Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lowered my 2016 Tucson Limited (FWD) using D2 Racing coilovers, which also included an adjustable stabilizer bar connector (the part that connects the stabilizer bar to the strut). Anyways, I lowered it about 2.5 - 3 inches. When I went out to take it for a test ride, I got a ton of warning lights on the dash. I have never owned a vehicle with the "bells and whistles" that this Tucson has, so I'm reaching out to get everyone's thoughts on what could have been installation error on my part vs. computer calibration issues from the changed ride height. (It should be noted that I have lowered many vehicles without any issues in the past.)

Here are the warning lights currently on:
1. Check AEB (autonomous emergency braking) system - (I have the service manual, and from what I've read, I believe that the changed ride height has made this warning come on. It can be recalibrated, so I will be visiting Hyundai to check on what can be done to recalibrate this.)

2. Power steering warning light is on - This one is a mystery right now. When I first started driving during the test drive, the steering was more "loose" than it was before, then the light came on, and it seems that the power steering is off. From what I read in the service manual, the power steering does turn off when there is a problem, and I need to get the code checked. I'm also going to check everything today to ensure that it is all still connected and nothing created some weird bind or issue.) Thoughts?

3. ABS warning: I'm checking to see if I may have detached or messed with one of the wheel speed sensors here. Thoughts?

4. Hill decline braking system... no clue. Maybe same as the AEB issue from #1?

5. TPS (tire monitoring) - I think the ECU believes that the tires are flat because the vehicle is substantially lower than factory specs. (Tire pressure is fine based on my physical test.)

I would love your thoughts/ input. (Sidebar: if you happen to be a "why would you lower a..." type, I get it. I did it with quality products, so please save those comments for people out there heating their springs ;).)

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,285 Posts
All those warning lights are tied in with the ESC (electronic stability control), so you really need to have the ESC/ABS module scanned to see what code had been logged. It's possible that one of the ESC sensors needs to be recalibrated, or perhaps a wheel speed sensor hasn't been reconnected. We have no way of knowing what the problem is until you read the trouble codes. You'll need a proper scan tool to do that though. A generic OBD2 tool is unable to communicate with the ESC module.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All those warning lights are tied in with the ESC (electronic stability control), so you really need to have the ESC/ABS module scanned to see what code had been logged. It's possible that one of the ESC sensors needs to be recalibrated, or perhaps a wheel speed sensor hasn't been reconnected. We have no way of knowing what the problem is until you read the trouble codes. You'll need a proper scan tool to do that though. A generic OBD2 tool is unable to communicate with the ESC module.
Thanks for the point about the ESC. I didn't know enough to know that those systems are tied together. I am planning on getting an alignment done Monday, and I'm hoping they will have the device needed to read those trouble codes; otherwise, I will be headed off to Hyundai. I'll post when I have more info.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
This kind of thing happens alot when people try to modify their cars without knowing what they're doing.
Hope it isn't too costly.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,285 Posts
You shouldn't need to go to a Hyundai dealer to have the codes read. Any decent independent garage should have a tool capable of reading ESC codes, and I'm sure they will charge less for checking it that a dealership will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This kind of thing happens alot when people try to modify their cars without knowing what they're doing.
Hope it isn't too costly.
Well, I'll have to disagree with your arbitrary conclusion that I do not know what I'm doing. I would appreciate any helpful insight about how to proceed, though.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Even when you do know what you're doing, making major mods can be a b1tch when the unintended consequences kick in.
I learned 30+ years ago unless you have the skills of Smokey Yunick it's better in the long run to buy a vehicle that is what you want in stock form, rather than reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Well, I'll have to disagree with your arbitrary conclusion that I do not know what I'm doing. I would appreciate any helpful insight about how to proceed, though.
I made my statement based on your admission that you didn't know enough about the system in the car

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I appreciate you attempting to do something outside the norm with the car. I might recheck the sensors to make sure things are all back together and no kinks in the ABS wires, etc.

Can you adjust ride height while on the car? Could always return to normal ride height and see if the lights go away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got everything figured out. Thanks to those that posted with advice. Took it to Hyundai, and I had simply broken one of the speed sensors at the wheel. Ordered a new one, installed it, and there you go.

Here's the final product, on 22s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts