Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

in the workshop manual, I can't find the procedure to replace the fuel filter. Can you help me find it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,339 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a Matrix manual, but here is the procedure for another Hyundai model that is fitted with the same diesel engine. I'm sure your car will be very similar.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow thanks a lot !
I am replacing it now

Do you happen to know where is the oil filter on this engine ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
I'm guessing a 2004 model will have the 3 cylinder engine, in which case the oil filter is at the back of the engine. On some engines it's a spin on filter and on others is a paper cartridge type.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, that's helps a lot ! Thank you.

This is a paper cartridge type indeed and I found it as you said at the back of the engine below the windshield on the passenger's side.

It's leaking...so maybe I should replace the whole part and not only the paper filter. Do you have the procedure to do this ? Thanks

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
If there is a leak back there it's more likely to be the oil cooler hoses than the component itself. Or maybe someone make a pigs ear if fitting the seal on the plastic cap at the last oil change. I've seen leaks caused by that a few times when a careless mechanic has put the seal (rubber O-ring) in the wrong slot on the cap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your very swift answer !
Ok that's good news. So I am gonna try to unscrew the cap, replace the paper cartridge, and correctly place the rubber O-ring and see how it goes.
Do you the dimensions of the oil filter wrench I need to unscrew the cap (I have to buy one) ?

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
"I think" it's 80mm x 14...80mm X 14 Flutes Filter Wrench.

I should have said in my previous post, when changing a paper filter I usually unscrew the cap just enough to expose the top of the seal. I then remove the drain plug and allow the oil to drain out of the sump. Then I go back and completely removing the plastic filter cap and the old filter. Loosening the cap and letting it sit for a few minutes allows the oil in the filter housing to drain away before you remove the filter. Saves a bit of mess...most of the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your advice for the oil filter.

I have an issue : I replaced the fuel filter, put it back in place and now the engine is not starting...:cautious:
Can you help me figure this out ?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
Did you bleed the filter & prime the high pressure pump using the primer bulb, as detailed in "INSPECTION" section of the printout above? Did the primer bulb get hard?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing is I don't see the pump (J) as described in the printout above. Can you help me find it on the picture attached ?

I don't find it either on the service manual, which section could it be in, engine mechanical, fuel system ? I don't see the replacement procedure.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
Now that I think about it the 3 cylinder version of the engine has an electric lift pump in the fuel tank, so maybe it doesn't have the hand pump.
What I would do in that case is bypass the fuel pump relay and let the electric pump run for a couple of minutes which should fill the filter and prime the pump.
The pump relay will be on the engine bay fusebox. There should be a diagram of the fusebox inside the lid that will show you which one it is. Remove the relay then use a short link wire to bridge the two terminals on the relay socket as shown below. Let the pump run for a couple of minutes then try and start it. If it fires up switch it off, remove the link wire and refit the relay, then check that it still starts and runs OK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok i just tried to short circuit the fuel pump relay, for about 5 min !
And the engine still won't start...
What do you think ?

Your help is really precious thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the full service manual here, but I don't see the procedure for my model similar to the one you printed out above.

I tried unplugging the second hose from the top, then short-circuit the fuel pump to make it work....the second pipe is flowing out.
I tried unscrewing below the fuel filter, then short-circuit the fuel pump to make it work, and fuel is flowing out from the hole below the fuel filter. Screwed it back on, the try to start the engine.

Still won't start...:cautious:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I just discovered that my fuel-filter water sensor is dead. The wires are cut. I just bought a spare. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
The sensor wiring can get damaged when someone unscrews it while it's still plugged in. You need to unplug the sensor so the wiring is free to rotate along with the sensor when it's being removed/refitted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, that's what must have happened when I tried and unscrew it to purge water. I hope that the engine will start with this new water sensor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I welded the wires of the old sensors (until I receive the new one, which I just did, not installed yet).
And I reversed the to hoses at the top of the fuel filter, and now the engine starts! yooohooo !

I had misplaced the hoses at the top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts