Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Nokian WR G3 tires on my car. My old insurance company recognized these as winter tires and gave me a discount. The new insurance company, that I switched to, would not recognize these tires as being snow tires and refused to give me a discount. These tires are recognized by the Province of Quebec as being snow tires ( they have a compulsory snow tire law ). I live in Ontario but anyways are these snow tires or not ?

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are all weather tires. all you had to do was search the tire name and you would have found the very first link for https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-g3/

all weather does not mean snow tires, only that they can be driven in snow. that's probably why the insurance company says no. they are not specifically snow tires, such as these https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/passenger-car/winter-tires/

So if it is not a snow tire ,then why is it accepted in the Province of Quebec , where snow tires in winter are compulsory ? I thought that this was a snow tire that can be driven all year, whereas the other snow tires can only be driven in Winter. It even has a snowflake on it but I admit that it probably isn't as good in snow as a truly dedicated snow tire is, which needs to be used only in the winter season.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My insurance company (for discount) likes me to use ALL Season in the late Spring-Summer-early Fall months and full "winter" tires in the early-full-late Winter months as well. They (and I) don't like me to use ALL Weather tires during winter months either. No big deal for me. I simply slip on another set of full winter ICE/SNOW rated tires - just like I slip on the winter boots for my feet. If you surf All-weather vs All-season vs Winter Tires - Kal Tire and compare the columns, you'll see that ALL Weather tires don't score very high in the winter months. I also remember reading the "all weather" tires does best from -7C to +7C winter driving conditions. Great for folks who live/drive in Toronto region and/or Vancouver region. re: Places that don't get much snow and ice - compared to northern Canada region - like my north Ontario region. As for Quebec province recognizing "all weather" as Full Winter tires, I guess the definition of "ALL Weather" winter tire usage understanding got lost in translation. LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts