Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For pre Aug. 2006 Sonata with the 3.3L V6 the crankshaft pulley on the 3.8L Gen is the same as ours according to Hyundai P/N's. So the light weight Gen pulley from the 3.8L should work just fine. However after Aug. 2006 the Sonata has a different pulley on the V6 and its a different P/N then the early ones and the Gens. I am not sure the differences. I do have an early 06 so I ordered the 3.8L gen lightweight crank pulley and I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
=D yay haha lol ive got an december 05 unit so this should be intresting hehe.
so which one you going with, RRM or OBX?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366539
For pre Aug. 2006 Sonata with the 3.3L V6 the crankshaft pulley on the 3.8L Gen is the same as ours according to Hyundai P/N's. So the light weight Gen pulley from the 3.8L should work just fine. However after Aug. 2006 the Sonata has a different pulley on the V6 and its a different P/N then the early ones and the Gens. I am not sure the differences. I do have an early 06 so I ordered the 3.8L gen lightweight crank pulley and I will let you know how it works out.
****... I was hoping it was all the same. How different could it be? I would be the guinea pig for the 09-10 but I really don't want to attempt taking off the crank bolt lol.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (riceR @ Oct 26 2010, 06:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366589
****... I was hoping it was all the same. How different could it be? I would be the guinea pig for the 09-10 but I really don't want to attempt taking off the crank bolt lol.
Honestly no one can tell me why they are different. I am willing to bet that it will still work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (riceR @ Oct 26 2010, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366589
haha yea that **** pulley is buried under alot of crap and the space in there is tight as is much less trying to put a tq wrench in there to pop that crank bolt off which from what i heard is torqued at like 180 ib.ft so that should be alot of fun heh

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (NubR1 @ Oct 26 2010, 07:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366594
haha yea that **** pulley is buried under alot of crap and the space in there is tight as is much less trying to put a tq wrench in there to pop that crank bolt off which from what i heard is torqued at like 180 ib.ft so that should be alot of fun heh
Its actually 206 - 224 ft lbs. LOL I will assume I can take the wheels off and get at it with an impact gun......hopefully

·
Registered
337 Posts
yea thats gonna be intresting you should take some pics when you do it so I will have some hope when i get one next week, heh another thing also to be aware of is that you may need to heat up the pulley before putting it on, back when my brother put his alloy pulley on his Neon ACR he had to bake it in the oven at like 350 for about ten minutes so it would fit right cause cold it was slightly too small an really didnt wanna fit. but a little heat got it on there an made a nice difference in engine response.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (NubR1 @ Oct 26 2010, 07:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366598
yea thats gonna be intresting you should take some pics when you do it so I will have some hope when i get one next week, heh another thing also to be aware of is that you may need to heat up the pulley before putting it on, back when my brother put his alloy pulley on his Neon ACR he had to bake it in the oven at like 350 for about ten minutes so it would fit right cause cold it was slightly too small an really didnt wanna fit. but a little heat got it on there an made a nice difference in engine response.
Thats really odd.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This thread is way over my head. But since I have the vehicle in question I am interested. Is this a repair, supplement or esthetic?
Anyone able to explain what you are talking about?

·
Registered
550 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Oct 31 2010, 10:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367833
This thread is way over my head. But since I have the vehicle in question I am interested. Is this a repair, supplement or esthetic?
Anyone able to explain what you are talking about?
This pulley drives the serpentine belt which in turn spins the alternator, power steering pump, A/C, and in some cars the water pump. The pulley is bolted to the outside of the crankshaft and is normally a solid steel disc that is about 5-6 inches in diameter and perhaps 2 inches in thick. It can weigh several pounds. Because it is relatively heavy and spins, it has a lot of rotational inertia. That's bad because it requires torque to spin. By replacing the steel pulley with a light weight pulley, it allows the engine to spin easier. That's what gives the car more power at the wheels.

Depending on the exact car and new pulley, it can add anywhere from two to six horsepower. Many of the replacement pulleys are not only lightweight but smaller in diameter. Because they are smaller, they spin that much easier. The smaller light weight pulleys can add up to eight or ten horsepower. Of course the smaller diameter pulleys make the accessories (alternator, A/C , etc.) spin slower which needs to be part of the decision making process.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Here is the 3.3 crank pulley.... this pic was taken for another prupose, so forgive the partial crank pulley view.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
So the new pulley is designed for a Genesis?
Smaller, so a different size belt is needed?
The water pump has it's own belt?
Any other belts besides the serpentine?
And then changing the sizes of the other parts, doesn't harm/affect anything?

You guys mechanics with nothing else to do?

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Oct 31 2010, 08:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367855
So the new pulley is designed for a Genesis?
Smaller, so a different size belt is needed?
The water pump has it's own belt?
Any other belts besides the serpentine?
And then changing the sizes of the other parts, doesn't harm/affect anything?

You guys mechanics with nothing else to do?
Yes
For the smaller AKA underdrive pulley ones. (but this should be stock size)
Good questions it may be run by this belt or the timing chain I have not really looked.
Nope, not on the Sonata
Not really but could hinder the efficiency of it.

I am. LOL jk I was a tech but no longer I am just a Sonata lover and someone who is into tuning cars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts