Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BlueLink just sent me a Service Alert for a "software update" issued Dec 14, 2017. Anyone else get this, or have any idea what it relates to?
My car has no operational problems, so I'm not sure if I should take in to the dealer or not.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have seen those download instructions before. Thanks for posting the link. FWIW- I already have Apple Car Play and Android Auto functionality.
I was just wondering what this specific software update is- and how 'urgent' it might be to install it since these updates are reported to take some time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer said they indicate no software update outstanding for my car, and that the format/number seemed to be a map update. They suggest ignoring this "update" as not truly needed. FWIW I cross checked with Mapnsoft's version grid here:
SD Matrix
According to this chart, the version shown in my Nav unit is NEWER than the software version that in my MyHyundai alert.
So I will not be attempting the update process in the Hyundai pdf instructions, at least not now.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Anything with that 16BG SD card deals with GPS, confusing with Hyundai, and international company making vehicles in many different countries. Free GPS updates are available practically in all countries except the USA. Want both arms and legs for a GPS update.

Hooked up with google, wish they did with Garmin, or even Tom-Tom still getting free map updates with a cheap GPS unit even seven years old now.

Using some kind of strange anti-copying protection on the SD card, can't even do a backup, not much of a hacker. With Garmin, not only can you update the memory within the unit, can also save those updates to your computer. I like doing backup's, already tossed a bunch of USB sticks, micro or full SD cards because flashram can become contaminated and won't hold its code, but they are cheap enough to replace.

That SD card in the Hyundai GPS unit is not, around 220 bucks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
669 Posts
The blank card itself? You should be able to replace it for under $8 from eBay. (see pix #1)

You can get the latest NAV software on eBay for about $80 - but not necessarily every version and vehicle is available.

Updates from MapNsoft.com (AKA Hyundai Mapping NA) is a $169 download (more for some Genesis models). v11.5 is current, but 12.0 should be out in January if they follow their usual release schedule for twice every year. It is locked to your VIN using cryptography (AKA DRM).

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
@HoosierHyundai You can (should?) make a backup for your SD card before updating, but of course you don't have to, and most people just download the latest updates to the existing card.

Now, what's on the $103 card from HyundaiOemParts? I bet nothing, frankly. It is like ordering a new D3S HID bulb from them for $160. It is nothing but markup. Believe me, it won't fit or work better than the generic one from eBay. Brand (Osram or Philips 4300°k bulbs are about $60 and that is at least 4× what it should be.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My understanding from both MapNSoft site as well as Hyundai parts is that the Hyundai SD card (sold by part #) contains a version of the nav map software, although typically not the latest version MapNsoft may sell. If it were a simple generic 16G class 10 SD card I suspect the P/N would not be updated periodically and would not differ between Hyundai models (& years) as Hyundai parts schematics show.

While I agree that making a backup of any media you intend to update is a great idea, backing up the Hyundai SD card is not easily done. I have not found any successful on-line reports of doing it. It does not seem to be a simple generic backup or cloning process.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/lf-2015-sonata-i45/424353-sd-map-card.html

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Checked the contents on my copied SD card, exactly the same as the original, one 30 year old trick I am aware of, but have no idea how this works, is the order of how the files are placed on an old floppy, had a verbatim copy program on an old computer, that way I could make a working copy. Using Windows explorer does not do this.

Could be Hyundai is doing the same. Not trying to get rich selling illegal copies, if you sold one to an FBI agent, could get a $250,000.00 fine and five years in prison, just trying to protect my own investment. Media is not bullet proof.

Tried this on version 8.5 that came with my new Limited, learned quickly this version was already a year old, called my dealer, gave me version 9.5 for free, didn't want version 8.5 back, heck, its old and out of date. This is the version I was playing with.

Around 6 or 7 months ago hit setup, connected my Limited to WiFi, got into system info, clicked on updates, saw GPS updated, ended up with version 10.5, recently tried this again when I heard version 11.5 was out, saw updating GPS, now I am back to version 9.5.

Was under the impression, would get five years of free map updates, but didn't realize I was in a UK website. Seems like many different countries are getting free map updates instead of us, should we form a committee?

Last year we made reservations to go up to Bayfield, WI that we could not cancel, had major highway 13 washouts. Google maps showed a different route, complicated with all kinds of backroads. Could have printed out the directions, but learned that same map was updated on my smart phone. Just plugged that into the USB port and took us directly there and back, so are options.

In 2012, we elected to buy a new Cruze, wife wanted factory GPS, no way, $2,500.00 extra just for a couple of extra GPS chips mounted in the radio, already had that touch screen and all the other junk that comes with it. With the Limited, dealer only charged us $1,000.00 extra not only with factor GPS, but a whole other bunch of goodies, so don't feel we have a lot of money tied up in it. Like a sunroof and the Infinity sound system, Cruze wanted another $1,200 bucks just for a slightly better radio.

I did find version 11.5 on ebay, several guys were selling it, claimed to be OEM for 65 bucks, just checked, not on there anymore, couple of guys are trying to sell old versions for as high as 145 bucks, ha, wonder if somebody would give me that much for my old version.

This is how I mounted our Garmin in our Cruze, wife didn't like it until she was driving. that vent just snapped out, took an old cable and put a 7805 in series with it, added a jumper to one of the fuses, no cords hanging all over the place. One it was totaled, took me about 30 seconds to remove it.

Removed that suction cup, worthless, traced the base on a piece of 20 mil brass, foam under it and screwed that to the base for a solid fit, can't do this with the Elantra.

For the Limited, mounted that base to a foam back piece of plexiglass, wife can unsnap it in a second to find points of interest while driving, battery is always charged, can put it in my pocket, can't do this with factory. Did this when we were in Venice, ha, was the only way we could find our way back to where our car was parked. That island has more dead ends than you can shake a stick at.

Also put it in my pocket on an airliner, but only at a window seat, have fun with it, flying at 545 mph at 32,000 feet, doesn't follow the highways, takes short cuts, makes the trip less boring. Sure came handy in Portland, OR, got a new Chrysler 300 with factory GPS that didn't work at all, told the rental company about this, what do you expect, its a Chrysler.

Before leaving,can compare the route with the factory GPS in the Limited, Garmin is a bit more intelligent.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts