Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well seems accents are dropping like flies around here and I'm one of them.

Sold my '08 Accent GS Hatchback with 20k miles and bought a 1989 BMW325iX with 200k miles. ~30mpg vs ~19mpg, go figure.

Finally got fed up with the Accent after everyone seeing it says its such a cute car. With its bland front end and rounded rear end everything about it is unintimidating and it really shows on the roads. Pulling up in the fast lane behind someone they could care less about the little round toy in the rear view mirror and continue on without a care in the world. Pulling up behind someone in my latest BMW, which actually appears slightly smaller when side by side to the accent, being lower and possibly 2 inches narrower, people speed up to get back into the slow lane and out of the way. I have yet to be cut off on the highway in my BMW, but the Accent would be cut off all the time by people in the slow lane suddenly getting the urge to slowly pass the car in front of them soon as I am about to pass by. And of course cant forget the idiots pulling out from side roads in front of the Accent. Maybe its just the change in the seasons changing peoples driving habits, I dunno. But driving is a lot more relaxing and enjoyable now in the BMW.

Anyways before selling the Accent I put it back to stock so in 3 weeks when I get back from vacation I'll put up a for sale thread to sell off AEM air intake, 15" TRMotorsport wheels (no tires), and white sharkfin antenna (if I can clean off the old sticky and put on new sticky.) If you send me PM's now they will be ignored for 3 weeks so wait for my for sale thread with pictures and prices.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you wanted a car to make a statement, then the accent was definitely the wrong car for you.
Good luck with the bimmer, thats a respectable ride and really fun to drive. I have had terrible luck with german cars. I am done with them for now.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (fonque @ Apr 23 2010, 05:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316100
If you wanted a car to make a statement, then the accent was definitely the wrong car for you.
Good luck with the bimmer, thats a respectable ride and really fun to drive. I have had terrible luck with german cars. I am done with them for now.
That's what I like about the Accent. It doesn't stand out like my 1992 Passat did. I too am done with german engineering for now.

Have fun with the bimmer, it's a true driver's car.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Apr 23 2010, 09:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316186
Thoughts on Japanese engineering? Specifically Subaru?
Rust buckets, crap paint, so-so interiors and fit&finish. They are reliable though (except for some versions of their turbo engines that liked to blow headgaskets). The AWD is very good and reliable as well. I wish they offered a cheaper model than the Impreza with AWD.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Subaru's okay but here in Canada they're vastly overpriced IMO. I'm curious to see what they're going to do with their version of the FT-86 that they co-developed with Toyota though and if there was ever a car that they might ever tempt me with it'd be that one. Especially with talks of them making an STI version of it. We'll see though!

OP, sorry to hear that you feel the car was too cute but I've had the opposite experience than you. Most people feel my car, especially compared to other Accents, is rather aggressive looking especially now that I've had work done to it and it will look even more mean once my final three projects get under way. Any car can be made to look tough, you just have to put the work into it. Good luck with the BMW, though second-hand experience and friends with plenty of first-hand experience tells me you might regret it down the line when major systems start breaking...

·
Banned
313 Posts
QUOTE (7435 @ Apr 23 2010, 03:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316066
Sold my '08 Accent GS Hatchback with 20k miles and bought a 1989 BMW325iX with 200k miles. ~30mpg vs ~19mpg, go figure.

Finally got fed up with the Accent after everyone seeing it says its such a cute car.
That has got to be one of the dumbest reasons to sell a car. You didn't like people thinking it was cute? What's the matter, you felt your masculinity was in question because of the car you drive? :puzzled: :unsure:

So you sell a 2 year old car with 20K miles getting 30 mpg for a 21 year old car with 200K miles and only 19 mpg. :huh: :wacko:

[sarcasm]
WOW! Well let me tell you, you are the man now.
[/sarcasm]

Not the deal I woudl have made but it's not my money. Good luck with your Bimmer. I hope you feel more like a man now.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
That may be true, but if you have a good body and a good personality, you can ride a freakin bicycle and the ladies will still be all over you. Shame... should work on those 2 instead of using the car as a crutch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As always the responses are very entertaining.

Those of you that called me out on my masculinity/physical stature, bravo, maybe the tinted windows of the BMW will hide that. Hopefully I'll never have to actually get out of the car. :whistling: Aww crap, I didn't think about that.

Anyways, lets not get into arguments about cars now. I only sold the accent and bought a car I've been looking to get for a long time. The Accent for me was a needed temporary low cost transport, and in my opinion still the best low cost hatchback available. And the cute car aspect is just my own interpretation of how other people view the car on the road, and observations of the change in driving habits of those around the car. Other people must notice it too.

Keep on motoring. Will be fun to see the wider variety of low cost cars while traveling in Europe. Going to have to test drive some.

Now where did my manhood go? I know it must be around here somewhere, I'm going to need it before I leave. :innocent:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
QUOTE (7435 @ Apr 24 2010, 06:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316430
As always the responses are very entertaining.

Those of you that called me out on my masculinity/physical stature, bravo, maybe the tinted windows of the BMW will hide that. Hopefully I'll never have to actually get out of the car. :whistling: Aww crap, I didn't think about that.

Anyways, lets not get into arguments about cars now. I only sold the accent and bought a car I've been looking to get for a long time. The Accent for me was a needed temporary low cost transport, and in my opinion still the best low cost hatchback available. And the cute car aspect is just my own interpretation of how other people view the car on the road, and observations of the change in driving habits of those around the car. Other people must notice it too.

Keep on motoring. Will be fun to see the wider variety of low cost cars while traveling in Europe. Going to have to test drive some.

Now where did my manhood go? I know it must be around here somewhere, I'm going to need it before I leave. :innocent:
A 21 year old BMW wont be a low cost trans. car :grin: Good luck anyhoo!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am a girl, and with the right mods, even guys look at you car, and say, "nice ride" I brought my accent to a mazda meet since i came straight from work, and some of the guys even were asking to check out the inside and under the hood. One guy even bought one as his daily commuter car, because he auto crosses his mazda3.

If you were planning on buying your BMW for a time now, dont just give an excuse that you were tired of you car being called 'cute'. I'm sure if that was the case, why are 90% of accent owners on the forums guys?

Dont get me wrong, I'm totally glad you bought the car you've been looking at. Should just say so next time. No one would be mad if you would of just said that. Although i disagree about the cost difference between the two cars. BMW's are a pain to fix when they do break down, and parts/labor is expensive.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
My car is cute and I'm a guy (and I'll say it is cute.)...  I have never been under the assumption that people should notice this car or be threatened by this weak little turd. :p  It's a great car for what it is.

I appreciate the anonymity this car offers.  I've had cars people found interesting and quite frankly, as someone who doesn't care for social interaction, having to talk to random strangers about it got old very quick.  Nobody ever notices me in this thing and I wouldn't want it any other way.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Bmw = baller lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (7435 @ Apr 23 2010, 03:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316066
Well seems accents are dropping like flies around here and I'm one of them.

Wow, we should have traded. I'm so sick of my 1988 325i money pit that I'm planning to buy a new Accent. Having had 3 BMW E30's in the last 3 years, I'm all done with 20+ year old German engineering. Awesome designs, and fantastic platforms for full-on restomod projects, but way way old.

The iX is especially heinous due to the uber-rare, uber-pricey, and uber-worn-out 4X4 parts. Good luck, I hope you find the awesomeness worth the mental and financial torture.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wonder if his neighbour is Mr. Jones?
Doesn't he know he shoulda got a red one? :whistling:

J/K!! :bwekk:

I'm with the general public here... Its got a good mix of cute and aggression.
I've actually had lots of compliments about mine.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
QUOTE (mrblank @ Apr 25 2010, 10:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316803
Bmw = baller lol 
Repair cost, parts availability and frustration of maintaining a worn out 20 year old BMW = bawler. :crying: :crying: :crying:   At leat I would be. lol!

But whatever floats your boat, if you've got the time and money, enjoy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts