Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a big relationship with some guys that have built some of the fastest Evos in the USA. they have all told me this motor is built better and stronger from the stock platform...good luck guys this is great news. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (0neslowsonata @ Nov 13 2010, 09:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371339
I have a big relationship with some guys that have built some of the fastest Evos in the USA. they have all told me this moter is built better and stronger from the stock platform...good luck guys this is great news. :thumbsup:
Hope its tru. And just my .02

Its really still too early to say that. Cobb tuning took in some 2.0t genesis when they first came out and tuned the crap outta them and there's no statement of it being built better or stronger than an EVO which iis one of their primary race cars.

Plus the turbo sonata hasn't even been tuned or tracked yet. EVO engines are strong and to just say the sonata engine is built better without many tests done doesn't mean its a fact.

Time will tell in order to see this through. :)

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (misterE @ Nov 13 2010, 12:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371343

Its really still too early to say that. Cobb tuning took in some 2.0t genesis when they first came out and tuned the crap outta them and there's no statement of it being built better or stronger than an EVO which iis one of their primary race cars.

Plus the turbo sonata hasn't even been tuned or tracked yet. EVO engines are strong and to just say the sonata engine is built better without many tests done doesn't mean its a fact.

Not talking about tuned like I said stock vs. stock.Comes with forged internals and better turbo etc. of course if you build the snot out of or tune it to get the most power.The evo might do beter. just talking about strength from stock motor untouched. So the sonata has a better beginning platform to start..

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (0neslowsonata @ Nov 13 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371347
Not talking about tuned like I said stock vs. stock.Comes with forged internals and better turbo etc. of course if you build the snot out of or tune it to get the most power.The evo might do beter. just talking about strength from stock motor untouched. So the sonata has a better beginning platform to start..
What makes a good sauce......ingredients..go look at what they put in the motor and the turbo.also the intercooler.just saying better than what mitsu is using from the start line. The evo is a sick ride but have to give the sonata a pat on the back to stepping up.will the sonata beat the evo...no way.but will the power train hold up little better prob.Just using forged internals is so huge for a motor.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (0neslowsonata @ Nov 13 2010, 12:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371348
What makes a good sauce......ingredients..go look at what they put in the motor and the turbo.also the intercooler.just saying better than what mitsu is using from the start line. The evo is a sick ride but have to give the sonata a pat on the back to stepping up.will the sonata beat the evo...no way.but will the power train hold up little better prob.Just using forged internals is so huge for a motor.
Can't find it now, but I thought I read somewhere that the Sonata's turbo was made by Mitsu. I seem to recall that Mitsu makes the turbo to Hyundai's design and specs.

Am I dreaming this? :grin:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Edit: Sorry to many tabs open, posted in wrong thread.... :blush:

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE (misterE @ Nov 13 2010, 12:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371343

I don't claim to know a whole lot about these things, but the 2.0T in the Sonata is a very different engine than what is in the 2.0T Genesis. It's a twin scroll turbo, for one thing, and it also has some revolutionary new cylinder spiny-lining something or other that's supposed to give great cooling efficiency.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
First off, WTF is up with Mitsu AND Hyundai using some [email protected]$$ plastic bull-crap intercooler piping?

Secondly, why is the intercooler so darned tiny on the Sonata?

When I have a little money to throw around, I'm gonna just buy a universal FMIC kit and have a shop fab me up a nice FMIC setup.

I'm not sure about the durability of the internals of the 2.0T's motor, and I'm definitely concerned about tunability.

I am eagerly awaiting the option for an ECU re-flash upgrade, or whatever else comes to the market for the 2.0T's.

·
Registered
308 Posts
QUOTE (rogersmj @ Jan 31 2011, 05:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=396816
I don't claim to know a whole lot about these things, but the 2.0T in the Sonata is a very different engine than what is in the 2.0T Genesis. It's a twin scroll turbo, for one thing, and it also has some revolutionary new cylinder spiny-lining something or other that's supposed to give great cooling efficiency.
I have been doing some research and the turbo sonata and is limited by the turbo(size) not the engine it won't see more than 270 to the wheels on a good day. It is a great car but not even close to an EVO no comparison! Enjoy the car for what it has good performance, fuel economy, ride, and looks.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
QUOTE (mhyjek @ Jan 31 2011, 04:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=396871
I have been doing some research and the turbo sonata and is limited by the turbo(size) not the engine it won't see more than 270 to the wheels on a good day. It is a great car but not even close to an EVO no comparison! Enjoy the car for what it has good performance, fuel economy, ride, and looks.
*nod*

I know the 2.0T motor is different from the Genesis 2.0T motor. Apparently one of the biggest differences is that the Sonata motor has the Direct Injection for improved fuel economy...on the performance side of things, I'm not sure just how good or bad that is.

Off the bat, without knowing anything, I would say that with the experience that Mitsu has had over years and years of working and refining the 4G63 engine found in anything from Lancer Evolutions of the early 90's to Eclipse GS-T/GS-X's and now the more modern Evo 8's, 9's, and 10's...I would bet that an Evo motor is built better Hyundai's first or second attempt at a turbo 4cyl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts