Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
DocV, thanks for posting the link. I read again, even though I had also read it previously.

I think this doesn't bode well for Toyota, Honda or Nissan. For one thing, their V6s will lag behind the Fuel Economy of Hyundai (who woulda thunk?) and for another they don't have an answer for the juggernaut of new incoming product-in-pipeline that Hyundai is unleashing like a horde of invaders rising over the horizon.

Hyundai's patented, twin-scroll turbo is such a design coup that only the very keenly aware of the automotive geek set can appreciate the simplicity, of packaging so much power in such a compact power plant (2.0 engine). Yet the power equation game changer for Hyundai will be even more stunning once they begin using this turbo across all of their DI engines.

You know if Toyota and Honda had even a krinkle of an idea of what Hyundai had been up to they would've ramped up a design of their own and figured this out. The only other twin scroll design out there is BMW's and theirs is not even as efficient as Hyundai's.

So now, expect that both Toyota and Honda to be the first in line to buy the 2.0 turbo when it launches here as they have already done several tear downs of the current 2011 Sonata. I remember not too long ago, it was Hyundai who was at the head of the line, doing the very same back in the day.

If you look at all these planned product launches, you can see that Hyundai has been systematically challenging and growing in space once thought off limits to them. Tie that in with the fact their tech has so vastly improved and now is moving into the challenging phase-where they are now the ones staking out the rules of the game, with their available DI engines, I4s, V6s and V8s, improved efficiency in fuel economy, and in-house built trannies, that are second to none.

For example, part of their challenging the conventional leaders will be the incorporation of heated/cooled seats in Tucson, Sonata and Elantra, which will become available by the start of 2011. This will be a shot across the bow against the competition who will either be forced to respond or capitulate on pricing or extend their limited 3/36 warranty. It will also put enormous pressures on competitors with so-called premium brand channels, especially among those with weak brands.

The brands that I see most vulnerable are Nissan/Infiniti, then Honda's Acura, and even Toyota/Lexus will not be immune from this. The consumer is already questioning major purchases from two-tier brands, especially now in these volatile economic conditions.

Conventional wisdom once said that you grew your brand and then created the two-tier channel. But Hyundai spent a fortune studying the market in the U.S. and Europe when they were contemplating creating a premium brand channel and concluded that they could build a "premium" space within their brand for less than a third of what their competitors, saving them millions that they could use to develop even more tech and better designs.

Guess what? It's working. Even the skeptics have begrudgingly had to accept this reality. The coming of the Equus, is in my opinion, nothing short of Hyundai's confidence in the market's acceptance of $33k to $40k Hyundais. They can now drive and entrench their premium brand within-a-brand concept even further upmarket. It worked for Genesis, so why not for Equus.

The upcoming Turbo Sonata has all the ingredients for success contained in Hyundai's secret sauce of practical common sense and market savvy. Kudos to them. :thumbsup:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Awesome!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow just can't wait for this to arrive! i have 5 months to decide on the colour lol

I hope some of the big tuning shops develop some engine mods.

·
Registered
486 Posts
>>>> Hyundai's secret sauce >>>

Hyundai's secret sauce and glitter will teach all those other brands that we mean business. But they still won't get it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sounds great, but again I am always worried about that poor turbo and its reliability. I am sure the boost won't be much but with the miles I drive I can't afford a melt down after the warranty is gone.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jun 26 2010, 12:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336384
Sounds great, but again I am always worried about that poor turbo and its reliability. I am sure the boost won't be much but with the miles I drive I can't afford a melt down after the warranty is gone.
Turbos are much better than they used to be. I used to work at an Audi dealer and saw original turbos on 150,000 mile cars still going strong. The only thing (about the Audis) is that they consume a little oil in between changes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jun 26 2010, 03:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336384
Call around and talk to some dealers. Don't tell them you drive a million miles, but just ask about the warranty. Some dealers around here offer a lifetime warranty on drivetrain as long as you get trans maintenance done through them. They figure 99% of their customers sell before 100k, but if a local place offers it that could work out for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For some reason, I thought it would be closer to 6 flat, but that's still pretty incredible for a car that size getting 34mpg on the freeway. I'm definitely looking forward to this being released.

·
Registered
232 Posts
QUOTE (optflv @ Jun 26 2010, 07:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336420
For some reason, I thought it would be closer to 6 flat, but that's still pretty incredible for a car that size getting 34mpg on the freeway. I'm definitely looking forward to this being released.
or less if you figure a turbo should offer low end torque. But just like the current engine, no HP/torque curves and nobody has real WHP dyno. Just dyno butt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not quite sure where people are getting this increased maintenance cost/oil change thing from. I've owned 3 turbocharged cars (2 diesel, one gas), and the maintenance differences are minor. The Jeep is somewhat of an exception, but that's because of the ludicrous exhaust aftertreatment on 2007+ MY diesels in the USA, due to that I have to use very high-spec oil, but that's completely unrelated to the turbocharger. The rest of the maintenance regimen is nothing out of the ordinary. On the Jeep turbodiesel, scheduled oil changes take place on 12,500 mile intervals, but I do it more often.

A properly maintained turbocharged car will last a very long time, don't forget that all those semis you see on the road are pushing well over a million miles before they're scrapped, and they're all turbocharged. If a turbo was unreliable/uneconomical, you wouldn't see them in trucks meant to turn miles for a living. I've never had a problem related to a turbo in any of mine, and will not hesitate to pick up a 2.0T Sonata if it's as good as I think it will be.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jun 27 2010, 12:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336554
True but I drive 25-30K per year so oil changes and maintenance costs would drive me nuts.
I think I read somewhere that Hyundai intends to keep the 10/60/100 warranty even for the Turbo.
I think that's unprecedented for a turbo. You're probably right about increased maintenance. I assume
oil change interval would be reduced by around 2K miles on the Turbo, but I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (optflv @ Jun 27 2010, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336555
I'm not quite sure where people are getting this increased maintenance cost/oil change thing from. I've owned 3 turbocharged cars (2 diesel, one gas), and the maintenance differences are minor. The Jeep is somewhat of an exception, but that's because of the ludicrous exhaust aftertreatment on 2007+ MY diesels in the USA, due to that I have to use very high-spec oil, but that's completely unrelated to the turbocharger. The rest of the maintenance regimen is nothing out of the ordinary. On the Jeep turbodiesel, scheduled oil changes take place on 12,500 mile intervals, but I do it more often.

A properly maintained turbocharged car will last a very long time, don't forget that all those semis you see on the road are pushing well over a million miles before they're scrapped, and they're all turbocharged. If a turbo was unreliable/uneconomical, you wouldn't see them in trucks meant to turn miles for a living. I've never had a problem related to a turbo in any of mine, and will not hesitate to pick up a 2.0T Sonata if it's as good as I think it will be.
Could be just old experiences that make people concerned. Dino oil, no matter how fresh, used to coke on the searing hot turbo bearing. Nowadays, however, many (all?) turbos have a water jacket with coolant circulating from the engine, plus synth oil is so common.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Given the weight of the car, 0-60 time the more typical HP rating would be about 230 or less HP. The real world loss in speed looks consistent with Hyundai Sonata Transmission/ECU intervention measure for fuel economy and longevity. Look at the HP quoted and the cars weight. A3 2.0T is 200 HP and similar weight is 6.5-6.7 0-60. A BMW 128 will do less than 6.0 seconds. A genesis 2.0t at 210 HP is 6.8 seconds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Jun 29 2010, 12:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337006
Given the weight of the car, 0-60 time the more typical HP rating would be about 230 or less HP. The real world loss in speed looks consistent with Hyundai Sonata Transmission/ECU intervention measure for fuel economy and longevity. Look at the HP quoted and the cars weight. A3 2.0T is 200 HP and similar weight is 6.5-6.7 0-60. A BMW 128 will do less than 6.0 seconds. A genesis 2.0t at 210 HP is 6.8 seconds.
It's difficult to do a comparison for the 0-60 time until some of the magazines review the car and we get a (hopefully) better 0-60 time.

I can't wait til the create a flash for the ECU. I would love to see what that engine can do on premium fuel and higher boost.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Jun 28 2010, 11:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337006
I'm pretty sure those vehicles were tested with a dual-clutch or manual transmission. An automatic transmission loses more power between the engine and the tires.

Won't stop me from getting one though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts