Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2005 Tucson a couple of weeks ago really cheap because the motor was sketchy (among other problems). It ran but had codes for a #5 cylinder misfire and the valve train on the #1 cylinder sounded like it was toast. When I examined the front of the Engine the timing belt covers were all chewed up like the belt had gone at some point and they thought they could just replace it. The odometer reads 156000. First off, I change engines in vehicles all the time (a lot of Ford Vans, but others too) so swapping a Hyundai motor is no big deal. The big difference is that I got this Tucson for my wife so it is going to be my vehicle and my $$$ not someone elses $$$. I go on Car-part.com to look for motors and they listed two in my state, one had 174000 on it and they wanted $1095 for it and the second one had 207000 on it and they wanted $700. I look around all the forums for other motors that would be compatible but got nowhere, it seemed like it was a Tucson or Sportage or nothing. So for the heck of it, I looked for a Sonata engine on Car-part and there was a 2.7 listed for a 2004 with 89000 on it for $350. I took a chance that I could get that to work in the Tucson and it did, but there are some major differences:
First: The upper intake and throttle body are completely different and the sensors that mount to it also need to be carefully removed and installed on the new motor. (while this is off you should install new plugs and wires)
Second: The Fuel Rails are completely different between the 2005 and 2004 engines. The ones on the Tucson also had different bolt patterns which required removing the lower intake manifold and swapping that out to the new motor.
Third: The oil pans are different. This one I didn't discover until I had the new motor already in. There is an angle on the Tucson pan for the exhaust crossover pipe. So I swapped those and was all set.
Four: the outlets on the rear valve cover where the hose goes to the intake was a little different I just added a different piece of rubber hose.
Five: The bolt holes for the engine cover are not the same. I could probably get the cover from a Sonata and it would be fine but I am cheap. The upper bolt holes were the same so I just installed the original cover using only the upper two screws. I am not going to change the valve cover for two lousy bolt holes.

As with all junk yard motors I install I changed the timing belt, tensioner, etc. I fired it up, everything works and I drove it around. No CELs no problems at all. Saved a lot of $$ too and all it cost was a little extra time. So even though it is not a simple drop-in (which is why Car-part does not list it as compatible) it can be done as long as you have the original engine to take the parts from. Obviously if you have a Tucson roller with an empty engine bay this is not going to work for you.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
There's a great sense of accomplishment when tackling a project like this and saving big bucks.
In my younger days I did engine swaps and part swaps from different models. It was fascinating to see how engineers had to make everything fit.
Congrats!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts