Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Hyundai Tiburon suddenly developed soft brakes and I have had it to the dealer twice.

They are telling me I need a new master cylinder $555 and HECU $1486. Does this sound reasonable?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would try having it checked out at another dealer and/or highly reputable mechanic first before blindly dropping $2000+ on it, but from another thread here and looking at the part number online for the HECU that does seem to be the price of a new unit, unfortunately. the master cylinder is between 250-600 at auto part stores depending on the configuration of your car.. 600 is at the high end for a car with stability control. If you don't have stability control then the cylinder is overpriced by $300.

Your diagnosis of "soft brakes", to anyone else, could mean anything else such as the lines just needing to be bled.. but I would hope that a dealer would not suggest you need $2000 in parts if it were just air in the lines and did some actual diagnosis leading to the suggesting of these parts being replaced.

Good luck though, sounds like it might be a costly issue.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Master cylinders and HECU is not a fail item in most respect..

Old Tiburon.. I be more interested in knowing the pads, rotors good condition, the pads not stuck in mount bracket,, then make sure the calipers move to - fro freely on the slides (pins move freely in the respective bores of mounting bracket)... stuck-seized slide wont allow caliper to center over the pads,, so instead the caliper tries to grip in a sideway fashion, resulting in a bunch of wasted pedal movement...

Verify system bled complete with clean clear DOT-3 coming out the bleed screw..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts