Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on all the negativity about Kumho KH25's OEM tires I am thinking about buying Blizzak's for the snow. Most Tire Dealers where I live offer free lifetime changing with purchase. My question: is there any wear and tear when tires are mounted and dismounted each year if I don't buy extra rims which of course are expensive?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run Blizzaks on 4 vehicles and change over on one of them and have always worn them out before having any bead problems. Given the cost of swapping I prefer to buy an extra set of wheels. I would worry more about some underpaid shop tech scratching my rims.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I put my winter tires on the 14"OE steel rims for the Accent. Then got some 15" aluminum rims for the three season tires. Should have gone to 16"...

·
22,793 Posts
I run Blizzaks on 4 vehicles and change over on one of them and have always worn them out before having any bead problems. Given the cost of swapping I prefer to buy an extra set of wheels. I would worry more about some underpaid shop tech scratching my rims.
Blizzaks get RAVE reviews. Underpaid shop techs do not. Nice "head's up."

If I needed snow tires in this locale, I would do like most others and spring for the steelies and just keep the tires mounted, year-round. I love the like-new condition of my rims, and want to do everything possible to keep them that way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm looking for a set of rims right now. Boy they aren't easy to find unless you want to pay big bucks. Even with the tires themselves those 16" rims drive the price way way up. I never could see having the high speed rated stuff for winter. The only folks I see who tend to need that come from neighboring Quebec and those are often seen off in the puckerbush past the ditch. Wiping out on icy roads at 80 is truly an unnecessary life altering experience as well as a perfect Physics lab.
It's really not worth switching them back and forth as the price to mount and dismount is past $80 likely more with those TMP transmitters installed. I'll just stick my snows on steel and use the good old M1A1 piece of tape to cover up the idiot light. I can ignore it for 3 months a year easily.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Switching over rims ,TPMS sensors and underpaid tire tecs ...not a good combination.

My truck already had a sensor with clear sign of impact damage; sensor had to be replaced shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just spoke to someone from Town Fair Tire here in CT. If I buy the Blizzak's from them lifetime rotation is "FREE" but they charge a discounted price of $40 each changeover which includes balancing and new stems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts