Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air bag indicator was on , Horn won't work. Follow the series of pics and notes .

Attachments

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Air bag indicator was on , Horn won't work. Follow the series of pics and notes .
A couple of things.

Step 1.
No need to disconnect the battery and loose memory of all modules. Just pull the fuse for the SRS system. Also regardless of how you remove power from the system you'll want to wait 10 minutes for the system to discharge.
Step 2.
Those are torx and not hex.

Final thoughts.

If you do this you'll want to take resistance measurements and be sure none of the leads of the stripe are shorted together or you could trigger the bag to deploy when power is resumed.
I would suggest you buy an new clockspring and avoid possible BIG money repair because you tried to save a few bucks.

Glad it worked for you but your routine needed a bit of tweeking.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,324 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure these things are worth fixing though. I mean Scotsmen are know for being careful with their money, but even I would rather just spend the £10 for a brand new clockspring off ebay than spend time soldering my broken one.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I guess I am the oddball, clockspring cable as part of Extended Warranty on YF Sonata

Attachments

Reactions: grcauto

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I guess I am the oddball, clockspring cable as part of Extended Warranty on YF Sonata

Who bothers with warranty stuff when you can void the warranty by fixing it yourself. >:D

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
Well, that would be great if the OP had a YF Sonata.

I know he didn't say specifically, but looking at the photos coupled with the fact this is the Trajet forum, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he drives a Hyundai Trajet. A 2000MY too judging by the build date on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A couple of things.

Step 1.
No need to disconnect the battery and loose memory of all modules. Just pull the fuse for the SRS system. Also regardless of how you remove power from the system you'll want to wait 10 minutes for the system to discharge.
Step 2.
Those are torx and not hex.

Final thoughts.

If you do this you'll want to take resistance measurements and be sure none of the leads of the stripe are shorted together or you could trigger the bag to deploy when power is resumed.
I would suggest you buy an new clockspring and avoid possible BIG money repair because you tried to save a few bucks.

Glad it worked for you but your routine needed a bit of tweeking.
Battery should be disconnected, Manual recommends that,and logic . You have to eliminate any possibility of electrical current going into the air bag module.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Battery should be disconnected, Manual recommends that,and logic . You have to eliminate any possibility of electrical current going into the air bag module.
I guess everybody miss that part in post 4 up above (look at pic closely) ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure these things are worth fixing though. I mean Scotsmen are know for being careful with their money, but even I would rather just spend the £10 for a brand new clockspring off ebay than spend time soldering my broken one.
Thanks for the advice .To me, it's a challenge to do so , you wouldn't believe, how crazy I get with these things.I mean, have you imagined a person, carrying a spare ECM under the passenger seat, I do . ???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that would be great if the OP had a YF Sonata.

I know he didn't say specifically, but looking at the photos coupled with the fact this is the Trajet forum, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he drives a Hyundai Trajet. A 2000MY too judging by the build date on the steering wheel.
Excuse me, do you work for CSI Miami ?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
You are using the wrong manual. Factory manual will NOT have you disconnect the battery. Without the fuse the module is OUT of the system.

BTW that's why sbr711 mentioned his picture in post #4. The dash lights are on... battery connected....He's a master Hyundai tech....tell him how he did it wrong.

Your repair is incomplete not making sure your soldering job did not short something. If someone follows your outline and they have a short that deploys the bag do you have any idea what the cost is to repair your flawed 'fix'? If someone is in the front seat it could kill them, How would your flawed information play out in a court of law? The very least you should have a disclaimer on the repair procedure and what it may do if not performed properly.
One of the main reasons I don't give out info to novices on SRS systems or hybrid vehicles where they may get into the inverter or other HV components. These things need to be done by a professional and not a backyard mechanic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are using the wrong manual. Factory manual will NOT have you disconnect the battery. Without the fuse the module is OUT of the system.

Your repair is incomplete not making sure your soldering job did not short something. If someone follows your outline and they have a short that deploys the bag do you have any idea what the cost is to repair your flawed 'fix'? If someone is in the front seat it could kill them, How would your flawed information play out in a court of law? The very least you should have a disclaimer on the repair procedure and what it may do if not performed properly.
One of the main reasons I don't give out info to novices on SRS systems or hybrid vehicles where they may get into the inverter or other HV components. These things need to be done by a professional and not a backyard mechanic.
I have a Hyundai manual ,and the cover page was included in the thumbnails ,it states that battery must be disconnected. The logic behind that is many other things can be controlled through the steering wheel,and removing the air bag fuse does not cut the power on other things, common sense.
I posted what I did ,so any body who feels qualified enough can do it. And I put two or more warning notes on the thumbnails ,to show how dangerous this is.
For the job quality, I have no problem with that , I'm an electronics engineer.
Have a nice day .

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I have a Hyundai manual ,and the cover page was included in the thumbnails ,it states that battery must be disconnected. The logic behind that is many other things can be controlled through the steering wheel,and removing the air bag fuse does not cut the power on other things, common sense.

No, not common sense to remove all memory of the PCM, the TCM, Seats, mirrors, radio and anything else to get to the clockspring. You probably have a Haynes manual or similar. They know the people using them are not to bright and so they CYA.

I posted what I did ,so any body who feels qualified enough can do it. And I put two or more warning notes on the thumbnails ,to show how dangerous this is.
For the job quality, I have no problem with that , I'm an electronics engineer.
Have a nice day .
I'm done here. If you get suited, Oh well.....

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
No, not common sense to remove all memory of the PCM, the TCM, Seats, mirrors, radio and anything else to get to the clockspring.
Regardless of whether you think it's common sense or not, disconnecting the battery is in the SRS repair procedures in the official Hyundai manuals, and the official manuals for every other manufacturer I've ever worked with.

grcauto said:
I'm done here.
I always have a little chuckle to myself when you say that :laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts