Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 years and 4 months and 53K miles we sold our Hyundai Sonata and purchase a 20 Jeep Cherokee Limited with the 2.0 Hurricane engine.

The Sonata was a good fit for us and a great car with no issues until recently. We started getting numerous small issues concerning the tranny that multiple dealers could not or would not fix. Only once did the check engine light come on over this but at the same time the battery failed and after the new battery was installed, the light was gone. Without a light, the dealer would do nothing. Trying to get the car to the dealer while still in some form of limp mode proved fruitless as the issue would go away before we could get there. I live 45 miles away from our dealer. We just felt it was time as we now feel we need a four wheel drive to better survive the Vermont winters. The payments, well that is another story.

I thank all the good folks here over the years for their informative posts and willingness to contribute to the community. Happy New Year to all.

TR

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
After 8 years and 4 months and 53K miles we sold our Hyundai Sonata and purchase a 20 Jeep Cherokee Limited with the 2.0 Hurricane engine.

The Sonata was a good fit for us and a great car with no issues until recently. We started getting numerous small issues concerning the tranny that multiple dealers could not or would not fix. Only once did the check engine light come on over this but at the same time the battery failed and after the new battery was installed, the light was gone. Without a light, the dealer would do nothing. Trying to get the car to the dealer while still in some form of limp mode proved fruitless as the issue would go away before we could get there. I live 45 miles away from our dealer. We just felt it was time as we now feel we need a four wheel drive to better survive the Vermont winters. The payments, well that is another story.

I thank all the good folks here over the years for their informative posts and willingness to contribute to the community. Happy New Year to all.

TR
I remember you from a long time ago,thanks for an update and good luck to you with your new car.What issue were you having with the trans?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Drunken Elvis: Thank you!! Great moniker you have there.
@Airforce1: I remember you as well from back in the day. You were Plasti-coating the front grille on your Sonata as I recall. I had never heard of that product before, so I learned something new.

As for the tranny, it would periodically go into a form of limp mode where the shifting became erratic with reduced speed. Generally only last for a few miles and then back to normal. Only once the check engine light came on. I read the code as P0713, excessive transaxle fluid temp even though the temp was normal having just backed the car out of the garage after being parked for a few days. All fixable without major surgery I am sure, but it was the catalyst to trade it in and move on after almost 8 1/2 years. We are getting older now and figured it was time to get a 4x4 SUV and the local Jeep dealer was offering very generous incentives so we pulled the plug. It is not every day a new car dealer keeps an 8 1/2 old car to sell themselves and not auction it but he kept this one. The Sonata was a very nice car and we enjoyed it very much.

Good talking to you and have a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
206 Posts
As for the tranny, it would periodically go into a form of limp mode where the shifting became erratic with reduced speed. Generally only last for a few miles and then back to normal. Only once the check engine light came on. I read the code as P0713, excessive transaxle fluid temp even though the temp was normal having just backed the car out of the garage after being parked for a few days. All fixable without major surgery I am sure, but it was the catalyst to trade it in and move on after almost 8 1/2 years. We are getting older now and figured it was time to get a 4x4 SUV and the local Jeep dealer was offering very generous incentives so we pulled the plug. It is not every day a new car dealer keeps an 8 1/2 old car to sell themselves and not auction it but he kept this one. The Sonata was a very nice car and we enjoyed it very much.

Good talking to you and have a Happy New Year.
Shame Hyundai isn't being proactive, because there is a TSB for this very issue and your car is still under warranty.
TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10059669-2273.pdf

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is. I told two separate dealers about the code and both of them did not know enough to tell me about the TSB. Sad. They both insisted nothing could be done unless the engine light was on when I brought it in for service. They both did tell me it would be under warranty, "most likely". In the overall scheme of things, this made zero difference though. We already had our minds made up the Sonata was going down the road without us and a new Jeep was in our future. It was just a question of if and not when. Besides, in a year and a half the drivetrain warranty is due to expire and that engine knock issue is still out there. Cheers, mates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts