Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

Been looking at the Sonata Hybrid. My local dealer has a 2012 Sonata Hybrid with 33k on it. Since its used and second purchase, I am not getting original warranty past the 5/60k. The dealer did offer a power train warranty of unto 100k but my biggest concern was about the battery warranty. I heard on new purchases that the batteries are warrantied for life.

I was wondering if anyone knew of some extended plans that included batteries.

Should I be concerned about not having a battery warranty?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great question. I wish I had an answer for you. The battery warranty was one of the features that drew me to this car. My '13 is very likely to be my daughter's first car 6 years from now, so I fully intend to use the battery warranty eventually.

I'm very interested in the answer as I'm generally not a new car guy and really grappled with the new vs used Sonata Hybrid decision.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I searched the web and I can't find any extended warranties for the hybrid battery. Hyundai
tested their batteries for over 300K miles back in 2010 without any problems. We have members here with over 80K miles and no one has had any problems with them yet. If at all possible you should be able to pick up a new 2013 Base HSH for about $20K and a Limited for $25K which will give you about 2 mpg better than a 2011-2012.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use to work for a dealer and all I can tell you is it comes down to how long do you think you will own the car? If you plan to trade it in before 100k miles than does it matter? In terms of the cost of the extra warranty do not spend more than 1400 that's plenty. The dealer gets them from 650-950 in cost so you can negotiate that into the deal. I would like to know how much they are selling it for? Because I think that versus new would help me nudge in the direction I felt most confident. I just bought a limited with Nav no sunroof though and I got it for 24k and change so its up to you. Wish you the best!

·
Registered
749 Posts
How much does it cost to replace the hybrid battery?

·
Registered
200 Posts
The price I quoted is just for the battery, if you are spending that kind of money I would figure you would replace all the other parts as well so the cost would be $6295.85 plus labor!
If you get to do this I don't think the car is worth it, so the only option would be to trade it.
I don't think you would get much selling it, not with that in repairs required.

·
Registered
235 Posts
For the 2012 Hybrid, non original owner battery warranty is 10/100k.

If car has only 1 previous owner, ask the dealership to CPO the car. If they can't CPO the car, I wouldn't buy it.

CPO, you keep the original 10/100k power train warranty, the remainder of the 5/60k new vehicle warranty. Plus you get 10/unlimited road side assistance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
While I am very happy to have a lifetime warranty on that battery...

I'd expect the battery to outlast most of our ownership of these cars.

It's a percentage game, if they may pay that warranty in (maybe) 1 out of 20 cars,
and the repair does not cost THEM $6295, then they win. The promise conveys confidence at shopping time but it won't cost them much in the long run.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Interesting, the dealer told me that they replaced both batteries in my car before I bought it and they cost about $600. I didn't think the hybrid batteries were that cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts