Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I would think you should be able to find (4) steel Sonata wheels somewhere, just put some plain old valve stems in them, mount and balance your snow tires, and drive..

No need for TPMS for a few month out of the year, when you put your Hyundai TPMS sensor equipped alloys back on, all will be well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jun 17 2010, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333923
I would think you should be able to find (4) steel Sonata wheels somewhere, just put some plain old valve stems in them, mount and balance your snow tires, and drive..

No need for TPMS for a few month out of the year, when you put your Hyundai TPMS sensor equipped alloys back on, all will be well.
My dealer said I would just have to cover up whatever light comes on to tell you the tires are low if it will be annoying. I'm also planning on getting good quality winter tires on plain black rims, nothing fancy, but will save my nice wheels for the summer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jun 17 2010, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333923

Here where I am it is winter tire time from Mid November to mid April - If I can get used Sonata steel rims with hub cups I will go for it but bare black steel rims are a bit too much for me for 5 months at a time :) Buying new hub caps and new steel rims is almost as much as buying inexpensive mags .

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For us Canadians our Sonata's do not have TPMS in them so no need to worry about it. I got 18" on my car and can confirm no TPMS also, no mention of TPMS in the Canadian manual and no light on the dash for it. Dealer confirmed it too when they dismounted the tires off the stock 17" rims.

Myself I'm using the stock 17" Limited wheels for winter and going with either Nokian Haka R or try one of the cheaper alternatives like the General Altimax Arctic. The Generals are dirt cheap but from what I read they perform really good. Other option is the Michelin X-Ice XI2. I've used Nokian's on my old car and they are great but expensive, my brother has the Michelin's on his Corolla and likes them, they are about as expensive as the Nokians, the Generals are like 35% less and they seem to be just as good.

Hyundai Canada's website shows 16" steel wheels for $79 for the Sonata. Pretty good price for 16" wheels as Kal Tire Charges a lot more. Also dealers can get just about any make or model of tire and their prices are cheap compared to tire shops. They say they are not a tire store so they aren't going to charge the markup of tire shops. I got my 18" Yokohama Avid Envigor for $145 Canadian each through my dealer, and other stores including Kal Tire wanted $160 each.

According to Fast Wheels the specs for the Sonata is:
bolt pattern: 5 x 114.3
thread size: 12 x 1.50
OEM Hex: 21mm
Hub: 67.0
OEM offset: +46

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Souks @ Jun 17 2010, 10:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333954
For us Canadians our Sonata's do not have TPMS in them so no need to worry about it. I got 18" on my car and can confirm no TPMS also, no mention of TPMS in the Canadian manual and no light on the dash for it. Dealer confirmed it too when they dismounted the tires off the stock 17" rims.

Myself I'm using the stock 17" Limited wheels for winter and going with either Nokian Haka R or try one of the cheaper alternatives like the General Altimax Arctic. The Generals are dirt cheap but from what I read they perform really good. Other option is the Michelin X-Ice XI2. I've used Nokian's on my old car and they are great but expensive, my brother has the Michelin's on his Corolla and likes them, they are about as expensive as the Nokians, the Generals are like 35% less and they seem to be just as good.

Hyundai Canada's website shows 16" steel wheels for $79 for the Sonata. Pretty good price for 16" wheels as Kal Tire Charges a lot more. Also dealers can get just about any make or model of tire and their prices are cheap compared to tire shops. They say they are not a tire store so they aren't going to charge the markup of tire shops. I got my 18" Yokohama Avid Envigor for $145 Canadian each through my dealer, and other stores including Kal Tire wanted $160 each.

According to Fast Wheels the specs for the Sonata is:
bolt pattern: 5 x 114.3
thread size: 12 x 1.50
OEM Hex: 21mm
Hub: 67.0
OEM offset: +46
Thanks Souks - this is good info - I have updated the 1st posting

I agree with you on the Nokians - I think I will pay a bit if a premium for them and get some of the additional cost back by going for the 16"

Got mixed feelings about not having the TPMS but at least I will save some money or won't have a light in my face all the time

·
Banned
630 Posts
times like this when I'm glad I have a 4runner for my winter snow fun :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 18 2010, 07:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334032
times like this when I'm glad I have a 4runner for my winter snow fun :D
Hey, when it comes to braking in icy conditions all cars are effectively four runners, then it is only up to the tires. Without winter tires a 4WD just gets you to the scene of the accident faster :p

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Jun 18 2010, 07:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334035
Hey, when it comes to braking in icy conditions all cars are effectively four runners, then it is only up to the tires. Without winter tires a 4WD just gets you to the scene of the accident faster :p
not worried about braking or ice.....NY roads are salted/sanded very frequently (which you can tell by all the rust buckets out here) ...my concern is being able to fly through unplowed blocks covered with 10" of snow all the while I'm pounding thru in my 4runner doing 50 in full time 4wd not loosing an ounce of traction :D

(yes I do 50 in 10" of snow...yes I am that nuts..no I've never got into an accident)

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (DonRich90 @ Jun 18 2010, 12:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334149
Yeah, but how many have you caused? :whistling:

Don

none....there are two types of ppl in this world...accident causers and accident avoiders...I am an accident avoider! (there's a reason why both my 15 yr old 95 legends are mint)

·
Registered
486 Posts

I called around today to seven dealers looking for some take off wheels, but no luck yet. One quoted me $295 for one 16" steel wheel. MAN, I hope this is not going to be the norm for buying parts for these cars? Too new for the salvage yards and the custom wheel centers haven't seen any yet either. Best that I could do today was an aftermarket China made custom wheels at $95 apiece, way too much $$ for just snow tire mounts. On to plan B.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jun 18 2010, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334329

I called around today to seven dealers looking for some take off wheels, but no luck yet. One quoted me $295 for one 16" steel wheel. MAN, I hope this is not going to be the norm for buying parts for these cars? Too new for the salvage yards and the custom wheel centers haven't seen any yet either. Best that I could do today was an aftermarket China made custom wheels at $95 apiece, way too much $$ for just snow tire mounts. On to plan B.

That is why I want to allow me a few months to find a good deal

I found these specs for the 2009 model - so if you can get a 2009 model your luck maybe in

OEM wheel info:
Steel 16x6.5 offset +46 (~23lbs)
Aluminum 16x6.5 offset +46
Aluminum 17x6.5 offset +46 (~22lbs)
Bolt pattern 5x114.3mm (5x4.5in)
Center hub is 67.1mm

I saw a set of 4 used rims and tires used on an older Sonata for $400 but the rims were already very yellowish - (indicating very old).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Added some links to the advantages of Nitrogen in the tires instead of air.

I see one can buy you own home kit (hi pressure cylinder). Does anyone have experience with these kits.

·
Registered
486 Posts
>>>I called around today to seven dealers looking for some take off wheels, but no luck yet. One quoted me $295 for one 16" steel wheel. MAN, I hope this is not going to be the norm for buying parts for these cars? Too new for the salvage yards and the custom wheel centers haven't seen any yet either. Best that I could do today was an aftermarket China made custom wheels at $95 apiece, way too much $$ for just snow tire mounts. On to plan B. >>>>>>>

HE..SHOOOTS..HE SCOOORES....

Plan B, I left my name with a few dealer parts departments and asked them to give me a call if they ever got any take off wheels.
Well to day I get the call, four , like new 17" LIMITED take off wheels with TPM sensors, (no tires) ..$200. SOLD

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jun 23 2010, 10:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335705
>>>I called around today to seven dealers looking for some take off wheels, but no luck yet. One quoted me $295 for one 16" steel wheel. MAN, I hope this is not going to be the norm for buying parts for these cars? Too new for the salvage yards and the custom wheel centers haven't seen any yet either. Best that I could do today was an aftermarket China made custom wheels at $95 apiece, way too much $$ for just snow tire mounts. On to plan B. >>>>>>>

HE..SHOOOTS..HE SCOOORES....

Plan B, I left my name with a few dealer parts departments and asked them to give me a call if they ever got any take off wheels.
Well to day I get the call, four , like new 17" LIMITED take off wheels with TPM sensors, (no tires) ..$200. SOLD
Wha!, my name is at our local dealer too :thumbsup: Have to call the second one tomorrow

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like my luck is running out in getting a replaced alloy rim set from a local dealer for my winter set. So I will have to buy after market

I cannot get any after market offerings from suitable dealers that have exactly the the OEM specifications as stated in the first post in this thread. I am therefor looking up to folks that have played around with other rims an tires for some guidance. How much of a tolerance will I have with regard to rim width and offset. For the winter set I want to step down to the GLS specification to get a bit more sidewall and a slightly narrower tire that is better for snow conditions. Problem is I cannot find a 16x6.5 alloy rim, only 16x7 and up. Tirerack recommends a 215 for this rim. Will a 205 tire be okay on a 16x7 or will the narrower tire be noticeable?

Edit - With a bit of Google -ing I have found the answer to my question - - first post has been updated

1 - 20 of 41 Posts