Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in March of 2013. I decided to move on so I sold it back to the dealership last night. My biggest disappointment was that I was never able to get the 34/39 mileage as advertised and I do not have a heavy foot. The car was also jerky and hesitates when pulling away from a stop and transitioning from electric to gas especially when cold. I spoke to the dealership about my concerns and was told there is no recalls or TSBs about my concerns. Also, I was shock to realize this car does not come with a spare tire or jack.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
When researching hybrids before purchasing ours (not a Hyundai) I remember that the Sonata got its best mileage on the highway not around the city which is the opposite of other hybrids out there. All others the best mileage is around town, not highway speeds as the gas engine is running 100% at highway speeds. . Hybrids do jerk a little when you are coasting and exceed the mph for the electric motor and it kicks in while you are coasting. Other than that your symptoms are strange. getting the best mpg out of a hybrid requires a definite driving habit change. Fortunately I was getting 38-39 average on mine but switching to 100% 87 octane gas has boosted that to 40.2 mpg. But, not a Hyundai

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I purchased a new 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in March of 2013. I decided to move on so I sold it back to the dealership last night. My biggest disappointment was that I was never able to get the 34/39 mileage as advertised and I do not have a heavy foot. The car was also jerky and hesitates when pulling away from a stop and transitioning from electric to gas especially when cold. I spoke to the dealership about my concerns and was told there is no recalls or TSBs about my concerns. Also, I was shock to realize this car does not come with a spare tire or jack.
Your dealer didn't check very good on the TSB as one came out in Jun 2013 that fixed that. Also most hybriids don't come with a spare tire anymore just some goop and electric pump to save weight. If you can afford it go with the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid and get close to 50 mpg.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162191-new-multi-ecu-update.html

·
Registered
306 Posts
Your dealer didn't check very good on the TSB as one came out in Jun 2013 that fixed that. Also most hybriids don't come with a spare tire anymore just some goop and electric pump to save weight. If you can afford it go with the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid and get close to 50 mpg.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162191-new-multi-ecu-update.html
I agree that for city driving the Accord is far superior but for mostly hwy is loses much of its advantage (better but not worth the price for hwy IMO).

·
Registered
198 Posts
But one real clincher being left out of the discussion is...does Honda give you free Lifetime Hybrid Battery replacements/service? I haven't looked at the numbers in a while, but I tend to recall that with that one difference alone, you would have to get closer to >70MPG in order to compensate for an assumed battery replacement every 6-8 yrs. I mean, think about how many tanks you can fill with about $3,000, which I believe is around the cost of a hybrid battery replacement after all is said and done. At my current refill rate, this much money could let me drive my HSH gas free for 5 YEARS (I only refill once per month because I'm a student that doesn't drive much)!! But even with my previous refill frequency (maybe once every 2 wks), I would get 2.5 years of "free gas". Hence, if you ever have to personally pay for the battery replacement, your miles per dollar has dropped significantly.

Not to mention that last I checked, Hyundai's OEM warranty (not the extended) is the best I saw when I was in the market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts