Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to you that run separate wheels/snow tires through the winter.

For winter driving, the factory tires on my limited are abysmal. So I am looking to pickup a set of four snow tires and mount them on regular steel wheels. But I am wondering about the pressure sensors. If I replace the wheels, will there be just the warning light on the dash, or is there a warning chime as well? I can live with just the warning light (electrical tape) but the chime would drive me crazy. And I'm too cheap to buy additional sensors.

RB

·
22,793 Posts
No warning chime that I'm aware of. I've had two occasions where the TMPS went off on the dash (nail & screw). Never an audible alarm.

Snow tires are usually recommended to be run at 5 PSi lower than your other tires from what I understand. Ask your installer.

And you're right: OEM tires are good enough to get you off the dealer's lot. Maybe a bit further. :wink2:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Rich I run my snows at the same psi as summer tires. 34 to start and when they go down to 30 I refill. 30 is the reccommended psi for the 06 Sonata.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Hmm, speaking of this scenario you'd think the TPMS manufacturers would have these systems setup to handle two sets of wheels/tires to address this specific issue when you have to rotate wheels/tires for the seasons. Maybe just some sort of switch to toggle between the two. Folks in the southern regions are a little better off as we can use all seasons year round, or for the warmer areas summer tires.

·
22,793 Posts
I was reading on the forum where others posted snow tire PSI recommendations be set lower than OEM All Season's.

So, the 30 psi is the pressure on your door sticker? Wow! That just seems low to me. But if it's 30, I certainly won't question the OEM's recommendations. Do the tires wear down evenly across the tread?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Under inflating a snow tire will give you slightly better traction. But it would be minimal. To give you a significantly bigger footprint, you would have to go about 8-10 under. This works in an emergency when you need to get unstuck, but for prolonged driving, it's best to stick to the recommended pressure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The manual for my 2013 Elantra states that snow tires should have 4 lbs more pressure than what is listed on the door jamb. I didn't like the ride, so I just kept the pressure at 32 psi, which is what is stated on the door.

Running too low a pressure on the snows or any tire will cause the tire to overheat and fail.

My TPMS light is on since I don't have sensors on the winter wheels, no chime! I just cut a piece of black construction paper to fit neatly in the corner of the display covering the TPMS light, will remove it in the spring.

·
22,793 Posts
The manual for my 2013 Elantra states that snow tires should have 4 lbs more pressure than what is listed on the door jamb.
THE definitive answer. I'm satisfied, educated, and stand corrected.

I just cut a piece of black construction paper to fit neatly in the corner of the display covering the TPMS light, will remove it in the spring.
Smart idea. And simple, too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used a piece of tissue paper over the TPMS light area, lightly traced the corner area with a pencil and then transfered it to the construction paper. Made sure it only covered the TPMS light, worked well!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since we're on the subject, can anyone recommend some good snow tires? We just had our first snowstorm here on the East and our Elantra faired very poor. I know its just the tires - looking for a good set that anyone here has used.

·
22,793 Posts
Since we're on the subject, can anyone recommend some good snow tires? We just had our first snowstorm here on the East and our Elantra faired very poor. I know its just the tires - looking for a good set that anyone here has used.
This was just posted, Steve: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-m...ian-snow-tires-goodyear-nordic-usa-usage.html

Not a recommendation. Just another option for you to check out. And the Blizzak's get great reviews. Since we don't normally have a big demand for snow tires here, I can't help you much.

Do some looking on Tire Rack and Discount Tire websites and check out the owner reviews and ratings. Might be some nice manufacturer's rebates being offered, too.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I've got Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 studless tires (fantastic tires, BTW) on black steelies and some generic wheel covers, one of which has gone on strike and refuses to stay put so I will pick up a replacement. I also am a big fan of the electrical tape over the TPMS light. No chime and the tape is essentially invisible night and day. I'm a happy camper. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts