Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I dropped my 2013 Sonata off on Thursday morning for routine maintenance(oil change, new wipers, tire rotation, etc.) I had to go to work, so I asked if they'd mind giving me a rental. They gave me one. The ugliest thing in the world; a baby blue Elantra..really?? Anyways, I get a call on Friday morning saying the car needed a new computer control module or something or other. Fine, do whatever while you have it. Thennnn, Saturday comes around. Phone rings, it's hyundai telling me the car is ready to go. I was happy at finally getting my car back. So I walk in to the service center, my advisor sees me and looked quite shocked. He asks if I got his message. Keep in mind only 20 minutes had passed between now and when they had called telling me to come pick it up. He says to me that he called and left a voicemail, which was a **** lie. He tells me to hold on for a second while he goes and speaks to a technician. He comes back ten minutes later and tell me that apparently when they had put the control module in it, that the car turned itself into a melting pot. The battery melted itself to the terminals, all the plastic connections under the hood had melted together, the camshaft position sensor was fried and the fuel pump was fried. I was then told the car was not even drivable. This is the second car Hyundai has screwed up. They failed to fix the overheating problem my Elantra had only 9 months prior. Like are there just complete imbeciles working for this **** company? I'm going in tomorrow to speak to the owner of the dealer and discuss my options. I no longer want my car, cause who knows what problems will occur later. Not to mention that the value will depreciate with all this maintenance being done at only 16,000 miles since they do report everything from wiper blades to a new engine to carfax. I'm just so frustrated with Hyundai Motor Company. Where's my Nissan? Lol.

Your opinions???

·
Registered
52 Posts
So, I dropped my 2013 Sonata off on Thursday morning for routine maintenance(oil change, new wipers, tire rotation, etc.) I had to go to work, so I asked if they'd mind giving me a rental. They gave me one. The ugliest thing in the world; a baby blue Elantra..really?? Anyways, I get a call on Friday morning saying the car needed a new computer control module or something or other. Fine, do whatever while you have it. Thennnn, Saturday comes around. Phone rings, it's hyundai telling me the car is ready to go. I was happy at finally getting my car back. So I walk in to the service center, my advisor sees me and looked quite shocked. He asks if I got his message. Keep in mind only 20 minutes had passed between now and when they had called telling me to come pick it up. He says to me that he called and left a voicemail, which was a **** lie. He tells me to hold on for a second while he goes and speaks to a technician. He comes back ten minutes later and tell me that apparently when they had put the control module in it, that the car turned itself into a melting pot. The battery melted itself to the terminals, all the plastic connections under the hood had melted together, the camshaft position sensor was fried and the fuel pump was fried. I was then told the car was not even drivable. This is the second car Hyundai has screwed up. They failed to fix the overheating problem my Elantra had only 9 months prior. Like are there just complete imbeciles working for this **** company? I'm going in tomorrow to speak to the owner of the dealer and discuss my options. I no longer want my car, cause who knows what problems will occur later. Not to mention that the value will depreciate with all this maintenance being done at only 16,000 miles since they do report everything from wiper blades to a new engine to carfax. I'm just so frustrated with Hyundai Motor Company. Where's my Nissan? Lol.

Your opinions???
i think your frustration should be pointed towards your dealer.. not hyundai...

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's all warranty work. It's not like it's been in an extensive wreck. I fail to see how that's going to depreciate its value. With that said, some dealerships are like that, and it sucks. Not all of them are great, and unfortunately they don't directly work for Hyundai. Good luck with your conversation tomorrow. Just remember that cooler heads tend to get what they want. If you go in screaming like a madman then you're likely to be shown the door with no goodies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys need to keep in mind that we've had nothing but problems with Hyundai. I'm not planning to go in screaming or anything of that sort. I'm a district manager and I oversee stores all over Florida so believe me, I know how to handle this. I just think it's time to move on from Hyundai. I've dealt with them since 2002

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What sorts of problems out of curiosity?
Cars needing replacement parts after only a short time, transmission failure, we needed an engine replacement after 4500 miles in our tucson, it just hasn't been a good experience by any means.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
i think your frustration should be pointed towards your dealer.. not hyundai...
^^^ Agreed^^^
I've had nothing but good or exceptional experiences with my local Hyundai service department. Obviously they can bolster or ruin the companies reputation with some customers.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You lost your credibility when you bitched about the color of the loaner car:rolleyes:

Give them a chance to fix it. They didnt build the car. Its not their fault. Give them a chance to make good.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I now drive 40 miles to the next closest dealer just because of bad service. I bought 5 cars from the first dealer and was treated poorly and received Horrible service. What a difference 40 miles makes. I'm going to buy my second car from them this year soon. I have my own personal mechanic for all my cars there. Finding the right service department makes all the difference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Defiantly the dealers issue, not nessasaraly hyundais fault.

But I do agree about finding out maybe some options with that electrical problem. If the car destroyed all that stuff already there is no way to tell of the issues that it WILL have down the road and possibly issues that you will have to pay out of pocket due to some shotty warranty work. I wouldn't trust that car either.
But again it's definitely not a Hyundai issue. Sounds like somebody hooked the battery up backwards. Either way I wouldn't take delivery of that car until you are 100% satisfied that the car is repaired correctly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the wonderful support. A plus to you guys. I haven't ever had to pay out pocket. It's the inconvenience of paying a $350 monthly payment on a $25,000+ car that sits in the shop for half the month thats aggravating. So I reserve every right to be a little frustrated. Now if you guys wouldn't mind leaving some useful feedback, that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Defiantly the dealers issue, not nessasaraly hyundais fault.

But I do agree about finding out maybe some options with that electrical problem. If the car destroyed all that stuff already there is no way to tell of the issues that it WILL have down the road and possibly issues that you will have to pay out of pocket due to some shotty warranty work. I wouldn't trust that car either.
But again it's definitely not a Hyundai issue. Sounds like somebody hooked the battery up backwards. Either way I wouldn't take delivery of that car until you are 100% satisfied that the car is repaired correctly.
Thank you very much. The first useful piece of advice. I'm going in tomorrow to talk to the service manager and finance manager to discuss my options. Thanks and have a great night:)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Thanks for all the wonderful support. A plus to you guys. I haven't ever had to pay out pocket. It's the inconvenience of paying a $350 monthly payment on a $25,000+ car that sits in the shop for half the month thats aggravating. So I reserve every right to be a little frustrated. Now if you guys wouldn't mind leaving some useful feedback, that would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure it's a Hyundai and not a Jaguar? :D

In regards to your problem, sounds like your old one was a lemon and you have terrible luck with picking them out, I wouldn't take delivery on your old one but rather get a new one. Try to push the lemon law on them if they refuse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure it's a Hyundai and not a Jaguar? :D

In regards to your problem, sounds like your old one was a lemon and you have terrible luck with picking them out, I wouldn't take delivery on your old one but rather get a new one. Try to push the lemon law on them if they refuse.
Lol. Or a Chrysler? No but I'm seriously going to push for that today. If all this went wrong all of a sudden I'm nervous as to what could possibly happen to it next. I just know that whatever happens, I'll never take it back to this dealer ever again. Thanks for the input!:)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Sounds like an incompetent technician worked on this car. You don't melt down an entire electrical system including taking the battery out (I can only believe what I am reading for fact basis here) by simply swapping an ECU.

Something smells a bit fishy here.

Personally I would not accept the car back either. I would gun for a premium trade in price (given that you don't want another Hyundai, maybe this owner has more than Hyundai dealer) or a cash buy back at a premium. Obviously depreciation will be the sticking point to the value of this car.

Or they can extend the warranty on the car to 150K bumper to bumper with a premium rental clause.

Also if I were you I bet its going to get close to litigation so I would go back and write everything down and make sure you keep track of each and every phone call and discussion and anything promised to you is written down on dealer invoice for documentation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sounds like an incompetent technician worked on this car. You don't melt down an entire electrical system including taking the battery out (I can only believe what I am reading for fact basis here) by simply swapping an ECU.

Something smells a bit fishy here.

Personally I would not accept the car back either. I would gun for a premium trade in price (given that you don't want another Hyundai, maybe this owner has more than Hyundai dealer) or a cash buy back at a premium. Obviously depreciation will be the sticking point to the value of this car.

Or they can extend the warranty on the car to 150K bumper to bumper with a premium rental clause.

Also if I were you I bet its going to get close to litigation so I would go back and write everything down and make sure you keep track of each and every phone call and discussion and anything promised to you is written down on dealer invoice for documentation.

Good luck.
+ 1 ...... but how many of you were presented the form to sign stating you won't sue over an issue but will submit to Arbitration. A good reminder to refuse to sign - DID YOU sign one?

Know lawyer you could get an early opinion from should an agreement Not be reached? Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
+ 1 ...... but how many of you were presented the form to sign stating you won't sue over an issue but will submit to Arbitration. A good reminder to refuse to sign - DID YOU sign one?

Know lawyer you could get an early opinion from should an agreement Not be reached? Good Luck!
This really doesn't fall under lemon law from what I understand. The car didn't melt down as part of the "as delivered" car from the factory. It melted down at the dealership due to something.

So the arbitration papers most likely don't apply because that goes to dealing with getting the car qualified as a lemon. But like you said a lawyer versed in this type of work would be able to give you a much better idea.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My wife and I purchased a Chrysler minivan back in February of 2001. Three months after purchasing it, it was in the shop 3 times in a row because the transmission locked up and the electrical system kept throwing errors. To their credit, after the 3rd time the dealership offered up an MSRP to MSRP swap. We were able to pick out a better van at the same cost.

Troubles always happen, but I agree with everyone who says a) the dealership makes a difference and b) I would push them to either give you a new vehicle or, if you're done with Hyundai, give you a premium trade in (preferably close to what you paid)

Sorry for your troubles, I hope they do right by you!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like the dealers service dept. is at issue. Took my 2012 sonata in yesterday for the remote start retro fit (so they call it) now they say the blue link button on the mirror does not work. I said it worked fine when we dropped it off. Its something you guys did. Also had the factory splash guards installed, they installed them alright. but did not clean the car before putting them on. So the saga continues

1 - 20 of 34 Posts