Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorweek's Pat Goss had a pretty interesting segment a little while back on tire pressure monitors.

One key point mentioned: Fill your tires with Nitrogen instead of Oxygen to prevent corrosion of the valve stem from the moisture of regular air.This also maintains it's pressure longer and improves gas mileage.

Another point: Using TPMs with replaceable stems so you don't have to pay for a new monitor.

:) http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2924.shtml

·
Banned
630 Posts
nitrogen is supposed to be great stuff...but here's your problem-try getting a flat with nitro...you can't fill with oxygen because of the density differences, you'll drive down the street swearing you lost a balancing magnet the shaking is so severe....

and at least around here not many stations offer nitrogen fill ups...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Hues @ Jun 25 2010, 12:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336100
Motorweek's Pat Goss had a pretty interesting segment a little while back on tire pressure monitors.

One key point mentioned: Fill your tires with Nitrogen instead of Oxygen to prevent corrosion of the valve stem from the moisture of regular air.This also maintains it's pressure longer and improves gas mileage.

Another point: Using TPMs with replaceable stems so you don't have to pay for a new monitor.

:) http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2924.shtml
Well, Pat is partly right. Using nitrogen is not the only way to protect TPMS valves from moisture. If normal dry air
(80% nitrogen) is used, corrosion will not be a problem. Most air compressors have moisture traps, and the best
ones even have active driers to remove moisture. Nitrogen is worth using if it's free, but not really worth paying for.

·
Registered
932 Posts
According to Pat Goss there are a million little things you should be doing to your car. Nobody, not even a mechanic could perform all the tasks he thinks should be done a regular basis. "This should take you about 30 minutes a week," he says. But he's got another 30 minutes a week every show. Within a years time you've got 26 hours a week of stuff to do. And that's only if you stop watching after the first season. Watch him for a few years and won't have time to sleep, all your time will be spent lubing this part and that part and cleaning this and that.

OK, it's an exaggeration. But watch him often enough and it will drive you insane.

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 25 2010, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336103
nitrogen is supposed to be great stuff...but here's your problem-try getting a flat with nitro...you can't fill with oxygen because of the density differences, you'll drive down the street swearing you lost a balancing magnet the shaking is so severe....

and at least around here not many stations offer nitrogen fill ups...

They DO NOT fill your tires with oxygen!!!!!!!!!! (well maybe in NY)
"regular air" is only 20% oxygen and almost 80% nitrogen
Oxygen has a density of 1.43 g/L
Nitrogen has a density of 1.25g/L
Trust me, if you remember any of your physics, this variation WILL NOT cause your car tires to shake and wobble ANY!

This should be "common sense" (sorry, this is a reference to another thread)

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Jun 25 2010, 05:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336172
Trust me, if you remember any of your physics, this variation WILL NOT cause your car tires to shake and wobble ANY!

LOL It will probably only if the nitrogen ends op on one end in the tire and the air on the other end.

·
Registered
66 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Jun 25 2010, 04:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336174
LOL It will probably only if the nitrogen ends op on one end in the tire and the air on the other end.
That is not possible as both elements are gasses at room temperature. There can never be a demarcation line between these two gases. Gaseous atoms bounce around so much faster than other phases of matter. As soon as you mix them, they will reach a homogeneous mixture in a matter of seconds. If the two were, say, a liquid, then density WOULD come into play and you would see a clear demarcation line (assuming they have different optical characteristics) Sorry for the technical descriptions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hate to bring this up, but nitrogen in your tires in a S-H-A-M, sham. Blah, blah, blah, nitrogen will give you better MPG, and your tires will last longer, and your horse will become a unicorn... but it's bunk. Keep your tires properly inflated with good ol' air to the appropriate pressure, and you'll be just great. Nitrogen can make the interior of your tires oxidize less, but the outside of your tire is surrounded by good old fashioned air. They'll dry-rot from the outside regardless of what they're filled with.

Fill them with air, keep them properly inflated, and replace them if they start to dry-rot, or they are worn. It amazes me how gullible people are, nitrogen is just a way for them to charge you a bunch of cash for something that costs them pennies, and offers not benefit.

**Also, if you have tires full of nitrogen, feel free to add air. It will never... ever... ever cause an imbalance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On a totally serious note, I have found some fantastic synthetic blinker fluid that has vastly improved the smoothness and efficiency of my blinkers. Just PM me if you want some.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Jun 25 2010, 05:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336172

Lol try it and report back DOC........and when your car is shaking like an 80yr old with parkinsons u can pay pal me $1 for my efforts at [email protected] :thumbsup: lol

QUOTE (optflv @ Jun 25 2010, 11:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336232
On a totally serious note, I have found some fantastic synthetic blinker fluid that has vastly improved the smoothness and efficiency of my blinkers. Just PM me if you want some.
This coming from omgigotvtecfanboi with the civic si lmao

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm going to start my own web site that sells some even better gas for filling tires. Maybe Argon or one of the other noble gases. It won't react with anything, it gets better MPG (prove me wrong) and it way more expensive so it has to be better. Anybody interested in taking first delivery?

·
Registered
167 Posts
The only realistic advantage of having pure N2 in your tires is that it will stay in there longer (larger molecules then O2). Totally not worth going out of your way to get it.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ Jun 27 2010, 01:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336473
The only realistic advantage of having pure N2 in your tires is that it will stay in there longer (larger molecules then O2). Totally not worth going out of your way to get it.
True. I wonder what percentage of nitrogen a tire contains after it has been topped off a
couple of times?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts