Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I was going over the pamphlet that I got from the dealer regarding maintenance services needed for my 2009 Santa Fe. I have some queries and hope the experts here can shed some light

- Replace fuel tank air filter every 24 months
Where on earth is this filter? Is it necessary?

- Replace fuel filter every 42 months
Again where is this thing? Is it really necessary?

- Inspect valve clearance every 48 months
Really?

Any info or comments are most welcome and appreciated!!

Regards,

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi Folks,

I was going over the pamphlet that I got from the dealer regarding maintenance services needed for my 2009 Santa Fe. I have some queries and hope the experts here can shed some light

- Replace fuel tank air filter every 24 months
Where on earth is this filter? Is it necessary? I asked service mgr about this several years back, he said they don't ever change them for any routine scheduled maintenance. I doubt most DIY folks do either. Mine is original, never changed. I watched a youtube video on it, didn't look too hard. Was located under the wheel well lining of back tire by gas tank lines. Couple of hose clamps on rubber hoses to remove the bolted-on filter assy and replace.

- Replace fuel filter every 42 months
Again where is this thing? Is it really necessary? From what I understand, this is a sock-like screen that is part of the fuel pump assy and is located inside the gas tank. You replace the filter / sock screen if/when you replace the fuel pump. Mine has never been changed.

- Inspect valve clearance every 48 months
Really? I have not done this on my 153k mile Sonata engine. I hear injector noise but no valve noise after all these years

Any info or comments are most welcome and appreciated!!

Regards,
I am no expert but also share the 3.3L engine from my 2006 Sonata. Original owner, now 153k very trouble free miles. My opinion to your questions are above in BLUE

·
Registered
882 Posts
My answer is no, none of them need to be checked or replaced until they fail. Just do regular oil change and get clean regular gas from good gas station such as shell

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Just do regular oil change and get clean regular gas from good gas station such as shell

Agree. Use gasoline from Top Tier stations and you will avoid the fuel delivery problems that can develop over time from cheaper (not necessarily lower price) gasoline. And don't skimp on oil quality or change intervals. Personal choice: Mobil 1 5W-20 and OEM filter every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The recommended schedule from the dealer (pamphlet) or the actual owner's manual. A huge difference.

The owner's manual is your bible for maintenance

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Folks, thank you very much for the comments. Much appreciated!

I don't mind changing the fuel filter once in a while. For my old Nissan Maxima, it was located on the fire wall between the passenger cabin and engine bay. So not too difficult to access. But if it is inside the fuel tank for the SF, forget it. I only buy gas from big names e.g. Shell, Esso etc.

As for the valve clearance check, I thought it has been make obsolete with the modern design of engines. I have not heard any noise from the valve train yet. SO I am not going to worry about it.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
196 Posts
lo-tse:

How many km. on your Santa Fe?

I now have 277,000 km. on my 2007 Limited AWD.

I have never changed the fuel tank air filter or the fuel filter. I have the original NGK iridium spark plugs and the car starts quickly winter and summer and still gets the same mileage as when new; 11.5 L/100km. average.

I have never inspected or adjusted the valve clearance. There is no valve train noise whatsoever.

I changed the oil and filter (quality 5W20 regular oil and OEM filter) per the manual every 12,000km. The car does not burn any oil and I have never had to top up between 12,000km. changes.

I have no rust and the interior and paint on the exterior look very close to new.

Based on the condition of 2003 Santa Fe's currently advertised on Kijiji; I'm hoping to get another 4 to 5 years and ~ 400,000km. out of this vehicle.

Best of luck with yours.

Regards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lo-tse:

How many km. on your Santa Fe?

I now have 277,000 km. on my 2007 Limited AWD.

I have never changed the fuel tank air filter or the fuel filter. I have the original NGK iridium spark plugs and the car starts quickly winter and summer and still gets the same mileage as when new; 11.5 L/100km. average.

I have never inspected or adjusted the valve clearance. There is no valve train noise whatsoever.

I changed the oil and filter (quality 5W20 regular oil and OEM filter) per the manual every 12,000km. The car does not burn any oil and I have never had to top up between 12,000km. changes.

I have no rust and the interior and paint on the exterior look very close to new.

Based on the condition of 2003 Santa Fe's currently advertised on Kijiji; I'm hoping to get another 4 to 5 years and ~ 400,000km. out of this vehicle.

Best of luck with yours.

Regards.
Hi there,

Good to hear from owner from the same area:smile:.

I have ~ 192K km on mine. Glad to hear that the fuel tank air filter and the fuel filter have little impact on the operation of the car.
I am planning to change the plugs myself this summer. I bought the plugs from Rock Auto already. I figure that I only have to change the plugs once :grin2:before I am done with the car. Wow, you got close to 280k km on the same set of plugs and the car still runs fine, ehh.

I have the similar oil changing schedule as you - every 12,000 km using OEM filter and synthetic 5W20 (Can tire house brand). I did the same thing to my previous car (a Nissan Maxima), drove it for 10 years and absolutely no problem.

I have some rust on the structural components on the underside but the exterior was fine (it has been almost 9 years). But I have to complain about the driver seat - the side cushion (of the seat) was bad and it completely collapsed 2-3 years ago. Also, I think I heard my front bearings started to squeal a little, not serious. I'll wait until it get bad before changing it.

Thank again for responding!

Regards,

·
Registered
196 Posts
lo-tse:

Just had mine into Midas (I know, the reputation) today to replace the power steering rack. While I was there I asked the service manager for an opinion on my spark plug strategy. Specifically, I told him about the kilometers and years on the plugs and asked; if I wait until I get some signal that the plugs need to be replaced will you be able to get them out of the cylinder head? That is because the plugs are steel and the cylinder head is aluminum. He said: don't worry about it, no problem, we will replace them when needed.

I do not know where you are servicing your car, but I can highly recommend Midas on Dufferin. I started going there 5 months ago when I needed the catalytic converter replaced. I was having service done at the Hyundai Dealership on Dufferin and the service manager said that I needed a new catalytic converter. He said that it would be ~ $1,200 at the dealership, but if I went to Midas it would be about half that???

Anyway, I took his advice and had the catalytic converter replaced at Midas and it was about half the cost. Since then, including the converter, I have had over $3,000 of work done at Midas. As I said, the car has 277,000km. and based on the current condition, mechanical and structural, I think I might be able to get 400,000 out of it.

I have switched my service to this location because it is an unbelievably professional outlet.

The service manager, Sin, is very knowledgeable and all the mechanics are certified and extremely competent and certified. Unlike the service advisors at the dealer, Sin does not upsell, he has even identified issues that will need dealing with soon, or later, but not now.

I have asked other costumers in the waiting room about how long they have been coming there and what their experience has been and many have said that they have been coming for quite some time and all have said that they cannot believe how well the place is run and that they are very pleased and will continue to go there.

Anyway, because you are in Toronto, I wanted to pass this on.

Best regards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lo-tse:

Just had mine into Midas (I know, the reputation) today to replace the power steering rack. While I was there I asked the service manager for an opinion on my spark plug strategy. Specifically, I told him about the kilometers and years on the plugs and asked; if I wait until I get some signal that the plugs need to be replaced will you be able to get them out of the cylinder head? That is because the plugs are steel and the cylinder head is aluminum. He said: don't worry about it, no problem, we will replace them when needed.

I do not know where you are servicing your car, but I can highly recommend Midas on Dufferin. I started going there 5 months ago when I needed the catalytic converter replaced. I was having service done at the Hyundai Dealership on Dufferin and the service manager said that I needed a new catalytic converter. He said that it would be ~ $1,200 at the dealership, but if I went to Midas it would be about half that???

Anyway, I took his advice and had the catalytic converter replaced at Midas and it was about half the cost. Since then, including the converter, I have had over $3,000 of work done at Midas. As I said, the car has 277,000km. and based on the current condition, mechanical and structural, I think I might be able to get 400,000 out of it.

I have switched my service to this location because it is an unbelievably professional outlet.

The service manager, Sin, is very knowledgeable and all the mechanics are certified and extremely competent and certified. Unlike the service advisors at the dealer, Sin does not upsell, he has even identified issues that will need dealing with soon, or later, but not now.

I have asked other costumers in the waiting room about how long they have been coming there and what their experience has been and many have said that they have been coming for quite some time and all have said that they cannot believe how well the place is run and that they are very pleased and will continue to go there.

Anyway, because you are in Toronto, I wanted to pass this on.

Best regards.
Thank you for the tip. I'll keep that in mind.

Currently, I service my car at a garage in Markham. This place is run by 2 brothers. Both are certified and experienced mechanics. One used to work at Toyota, the other at Hyundai. So far, I am happy with their service.

Regards,

·
Registered
196 Posts
lo-tse:

OK, glad to hear that you are in good hands.

Happy motoring!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts