Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am obsessed with LED headlights and have managed to achieve a quad setup on my 2011 Kia optima (halogen projectors) that drowns even 2018 Acura/Lexus/MB/etc. LED headlights.

Now with this car I see it comes standard with motorized D3S OSRAM HID lights. I have no problem upgrading these to some nice 6200 lumens (stock 35w HID's put out about 3400 lumens) LED headlights but since I have never messed with D-type bulbs, I was wondering:

Does anybody know what is the best way to set up a LED conversion kit on this car? do you recommend going with a straight to battery setup or using factory wires? My LED's pull about 55w per bulb.

If going with a harness, where should I get the ON/OFF signal? better to tap into the fuse box than to find the stock connector before it gets to the OSRAM ballast? Where would that connector be?

Anyways, looking forward to any ideas. If you are local to toronto and want to do this project together let me know, I will get you in touch with my supplier from China.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Shooooot let me get your HID assemblies lol I have halogen projectors on my Sport. Just got the car. Did an HID retrofit on my old car and I'm bugged by halogen lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try going from Halogen to LED with those projectors. Cutoff will not be as sharp as with HID projectors but you will get a very nice upgrade. There is no point in going from halogen to HID, you should just jump straight to LED headlights. No ballast (just a small driver), and less wires to mess with. Although if you are going with something 50w + it might be a good idea to use a harness instead of factory wires. Also, many LED kits will pulsate, it's a common issue with Hyundai/Kia stock halogen setups.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Try going from Halogen to LED with those projectors. Cutoff will not be as sharp as with HID projectors but you will get a very nice upgrade. There is no point in going from halogen to HID, you should just jump straight to LED headlights. No ballast (just a small driver), and less wires to mess with. Although if you are going with something 50w + it might be a good idea to use a harness instead of factory wires. Also, many LED kits will pulsate, it's a common issue with Hyundai/Kia stock halogen setups.
totally disagree. HID is still superior to most LED's on the market..

·
Registered
313 Posts
totally disagree. HID is still superior to most LED's on the market..
Ditto DITTO:

HID (and even QI/QH) is better for you to see the road.

LED looks great when you are looking at them from outside the car, looks nice and bright white (blueish white), but when inside the car, looking out, the LED don't give you the full visual spectrum, and you are not seeing as well as HID or QI/QH. You are fooling yourself with these bulbs.
I.E. LED are "great to be seen, but not to see with ".

I have a friend who owns a repair shop. He has a customer who wanted LED H4 bulbs to replace his stock QI/QH bulbs. Customer brought vehicle back a few days later. Said he could not see as well at night. My Buddy reinstalled the stock Quartz H4 bulbs. Customer now happy again.

As I always say; "Be careful what you wish for, as you may get it".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts