Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
367 Posts
With all the sensors, you would think it would have some kind of positive effect on lowering insurance premiums.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sensors can only do so much. after all, the input still has to go thru a human brain

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I'm talking about the sensors that are tied to the safety features built into the vehicle which is independent of human input (outside of human input engaging or disengaging them).

·
Registered
79 Posts
They keep promising that all these safety features will save us money on insurance premiums but the truth of the matter is all of those sensors and control modules cost a lot of $$$. What used to be a simple bumper cover replacement now has to include replacement of sensors, radar units, cameras and often recalibration by a dealership. These safety features are also driving up the cost of windshield replacements. Cars are only going to get more expensive to insure, not less.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
They keep promising that all these safety features will save us money on insurance premiums but the truth of the matter is all of those sensors and control modules cost a lot of $$$. What used to be a simple bumper cover replacement now has to include replacement of sensors, radar units, cameras and often recalibration by a dealership. These safety features are also driving up the cost of windshield replacements. Cars are only going to get more expensive to insure, not less.
As much as I like all the high tech, you are right, it does drive up the cost of repairs.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
717 Posts
The idea is that, while the cost of repairs increases, the number of accidents goes down, thanks to those sensors and active safety features.

Insurance companies will always find a way to milk more money out of us regardless.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what a coincidence. we are backing out of a space after getting lunch to go. the rear alarm goes off, even tho i am looking and dont see anything. then the brakes stop the car, and this suv goes whizzing by. everyone is in a hurry nowdays

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
what a coincidence. we are backing out of a space after getting lunch to go. the rear alarm goes off, even tho i am looking and dont see anything. then the brakes stop the car, and this suv goes whizzing by. everyone is in a hurry nowdays
Yes, and they probably were complaining about you backing out. You are right, everyone is in a hurry. They can see more of you than you can see of them but they don't care about that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
yep! There will be no "lower insurance premiums"..if anything these cars cost MORE to insure...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Glad to hear that it works in the real-world!

·
Registered
2020 Sonata 1.6T Limited, Stormy Sea w/ tan interior & 2021 Palisade Limited, Burgundy w/ beige int.
195 Posts
Yeah, the one thing that these sensors help with a great deal is the speed detection of other vehicles. I've observed it while backing out of spots and on the highway with the blind spot detection. The faster a car is moving, the earlier the sensors alert which makes a huge difference to the driver who may not be able to react in time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the front sensors also work for this. was trying to pull out of a parking lot and my view to the right was blocked by a van right at the exit, so could not see. started inching out and the car beeped and braked as a car went by. They work great for that. they did not help with the deer jumping out in front out us and smashing up the front. as noted, the damage itself did not look bad at all (still drivable, just some warnings on the cluster) but in the end it was $11000 in damages..

·
Registered
2020 Sonata 1.6T Limited, Stormy Sea w/ tan interior & 2021 Palisade Limited, Burgundy w/ beige int.
195 Posts
the front sensors also work for this. was trying to pull out of a parking lot and my view to the right was blocked by a van right at the exit, so could not see. started inching out and the car beeped and braked as a car went by. They work great for that. they did not help with the deer jumping out in front out us and smashing up the front. as noted, the damage itself did not look bad at all (still drivable, just some warnings on the cluster) but in the end it was $11000 in damages..
Wow man! Sorry to hear that for sure!

Also likely underused are the different camera angles selectable on the screen when in view mode (front or rear). I use those pretty regularly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love these features. I have 135K miles on a 2016 Sonata and 50K miles on a 2019 Santa Fe. The lane changing warning has saved me a few times. I use the auto hold all the time and love it, especially on a hill. The smart cruise is great in traffic, except for the people that insist in cutting in the space directly in front of you. And it does make some mistakes at time.
The lane holding is especially good on long boring trips. Like I just did 2000 miles+ on Interstate 10 west of San Antonio. Even with a 80mph speed limit it is boring. The auto steering and lane holding helps keep you on the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts