Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it necessary to run 93 octane through my car? I have always heard to use high octane fuel for turbo/supercharged motors for long life. Most turbo/supercharged cars I have had actually recommend this use on the instrument panel somewhere. My sonata does not. Is there a recommendation from Hyundai on this topic?

thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
You'll get two trains of thought with this...as required per hyundai/Kia, no, it is tuned and designed to run on 87...but some people say that using 93 will yield power and help teh car run better...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Atown20T is correct. No adverse effects in using 87 octane but some will say in order to get the most out of the Turbo that 93 octane is preferred.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I came from an 8th gen civic Si which required premium, one of the reasons I chose teh 20T was due to the fact that it doesn't require it...although I can use it if I choose, from time to time. Also it's a bigger car and gets ~ teh same mpg's which is great

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
This has actually been discussed many times over the years.

The short answer is "No, 93 is not required but it's always recommended." this applies to ANY car, really. Every car runs better on higher-octane fuel.

If you do plan on modifying your car, then running premium gas would be recommended at that point.

Stock, no..it's fine to run 87.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts