Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I accidentally backed into a light pole recently :(
Just didn't see it and it has caused some damage to my rear bumper (photos attached).
Is there an easy DIY repair for such kind of damage? I'm relatively inexperienced in such matters and don't want to spend big money.

Damages include: A hole like crack (a couple of inches above this is also cracked/shattered lightly), a slightly loose bumper on the left side (it dropped down a bit more, but I kinda pushed it back but there still exists a gap under the fuel tank opening).

Car details: Silver 2011 Sonata w/ 86XXX miles; Insurance deductible = $500.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Drive it till wheels fall off,, that stuff cosmetic.. You going to spend how much to make look pretty,, and a week later somebody may whack it with a grocery cart in the Wal-Mart lot..

Put the money into something that will appreciate --> 401, mortgage, Roth

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drive it till wheels fall off,, that stuff cosmetic.. You going to spend how much to make look pretty,, and a week later somebody may whack it with a grocery cart in the Wal-Mart lot..

Put the money into something that will appreciate --> 401, mortgage, Roth
Completely agree, you never know when someone might ding it.. I was just looking for options because I might think about selling this car in the next year or so and wanted to maintain the car in the best condition possible.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I've had success with 2-part "mud" (the poly stuff). Patch, sand, and paint...it's not as flexible, but looks okay.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
I wouldn't touch it. The 'MUD' and paint will probably look worse.

Is it worth 500 to have it look good again until the next pole or tree jumps out at you. :)
No way to get it right for under that unless you can find one exact match at junkyard.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
LOL...It made me think of my Ford Focus. Bought it new and got smashed pretty good in the front just a few months after buying it. The bumper cover was cracked from the grille to the right side and hanging pretty bad. I used the real sticky metallic silver duct tape to keep it up where it belonged until I could get the insurance guy to come do the estimate. Ended up driving it like that for almost 6 months before I had the chance to do the job one weekend. Oh....was my wife mad. It was her car and I'm the one who wrecked it. >:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't touch it. The 'MUD' and paint will probably look worse.

Is it worth 500 to have it look good again until the next pole or tree jumps out at you. :)
No way to get it right for under that unless you can find one exact match at junkyard.
Oh really? So is it either change the entire bumper or let it be as it is?

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Take it to a body shop. I'm pretty sure they are going to do a new bumper cover and paint. I could be wrong just not sure by the pictures. Try it yourself. The experience will be good for you.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Think of it like this...you can expand from grease monkey and add plastic fill and paint monkey to your handle. A little long but I like it.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Think of it like this...you can expand from grease monkey and add plastic fill and paint monkey to your handle. A little long but I like it.
Sorry, I missed your train (of thought)...I'm still at the station!

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Sorry, I missed your train (of thought)...I'm still at the station!
It wouldn't work with your handle DarrenBach....Has the train left the station yet?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
...still there? Maybe an example...are you going for "paint monkey" and such instead of grease as a handle?

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
...still there? Maybe an example...are you going for "paint monkey" and such instead of grease as a handle?
Close....he'll be able to ADD paint to his handle.....Last call...all aboard...:laugh:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Patching worked and didn't crack...even though I should have re-enforced it with screening/mesh. So, I still wouldn't change your "handle" as necessary to fix it! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
They have plastic weld that is a proper fix but that is for cracks and not holes. Maybe they have something new. Plastics change a lot in a year or two. I've not done body work in 6 years. Take it to a body shop and ask them. I am serious about doing it yourself. I'm talking a new bumper cover and painting it. I wouldn't attempt a spot repair having no experience with it. A new piece is R&R and paint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts