Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and was searching around to see if anyone else has the same trouble as me.

I have i20 1.4 comfort, petrol, reg July 09. I use my car for work, I'm a driving instructor. It is just approaching 13000 miles.

I treated myself to a new car, the first time ever, and have had no end of problems.

Firstly, the accerator had a step in it. So you could press a little and nothing would happen then it would step and rev over 3000, nothing inbetween. The garage had it in a couple of times to lubricate it which lasted a few days each time before discovering on the 3rd time the cable was not fitted correctly. Although this seems to now be sorted it car still drinks fuel, the best mpg I can get is 38.6 Yes I no I have learners in the car and drive in town 90% of the time, but I teach eco driving and it should be better than that! A whole tank of fuel costs just over £50 and does me about 330-350miles!

The other problem I still have and I see some of you have had the same.

Gears! It started being difficult to select rev and then almost impossible to get into 1st. In at the garage again they identified a problem and said it needed a whole new gear box! Subsequently this was fitted (another 2 days off the road, all the time costing me business). The problem was sorted for about a week then I get a loud whining when rev, esp up hills or at angles (which unfortunately happens a lot in learner land!) The garage again 'sorted' it and all was good for another day!
Now the problem comes when the car is cold, I drive away from home and can't change out of first. I have to stop the car move the gears around a bit and try again. It takes about 45min of gear clunking before it warms up and is ok, but not smooth. That now means no early morning lessons so I can get car moving before lessons!

I'm tearing my hair out, its all so stressful. If this was anything else I bought new I'd have taken it back for replacement but you can't do that with cars. I'm losing money every day its at the garage, my pupils hate the new car and had a lot of trouble adapting from my previous corsa, I've even lost pupils and had the driving test examiners comment on its rev noise- which has returned.

Nearly in tears I approached the garage again today and have to leave it with them overnight next week so they can see it from cold.

Oh, I also have rusty alloys and squeaky brakes! Arrrrgh!!!!

Sorry for essay but as you can see my lovely new car is a nightmare!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi and :00000732: to the forums..... i hope you and the dealer gets your problems sorted quickly. Not sure if you've tried or not, but a letter to both your dealer and Hyundai UK expressing how this is affecting your business...... Not sure if it'd get you anywhere or not, but it wouldn't hurt. Include as many facts as you can including dates, work undertaken, when the problems re-occurred etc all in chronological order.
Out of curiosity, do you still get the 5 year warranty even though it's a 'business' vehicle? Is the level of cover the same?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yes I still get full warranty thank goodness!

I was considering writing to Hyundai, infact thats how I came across this forum whilst searching for contact details.

If you know who to contact perhaps you could let me know :liebe011:

My dealer has been very helpful, always, so I have no complaints re customer service, just not getting it fixed!

Will let you know how it goes anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (ADIMaidstone @ May 6 2010, 02:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320279
Hi, I'm new here and was searching around to see if anyone else has the same trouble as me.

I have i20 1.4 comfort, petrol, reg July 09. I use my car for work, I'm a driving instructor. It is just approaching 13000 miles.

I treated myself to a new car, the first time ever, and have had no end of problems.

Firstly, the accerator had a step in it. So you could press a little and nothing would happen then it would step and rev over 3000, nothing inbetween. The garage had it in a couple of times to lubricate it which lasted a few days each time before discovering on the 3rd time the cable was not fitted correctly. Although this seems to now be sorted it car still drinks fuel, the best mpg I can get is 38.6 Yes I no I have learners in the car and drive in town 90% of the time, but I teach eco driving and it should be better than that! A whole tank of fuel costs just over £50 and does me about 330-350miles!

The other problem I still have and I see some of you have had the same.

Gears! It started being difficult to select rev and then almost impossible to get into 1st. In at the garage again they identified a problem and said it needed a whole new gear box! Subsequently this was fitted (another 2 days off the road, all the time costing me business). The problem was sorted for about a week then I get a loud whining when rev, esp up hills or at angles (which unfortunately happens a lot in learner land!) The garage again 'sorted' it and all was good for another day!
Now the problem comes when the car is cold, I drive away from home and can't change out of first. I have to stop the car move the gears around a bit and try again. It takes about 45min of gear clunking before it warms up and is ok, but not smooth. That now means no early morning lessons so I can get car moving before lessons!

I'm tearing my hair out, its all so stressful. If this was anything else I bought new I'd have taken it back for replacement but you can't do that with cars. I'm losing money every day its at the garage, my pupils hate the new car and had a lot of trouble adapting from my previous corsa, I've even lost pupils and had the driving test examiners comment on its rev noise- which has returned.

Nearly in tears I approached the garage again today and have to leave it with them overnight next week so they can see it from cold.

Oh, I also have rusty alloys and squeaky brakes! Arrrrgh!!!!

Sorry for essay but as you can see my lovely new car is a nightmare!
hope your dealer will sort your car.
Mine is 1.4 comfort auto. getting 200 miles for full tank!! [i have done only 300 miles though]
mind you i20 is not time tested vehicle, we all bought it because it is cheaper and experts reviewed it good buy. but time only will tell if it was worth buying. Hope for best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I have had similar gearbox problems (luckily not with my i20, but with a Honda). Taking the gearbox apart (2x) was not the answer, changing to a different oil was! I have had very good experience with Castrol Syntrax Universal in cars ranging from Honda to Porsche.
For the i20 Castrol SMX-S is probably a good choice. Castrol even calls it a 'problem solver'. Try it, the effect can be astonishing, it's not that much trouble, and cheaper than taking the gearbox apart.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like you've been very unlucky, though several of the problems you mention have been raised on this forum before now. I've only driven a fraction of the distance you have, so perhaps these issues will afflict more i20s with time.

I do sometimes find it difficult to engage the reverse gear. The solution is usually to release and re-engage the clutch. I had the same issue with my old Corsa, so I thought this was a common issue for many cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Captain Slow @ May 7 2010, 08:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320635
Hi,

I have had similar gearbox problems (luckily not with my i20, but with a Honda). Taking the gearbox apart (2x) was not the answer, changing to a different oil was! I have had very good experience with Castrol Syntrax Universal in cars ranging from Honda to Porsche.
For the i20 Castrol SMX-S is probably a good choice. Castrol even calls it a 'problem solver'. Try it, the effect can be astonishing, it's not that much trouble, and cheaper than taking the gearbox apart.

Good luck.

Thanks, they did try an oil change which was better for about a week. Perhaps will give them some castrol to put in it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (FTYML @ May 8 2010, 04:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320908
Sounds like you've been very unlucky, though several of the problems you mention have been raised on this forum before now. I've only driven a fraction of the distance you have, so perhaps these issues will afflict more i20s with time.

I do sometimes find it difficult to engage the reverse gear. The solution is usually to release and re-engage the clutch. I had the same issue with my old Corsa, so I thought this was a common issue for many cars.

I had a corsa before too! And yes lifting clutch did help but it doesn't on the i20 even after 4-5 tries! The reverse was difficult first then it started on first gear which is when they changed gear box. Now its 1st to 2nd thats hard and clunking!!!! :w00t:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have suffered similar throttle problem with my i20 1.4

My dealer has replaced the throttle cable and fuel earth strap. Have only just got the
car back and still testing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts