Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the forecast for our area is from 6 to 12 inches of snow.
How good are these Santa Fe Limited's in snow?
What kind of traction can I expect??

TIA,
Petunia

·
Registered
756 Posts
Excellent question... assuming you have the stock kumho, right?
I have had very small experience so far, this is my first AWD.
It is also the first time I did not have to get off the car on an icy short road uphill going to the mountains.
The funny thing is that a friend with SUV FWD calls my phone, can you help me push it??? So, actually, I still had to get off my car. Next time I 'll make sure to turn the phone off...ooops, bad reception :-D

So traction is good. About stopping and cornering I cannot say, I was going really slow... below 20 mph I guess anything can go :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent question... assuming you have the stock kumho, right?
I have had very small experience so far, this is my first AWD.
It is also the first time I did not have to get off the car on an icy short road uphill going to the mountains.
The funny thing is that a friend with SUV FWD calls my phone, can you help me push it??? So, actually, I still had to get off my car. Next time I 'll make sure to turn the phone off...ooops, bad reception :-D

So traction is good. About stopping and cornering I cannot say, I was going really slow... below 20 mph I guess anything can go :)
Thanks.
My previous vehicle was a Tahoe and that was capable of handling 18" of snow.
Just wondering what the upper limit would be on the Santa fe.
Petunia

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, we have a 2014 AWD Limited in Woodbridge and during the recent snow storms I've intentionally taken it out ... It does GREAT! I'm from Utah though and know how to drive in snow, so it doesn't bother me at all ... I'm very comfortable in most road conditions.

Regardless, I think the Santa Fe AWD does a great job in those conditions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we have a 2014 AWD Limited in Woodbridge and during the recent snow storms I've intentionally taken it out ... It does GREAT! I'm from Utah though and know how to drive in snow, so it doesn't bother me at all ... I'm very comfortable in most road conditions.

Regardless, I think the Santa Fe AWD does a great job in those conditions.
Good to know!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Our 2013 AWD GLS has also been pretty good in the snow with the stock Kuhmo tires so far this winter. Certainly no worse than our 2004 Honda Pilot AWD...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6 to 10

Our 2013 AWD GLS has also been pretty good in the snow with the stock Kuhmo tires so far this winter. Certainly no worse than our 2004 Honda Pilot AWD...
Our forecast is calling for 6 to 10 inches.
This should be interesting !!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been pretty impressed on how the Sante Fe handles in the snow and ice. Now with temps getting into the 40's and 50's I'll get to see how it handles the mud unfortunately..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found the stock tires horrible in our Canadian winter....I put on Bridgestone Blizzaks with a 17" rim and they are awesome. I do find the traction control is a little delayed in reacting sometimes, or at least delayed in the little light coming on on the console.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I've been pretty impressed on how the Sante Fe handles in the snow and ice. Now with temps getting into the 40's and 50's I'll get to see how it handles the mud unfortunately..
We got a good 6 inches.
I plan to test out the Santa Fe today.

·
22,788 Posts
We got a good 6 inches.
I plan to test out the Santa Fe today.
Find an empty parking lot and do some "controlled" stupid stuff to see how she handles. Be careful on the highway until you "become one with your ride." You and your car are a team, both of you need to respect each other's limits. YOU, more than she. :grin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well,....

Find an empty parking lot and do some "controlled" stupid stuff to see how she handles. Be careful on the highway until you "become one with your ride." You and your car are a team, both of you need to respect each other's limits. YOU, more than she. :grin:
Well, I have a few driving skills. I am an active SCCA racecar driver.
I am also a track Instructor, and I have spent at least a couple of thousand hours at the skid pad.
:)

·
22,788 Posts
Well, I have a few driving skills. I am an active SCCA racecar driver.
I am also a track Instructor, and I have spent at least a couple of thousand hours at the skid pad.
:)
Wow, Petunia, this is good stuff. When I come out to Virginia in May to visit my dad, how about giving an old geezer some driving tips. :wink2: Lord knows, I'm always eager to learn new things, and could benefit from a professional's guidance.

That's awesome, your post, above. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why Sure

Wow, Petunia, this is good stuff. When I come out to Virginia in May to visit my dad, how about giving an old geezer some driving tips. :wink2: Lord knows, I'm always eager to learn new things, and could benefit from a professional's guidance.

That's awesome, your post, above. :thumbsup:
Always willing to help. but what are your goals??
I'm sure you've been driving for years, and have tons of experience.

·
Registered
756 Posts
So Petunia, can you add some details on your recent snow/ice driving experience
Did you have to lock your AWD?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Petunia, can you add some details on your recent snow/ice driving experience
Did you have to lock your AWD?
No, didn't need to lock.
The basic AWD handled this soft snow we got quite effortlessly.
It wasn't much more than 6 inches at the worst.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here in Ottawa, the stock all-season Kumhos in my new 2012 Veracruz were good enough the first winter, but clearly started to loose traction late in the winter (at around 20k miles of use). This winter I got proper Blizzak DM-V1s winter tires, and they are certainly much better...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here in Ottawa, the stock all-season Kumhos in my new 2012 Veracruz were good enough the first winter, but clearly started to loose traction late in the winter (at around 20k miles of use). This winter I got proper Blizzak DM-V1s winter tires, and they are certainly much better...
How many inches of snow were you able to handles with the Kumho's??
TIA,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts