Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the below 0F blues with the heater. I covered up half the radiator last night and it didn't do much better than without. I'm going to cover the other half somewhat.

A new t-stat last year and it runs at 180-182F but turn up the fan and the temp starts to drop below that and the little engine can't make enough heat.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Got the below 0F blues with the heater. I covered up half the radiator last night and it didn't do much better than without. I'm going to cover the other half somewhat.

A new t-stat last year and it runs at 180-182F but turn up the fan and the temp starts to drop below that and the little engine can't make enough heat.
Some aftermarket thermostats are slow to respond, compared to OEM parts.

My 2011 Accent had a 195degF thermostat from factory.......maybe this would be an upgrade at the expense of running a little hotter in the summer. When does your cooling fan turn ON?, my 2011 it turned on at 202degF.

Sounds to me like the little 1.6L just can't create enough heat, as the block itself will radiate the surplus heat in those extreme temps. So either lower the temp inside the car (lower temp/maintain fan speed), this will keep the windows from fogging, but all the engine to keep some heat. OR put in a higher Stat for the winter months, and lower stat in the summer....................

Here in Ontario were having a cold snap as well, and my 2.2ecotec has a hard time keeping up as well..........and it's aluminum which radiates even MORE. I know this is a unusual temp drop, so I simply lower the temp and put a heavier coat on.

Duro

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The radiator fan doesn't come on for heat with the driving I do, AC yes. It has a new OE t-stat, I believe it's working as designed.

You would not happen to have a part number and dimensions of the 2011 t-stat would you?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought a 2011 one off ebay. $15 but it will probably be a while before the weather is nice enough to install.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Well, umm, here in Florida when it gets down into the 40's (F) the '07 makes enough heat to recreate summer. My '77 Firebird with the anemic 305 made the best heat of any car I've owned.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was 12F last night almost 20F higher and the engine topped out at 188F after an hour or so. So the cardboard covering the entire front of the radiator (in front of the horns) really helped.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes cooling system has been flushed twice that I can remember in 150k miles. Once this last summer with the new t-stat and hoses.

My driving is mostly rural and highway. So the car doesn't get to drive in stop and go or city driving to get warmed up faster.

The use of the defroster most of the time looses a lot of heat through the windshield.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My heat works great. I live by Chicago and just got back from visiting family in SE Minnesota for the holidays. On the way back it was so warm I had to take off my coat driving, and I only had a T shirt on. This is with the fan on the number 2 setting, and the switch was in the defrost/floor position. The heat dial was only 3/4 of the way to full heat.
The car sat out in the cold the whole time and it was below zero when I started it for the trip back.
I have a 2010 hatchback.

Now, I will admit the car isn't 100% stock. It's mechanically stock, with probably the original thermostat, and I just did a drain and refill of the coolant this fall before the temperatures dropped. What isn't stock is that I tried to do some sound deadening, which was probably a failure, but what I did may help retain heat in the winter. Last year I think it was in the summer I took out the seats, then carpet, and put down first a layer of the rubberized roofing stuff from Home Depot. Then I put down some memory foam type carpet padding. Then the normal carpet went back in, and finally the seats.
I did something different with the doors. I took off the panels and put in some duct insulation I got from Home Depot. It's a foam with a foil outer layer and the bottom of the foam has some adhesive.
If I remember right I have some of the memory foam carpet padding in the hatch, under the big inside panel.
Did all this make much of a sound difference? No, not really, but maybe it keeps heat in. Of course it's too cold to do this type of thing now.

·
Registered
882 Posts
it's about 10F in my place, I park my car outside, and it usually take 10min to get some 'warm' air from heater

For thermostat I only recommend local OEM. The aftermarket thermostats have different characteristics compare to OEM, and usually only have 3 months warranty. But for local OEM you can get replaced within 2 years

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went out last night. Air temp was around -10F. Started car and took off. Was up to 180F in about 6 miles with two stops.

The thermostat works great. gets up to 181F and you can tell it opens a bit as then the temp drops to 179F. Then it cycles from 181 to 179 and after and hour or so it will go to 183 and I can cut the fan speed back to one.
Never saw it higher last night.

So the 195F t-stat should work great, if it fits.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts

Are you kidding? In the winter I tell the butcher not to bother to wrap the frozen meats...they sure as heck aren't going to close to thawing before I get home. I know the milk won't get too warm on the trip and if I buy soda ('tonic' to those from Boston) it will be nice and cold in the 2.5 miles home.

I let my car sit and idle for at least 3 minutes when it gets this cold; the other day I let it sit for 5 while I was inside gathering up my stuff. It was also 10 degrees and I wanted to make sure the block had a head start.

On the way to get coffee (2.5 miles) it is usually warm half way there and almost warm when I get there. THe temp gauge hardly budged when I pulled in. Of course, I had the defroster on low because my breath was fogging the windshield.

I was running a few jobs for Dell last week and was in an area 35 miles away Friday. When I went to an even further location Tuesday it was 21 degrees and the car got nice and warm after ~10 miles. I made it all the way there Friday and the needle never got up to full temp (just below the halfway mark) and it wasn't until late in the afternoon the car got warm enough inside to be comfortable. Even in 21 degree weather on a 30-40 mile or more trip I sometimes take off my jacket because even with the fan on low it gets nice and warm.

The car has 118,800 on it. Or, the odo, anyway. The car is prolly at 121,000. I had the cooling system drained and refilled at 85,000, so I know the coolant should be good. The level is good.

I noticed the first winter I had the car, if is is not actually driving, it stays to the cool side. I always have a camera, and Friday I stopped to take a few shots and left the car running, and when I got back in the needle that had been almost at halfway was down just below the 1/4 mark.

Of course, the upside is that this is the most efficient cooling system I have ever seen. ;)

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blocking off the entire front of the condenser with a sheet of cardboard really helped. It sits in front of the horns and rest on the two bottom straps for the bumper cover. Large Flat Rate box fits perfect. And I still have passenger side radiator covered too.

Was looking last night too that the intake temp was only 5F even after an hour. maybe I'll hook the coolant lines back up too to help keep that warmer for gas mileage reasons.

Once the inside is warm it seems to take car of itself. Thinking of using an electric heater before I leave inside the car for 10 minutes rather than start the engine. >:D

·
Registered
393 Posts
My 15 Sonata LF Takes long time to heat up than other make mode out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
So the 195F t-stat should work great, if it fits.

My 9-5 Saab has a 195 F degree stats - 192 is the oem spec'd. best heat ever from a car but in summer the engine is a baker.

Does Hyundai say you can put in a 195 degree stat , seems a bit high , the
2007 elantra and Sante Fe are both 182 F , heat is good but not great.

OTH I think Hyundai purposely runs engine at low temps mostly to help increase engine and component longevity.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Walmart has a 1500 watt electric heater for under $14. that should warm up the interior before I leave cheaper than the engine idling for a half hour.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Walmart has a 1500 watt electric heater for under $14. that should warm up the interior before I leave cheaper than the engine idling for a half hour.
Well if you are using cardboard on the radiator I'd assume a better choice would be install the higher temp thermostat, car likely won't warm up much faster but heat would be better. 182 F stat is low compared to most other autos I'm familiar with.

On my Saab I've considered making a seasonal change to the stat, the 195 stat is great in the winter, but takes a toll in the summer on battery life and Saab's dumb Direct Ignition Cassette that sits ontop of the super heated engine. But it's about a 1.5 hr job to change the stat and it sits right under a bunch of harness connectors that probably don't like getting jostled on a 14 yr old car.
Big difference between the warm up time of Saab vs SFS - both Mitsu turbos but the water cooled one in the Saab definately expedites the heating time.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Also I didn't read when you last replaced the stat and what brand, referring to 2007 Elantra - daughter's car I noticed 2 winters back heat had diminished, stat was oem I replaced it with SuperStat from Stant - generally my preferred brand. Oem stat had clearly weakened and was opening too soon.

So referring back to my Saab - spec calls for 192 F - couldn't find exact match at decent price, so fell for the O'reilly bs - that murray is a good tstat, well it wasn't it was rated at 192 F but clearly opened well before that and car took way longer to reach full warm up. Took it back and got a refund, bought a 195 F SuperStat at Advance and it works like one expects it to.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I replaced the hoses and t-stat this summer. The old one got lazy and struggled last winter to stay at 180F(82C).

And I got the newer t-stat today, it's the same temp rating as the older one at 180F(82C). A bit shorter but it would fit.

255002B000 ; 255002B400

1 - 20 of 73 Posts