Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To SE owners: How would you describe the feel and function of your paddle shifters. Solid and precise, or is there any flimsiness?

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (Hues @ Apr 29 2010, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317999
To SE owners: How would you describe the feel and function of your paddle shifters. Solid and precise, or is there any flimsiness?
I honestly think Hyundai did a good job here. They work good, but i'm not using them very often...no need when you driving on the highway most of the time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (Hues @ Apr 29 2010, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317999
They work pretty well. I mainly use them if I need that sudden burst to pass someone or get ahead of something (like a impeeding red light!). The quality is there - they don't feel flimsey.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For the short period I have had the SE, its something more for **** and giggles. I would actually prefer to use the manual gate shifter as opposed to the paddles. Regardless, its nice to have :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have had the car since May 2010 and I never really used the paddle shifters but lately I've been playing around with them while driving and I gotta say it is a lot of fun to use these. I found in the beginning I was watching the tach. and deciding when to upshift but I started to get the feel of the engine just like a real manual shift.

When I start out the tach gets to about 3k rpm's by the time I upshift to 2nd. Then for the 3rd. and 4th. gears the rpm's are near 4k and the acceleration is powerful and smooth.

Coming to a stop I will downshift to 3rd. and then let the car downshift to 1st. automatically on it's own by the time I come to a complete stop. I find downshifting from 3rd. to 2nd. is a little jerky and races the engine alot.

Those with the SE and the turbo models should give it a chance and I think you'll enjoy this feature as much as I do. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally I'd say it's definitely not worth getting a SE just for the paddle shifters, using the gate to shift if just as convenient (and it's easier to use if your wheel isn't straight at the time!) It's really more of a novelty in my opinion, however, I must say it is fun to just tap the down paddle a few times to initiate a pass. I really try to ignore the manual mode in general though because it just reminds me how much I miss having an actual clutch/6spd haha, not to mention the response and feel on the slushbox's manual mode is depressing compared to an actual manual tranny downshift. With that said it's still nice to be able to have a certain level of control in an automatic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The times I have found the paddles useful is when in bumper to bumper traffic and you got that jerk in front of you in the fast lane and he or she keeps slowing down until you try to pass them. The paddles work real well to shift down and back up while keeping both hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have add so i use them a good bit. i drove an hour to school mon wed fri..id say i use the, 60-80% of the time. sometimes ill use the stick..the paddles are better when u need to keep both hands on the wheel. i also found them VERY useful in the snow up and down hills. i didnt want to take both hands off the wheel to shift so it really helped on snow covered hills.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Paddles are great for fun, but I think their build quality is very lax. My left (-) shifter broke last week and the dealer is ordering parts for it. Possibly due to the low temps up here (we have had several weeks of temps in the teens). Either way, I am a little suspect of them but they are really cool to show off with!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts