Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys MS here...

I have a 2012 Sonata 2.0T and I've had this happen to me several times already, I'll press my foot down on my brake, and press the start button, but my car won't start, all the lights turn on and the light on the ignition turns blue, not red (for ACC)... So I turn it off and try it again, and once again, no start...

It's not showing that it's not recognizing my foot depressed on the brake, or else it'll show a message saying to press the brake and press the start button.

I then continued to try a bold move... Putting the car into neutral and voila...

It works!

So the real question is... What's causing the problem? It doesn't happen all the time, seems to me it only happens in the morning, or is that a coincidence, I'm not sure yet, but I'll keep updating on what's causing the issue.

I can't bring it into the shop because the dealership will just say that there is no problem and I would have wasted a day of my life.

Thanks ahead for the suggestions/answers!

-MS

·
Registered
275 Posts
Brake switch. Known issue. Warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was a brake switch, it won't start at all, isn't that how it works? I would also get a message to tell me to put my foot on the brake, but I don't get that message.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What am I missing here?

Do you still have warranty coverage? Let the dealer look at it.

Hey guys MS here...

It's not showing that it's not recognizing my foot depressed on the brake, or else it'll show a message saying to press the brake and press the start button.
-MS

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
The putting it in neutral leads me to believe that maybe the shifter position switch is slightly out of whack.

Next time it happens shift to neutral and then back to park a little more firmly (don't slam it) and see if it works.

·
Registered
628 Posts
when my brake switch started to fail it happened once, then started fine for a short while, then it happened again, etc. So it doesn't just stop working 100%, but slowly fades away.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
If moving the shifter caused the vehicle to start then I would suspect the inhibitor switch is the cause. See attached bulletin. It's either going to be the inhibitor switch problem or the brake switch problem. Have both checked out.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
BTW,, hold push button for 10 seconds and it'll crank and fire if it not work with brake pedal application..

Now for some quick inspection.. had recall brake light switch done in last couple month ??

Look at brake light switch mounting under dash, need a light to see,, is it the old style switch with the white plastic mounting ?? Recall part is now double nut on the brake light switch nose, not plastic mounting..

Got VIN so I can check recall status.

Fault code search with GDS will find DTC in the ABS/ESC module if switch fault been detected enough to set DTC, but currently running 110 recall which you might could very well qualify for..

No need to "waste a day".... drop the thing off night before,, go about your business the day of, and pick car up on way home..

·
Registered
486 Posts
If moving the shifter caused the vehicle to start then I would suspect the inhibitor switch is the cause. See attached bulletin. It's either going to be the inhibitor switch problem or the brake switch problem. Have both checked out.
Get yourself mentally prepared to wait for x minutes/hours & then have the Svc Rep tell you there is no Code showing.
With MY Inhibitor Switch failure it took Two (temp) No-starts and a return trip to the dealer for the code to show.
With either Switch issue they can't warranty what doesn't show as a Code.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts