Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 hyundai accent, delux model. For the last 10 months the engine cuts out at lights, or when I slow down, or go around a corner - this only happens when the fuel tank is full. After going 90-100km it no longer happens. If I just dont fill the tank full its ok, but this isn't good enough. The service people changed some fuel sensor, that didn't work, now they say its dirty fuel, how can it be? it would happen all the time, and its done this snuffing on a full tank for 10 months.

·
Registered
422 Posts
What do you mean snuffling?
As if it has a gurgling type noise?
Only when you have a full tank. Could be your evaporative control system is full of fuel, and when your purge control valve operates, you can hear the fuel gurgling around whilst it is being sucked into your engine causing it to flood.

Do you get large quantities of black smoke coming from the car before she dies that you have noticed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should mention that also just before the engine cuts out the guage for eht revs shows that the idling becomes erratic, it wavers below the one, won't stay steady then cuts out, if I put on the hand break when im at a stop light and this happens I can prevent the engine from cutting by revving the engine. but this only has to be done when the tank is full, and for the first about 90km of the full tank

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quick thought here...

Are you topping off at the pump? If so, the excess fuel ends up going down into a filter device (name skips my mind at the moment), but can get damaged, as well as be harmful to your cat.converter (if you have one)

This of course may not apply to Aust. made versions.

·
Registered
422 Posts
When you fill up, do you have the bowser handle all the way into your filler neck, or do you leave it out a bit?

If so try filling it up with the bowser handle all the way in next time and then see how your car goes.

You may be pouring copious amounts of fuel into your overflow tube and be filling up your charcoal cannister, w3hich when your Evaporation purge valve operates, its supplying large amounts of fuel to your inlet manifold causing it to flood and die out.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 14 2004, 04:46 AM
When you fill up, do you have the bowser handle all the way into your filler neck, or do you leave it out a bit?

If so try filling it up with the bowser handle all the way in next time and then see how your car goes.

You may be pouring copious amounts of fuel into your overflow tube and be filling up your charcoal cannister, w3hich when your Evaporation purge valve operates, its supplying large amounts of fuel to your inlet manifold causing it to flood and die out.
[snapback]2755[/snapback]​

Hundi, do you have the ORVR system in down-under ?????????

·
Registered
422 Posts
What is the ORVR system?

I am guessing it has something to do with a overfil recovery system?

I don't know just a guess, was I close?? :huh:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 14 2004, 10:40 PM
What is the ORVR system?

I am guessing it has something to do with a overfil recovery system?

I don't know just a guess, was I close?? :huh:
[snapback]2770[/snapback]​

O = onbord
R = refueling
V = vapour
R = recovery

the refueling vapour must go through the C-canister to vent.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ah yes, we just call it the evaporation system over here.

Yes we have the line from the tank, to the Charcoal canister, to the purge control solenoid, to your intake manifold.

Maybe the gurgling noise is fuel getting as far as the Purge valve causing that gurgling noise?

I have seen it happen on a Trajet once.
Now they have a recall for the Fuel tank vents and check valve to overcome this problem!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 16 2004, 04:18 AM

Yes we have the line from the tank, to the Charcoal canister, to the purge control solenoid, to your intake manifold.

Maybe the gurgling noise is fuel getting as far as the Purge valve causing that gurgling noise?

Now they have a recall for the Fuel tank vents and check valve to overcome this problem!
[snapback]2786[/snapback]​

There isnt any noise, the engine just cuts out, sorry, ther term 'snuffing' to me means the engine stops running when it isnt meant to. The idling goes irratic and the engine cuts, but only when the fuel tank is full and for the first 90-100 km.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
try this: Disconnect the line which comes from the charcoal canister (not the line going to the manifold), from the purge solenoid, and Unplug the electric connector. start the engine, and check if there is vacuun at the colenoid now open end. If there is vacuum, the solenoid is defective and must be replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My thoughts tell me to also make sure that the gas cap clicks at least three times when you are putting it back on or you will not get proper fuel pressure and the check engine light will come on, and the car may stall and sputter or idle oddly!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi Andrea!......no guarantees or anything......your problem is too unusual & un-typical for that, BUT, unless your service record definitely shows this has been done, get the fuel filter replaced by a genuine Hyundai unit.

This is VERY OFTEN missed from services at even the best Dealerships......as the factory unit is very efficient & has a long service-life.

Fingers crossed!,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 15 2004, 12:18 PM

[snapback]2786[/snapback]​

No, it's not just a evaporation system...2000 Accents in your country probably don't have one.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well, because I am not from other parts of the world, nor am I familiar with other systems that ae used in replacement of systems that ae used in our contry.
Can anyone explain to me what components are asociated with this system and there function?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
on the ORVR systen (which is regulation since 1998), when you fill the tank, the escaping vapours must be scrubbed by the onbord system.
the vapour leaves the tank via the FILL-VENT-VALVE and hose into the C-canister; from there the vapour minus HC flow throug the CANISTER-CLOSE-VALVE & FILTER to the out side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Andrea.

I have recently had this problem.

At the beginning I suspected the Purge Valve to be defect.
I checked it with the information from this forum.
The valve was sure leaking, so i thought it was broken.
But...

Recently I've also had a bad battery and one day the car didn't start.
I replaced the battery and suddenly, the valve started to work properly. So in my case it was probably lack of power.

The car is now running just fine.

If the battery is working properly it is likely the Coal Canister Purge Valve that is causing this problem.

:beer:

/Jocke

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same problem Andrea described in my July 2000 Hyundai Accent.

For the last 6 months every time I refill the tank it stalls - regular as clockwork... after about 3 days it runs fine - doesn't matter how far I travel.

Fixing this appears to be just guesswork... an "oxygen sensor" has been replaced ($400) with no effect... They are going to "try replacing the fuel filter" tomorrow... this sounds as though it's going to get expensive...

My battery is OK.

The symptoms are so regular I was hoping someone may have found a solution...

Cheers

Roger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts