Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2001 Sonata and I heard when you replace the timing belt, it produce a new vibration. Any idea why ?

My mechanic used to work for the Hyundai agent and he says this is aa common problem with Sonata's. He has written to the comany as well but not feedback from them. Has any one experieced this ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
if your car is a 2.4 ltr. 4cylinder, then your mechanic doesn't know what he is doing.
He has to turn the engine over by hand, till all 4 timing marks line up (2 cam-gears, 1 crank-gear, and most important the oil pump-gear). the oil pump-gear will line up every 3 crankshaft revolutions. the oil pump also drives the left counter balance shaft, and will cause a vibration when not lined up correctly.
also, do not neglect to replace the AUTO TENSIONER and the 2nd belt for the right balance shaft.
also important is, the the meckie lines up the cam shafts first, and then matches the position for the crank. most mechies get this wrong, and do the opposite, which can result in a 1 tooth out on the crank shaft when the cams are lined up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree with Duke, your mechanic is a halfwit.
Although he is obviously a knob, you did pay your money for the service to be carried out correctly, so I would take it back to them and tell them to re-do the timing belt so that they get it right

1 - 3 of 3 Posts