those "recommended services"--like the tranny flush that costs almost 400 bucks but mysteriously is nowhere in the service schedule.

I remember seeing one at my old dealer---the infamous 30,000 mi service. Something like $500 bucks after taxes and shop fees. For an inspection, engine oil change and flush, fluid top offs, and some other BS. And they were pushing it hard. Like if I didn't do it the car would stop running or something horrible.

Hyundai really needs to clamp down on this because it reflects very poorly on the company.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Yes it IS.

And no, an engine flush is never recommended by ANY car maker; it's just a ploy for the dealership to make more money.

It is not likely to cause any trouble......and the best thing you can hope for is that they charged you for it......and really did nothing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dealers always recommend engine flushes.... so they can take your money. It's not a recommended procedure and it unnecessary if you change oil on time. I quit going to the dealer with my new Sonata years ago when the recommended an engine flush.
Don't you void your warranty if you don't get your scheduled maintanence at certified hyundai service center?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Don't you void your warranty if you don't get your scheduled maintanence at certified hyundai service center?
No. I've been hammering this into people for ages. Neither your dealer or Hyundai themselves can void your warranty nor can they require you to purchase something to keep it in effect. They do not have the legal right and to even try is against the law, at least in the USA as it's against the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

I tried reading the actual law and I'm pretty sure I blew a blood vessel so here's a dumbed-down version for those not fluent in Leaglese. Magnuson-Moss Act

·
Registered
326 Posts
No. I've been hammering this into people for ages. Neither your dealer or Hyundai themselves can void your warranty nor can they require you to purchase something to keep it in effect. They do not have the legal right and to even try is against the law, at least in the USA as it's against the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

I tried reading the actual law and I'm pretty sure I blew a blood vessel so here's a dumbed-down version for those not fluent in Leaglese. Magnuson-Moss Act
The basic thrust of your post is correct, but it's a little more than being that simplistic. Hyundai has every right to specify the warranty conditions which could include such things as an engine flush, etc. What they can't do w/o permission and there is a procedure to get an exception is to specific specific brands, etc. of maintenance parts to be use mainly such as antifreeze, oil, filters, etc. They can even specifiy the size and type of tire, but not the brand to use to maintain their warranty. This concept is to make it illegal to use what is called "tie in" items as it relates to warranties.

Larry

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
and there is a procedure to get an exception is to specific specific brands, etc. of maintenance parts to be use

And where specifically is that mentioned in the act sited ?

And what manufacturer has actually DONE that ?

I think you are wrong because subsequent court cases have made it quite clear that the "company" cannot void your warranty based on your actions, unless they can provide PROOF that your action caused the failure. Suspicion is not good enough.
I believe the rules that you mention PRE-dated the act mentioned and were, generally, invalidated by it.

On the other side of the coin, some have tried to use that statute to protect them from their own gross stupidity and the courts laughed at them.......like never changing the oil for instance.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Hyundai has every right to specify the warranty conditions which could include such things as an engine flush, etc.
No they don't.

Read that again and you'll see that they have no legal right to make you purchase something in order to keep your warranty in effect.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Before you take your car in next time, review your owners manual service schedule. They should not alter that schedule or include services not on the factory recommended schedule.

At about 60,000 miles my dealership told me that I needed to replace the spark plugs on my SantaFe. I quoted back to him that the replacement schedule was 97,500 miles. He didn't know what to say. I guess no one ever called him on that. That service adviser really pi...d me off.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I keep a copy of the Magnuson Moss in my owners manual folio thing. Have had to break it out twice for a service adviser (once for my AUX port and once for my oil pan gasket).

The whole "voided warranty" argument they spout is baseless. No DEALER can void any part of the warranty. Only HYUNDAI CORPORATE can do that, and they will bend over backwards to not have to do that. Voiding warranties is only done in extreme cases (i.e. converting your Sonata into a demo derby car then asking them to warranty the suspension); car companies are loathe to do this because it destroys customer loyalty big time. I mean, would you recommend XYZ car brand if they denied you a warranty claim?

A dealer always can chose to deny warranty work due to mods or other reasons. That is why you never stick with one dealer---try out a few and see which one is better at customer service vs warranty interpretation. Be sure to report the non-compliant dealer to Hyundai (use their 800 number) or that dealer's CS survey to get even with them.

I've had cars from many different manufacturers. Never had a warranty claim denied and my other cars were much more heavily modified than the Red Sled. Remember--you are the reason the dealer is even in business. Make them work for you!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts