Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Sonata GLS, I was wondering how yours does in the snow and ice. I was not impressed with mine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine didn't seem too had last night in the 2" or so we got here in SEPA...spun the crappy stock tires a bit then TC kicked in and we got to moving, uphill start...stabbed the brakes to see how ABS was and it kicked in as normal and slowed down. You have to realize this car is apretty hefty piglet and requires some distance to stop...something the ~100 cars involved in 2 major accidents in Philly apparently forgot.

We have a jeep for snow/Ice, but took the sonata last night specifically for the reason of testing.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
No issues here. Took it out in 4" or so of fallen snow with varying degrees of actual depth. I have DWS on mine and it did very well. I was happy enough.

·
Registered
143 Posts
not too bad.. last week though i got stuck going up a hill because if ice with the snow. I heard a really strange clicking sound and at the same time my traction control light came on.. does anyone know if that is normal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stock Kumo tires have got to be the worst tires for snow I have ever had. Bought a set of Brigestone Blizzak tires and it made all the difference in the world. My driveway has a slope to it and the kumo tires would barely make it up to the garage. Needless to say I will not be purchasing a replacement set of kumo tires for summer driving.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
not too bad.. last week though i got stuck going up a hill because if ice with the snow. I heard a really strange clicking sound and at the same time my traction control light came on.. does anyone know if that is normal.
yes, the clicking noise you heard is normal when the TC is engaged.

·
Registered
134 Posts
With a good set of snow tires it handles quite well. The stock tires are not known for very good snow/ice traction, but that's quite common with stock all-season tires on many cars these days.

·
Registered
521 Posts
TC = traction control.

Usually in the past two winters my car has handled pretty good with the stock tires, I haven't had any major problems, just the occasional getting stuck when there is 6+ inches of snow on the ground or something. This winter though, we got our first real snowfall a few days ago (about 4 inches of snow I would estimate) and my car handled very poorly. I was trying to leave the church parking lot and my car started to slide and I came really close to almost hitting a sign. Thank god that the car caught itself inches before the sign. I would think it's the crappy stock Kumho tires, IMO they are worn down a bit (not completely) but a good amount. According to the dealer, they still have a lot of time left (figures lol).

Anyway, after that incident, I have seriously been considering getting rid of the stock tires and putting some dedicated winter tires since I have 16" hubcaps, and then getting a new wheel/tire summer setup for when the weather gets better. We'll see what money allows.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
my reasoning was that i found a set of wheels & tires from craigslist for $500. my insurance deductible was $500. i figured one 'slide into a curb' was worth the cost if i could avoid it with winter tires. now, three years later, ALL my cars have dedicated winter tires.

it's like using a filter wrench to remove an oil filter vs. the hammer a screwdriver thru it to remove it. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Stock Kumo tires have got to be the worst tires for snow I have ever had. Bought a set of Brigestone Blizzak tires and it made all the difference in the world. My driveway has a slope to it and the kumo tires would barely make it up to the garage. Needless to say I will not be purchasing a replacement set of kumo tires for summer driving.
You're comparing dedicated winter tires to the all-seasons our cars come with. Of course there will be a difference. Survey ratings say these Kumhos are just "fair" and only in light snow. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoYear=2013&autoModel=Sonata&autoModClar=GLS (click on surveys tab)

There are other all-seasons which are rated "unacceptable" so it could be worse. I've driven the GLS in a few inches of snow on flat ground and slight uphills and it is definitely acceptable.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What is this snow stuff you speak of?
HEHEHEHEEE,, something that is a way of life around here and all the people that live here and drive here act like they all from the south somewhere,, AAHHHHHHHHHHHH,, White death...

Funny you should ask, 3 of us went to lunch at local wing place for lunch Friday, and it was coming down hard (snow),, they had HLN on 1 of the TV's, and fella was in Dallas doing reports,, not a car to be seen on the roads..

Got back to shop, hit the Hyundai Dealer site, message from HMA says PDC in Dallas is closed for operations due to weather,, we out living it like another day in paradise, and you all is stuck at home.. silly local schools out in county here on 2hr delay, and some/most in the city more is closed.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
HEHEHEHEEE,, something that is a way of life around here and all the people that live here and drive here act like they all from the south somewhere,, AAHHHHHHHHHHHH,, White death...

Funny you should ask, 3 of us went to lunch at local wing place for lunch Friday, and it was coming down hard (snow),, they had HLN on 1 of the TV's, and fella was in Dallas doing reports,, not a car to be seen on the roads..

Got back to shop, hit the Hyundai Dealer site, message from HMA says PDC in Dallas is closed for operations due to weather,, we out living it like another day in paradise, and you all is stuck at home.. silly local schools out in county here on 2hr delay, and some/most in the city more is closed.
Very similar to when I lived out in Virginia. First year I was there we had 2 inches of snow. They declared a snow emergency and warned people to stay home/off the roads. BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE PLOWS!

As far as handling, the Sled has been doing great with the Mich Primacy MXM's. Our area just got about 4 inches of fresh powder on top of the slushy mess that came through 2 weeks ago. Can you say skating rink?

Kind of miss my Conti DWS for cornering in dry weather but, at this point, we wont see pavement up here until April.

LOVE...THIS...CAR!!!

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
95% of troubles driving in winter weather is drivers. I'd give 4% to drivers and 1% to vehicles themselves. Lots of Canadian and Northern US members here and they seem to survive just fine with the car.

Dedicated snow tires will always beat "regular" tires. All have a trade off. Even my trucks have summer "street" tire/wheel combos and a seperate set of winter/snow wheels and tires. Wasted my time putting them on the last two years; think they'll get some more use this year.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Mine has been decent with a set of Blizzaks. But I must say, the added weight of the GM 3800 engine in my Grand Prix gave me some nice traction. The nimble 2.4 in the Sonata just can't compete with that. Tis the price of 30+ mpg.

·
Registered
689 Posts
95% of troubles driving in winter weather is drivers. I'd give 4% to drivers and 1% to vehicles themselves.
Wutttt :confused:.
The stock tires are terrible in the snow. Last year, we got 5" and I couldn't get up anything. Awful experience , and will not take the car out if it gets anywhere above 4" (besides through the city where it is frequently plowed).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wutttt :confused:.
The stock tires are terrible in the snow. Last year, we got 5" and I couldn't get up anything. Awful experience , and will not take the car out if it gets anywhere above 4" (besides through the city where it is frequently plowed).
Agreed, I had my first chance to drive mine in the snow this past Sunday. With about an inch of snow on the street it handled okay at 20 mph-30 mph, I turned around because people decided to go sledding in their cars and started crashing... 10 minutes later I pulled into the slight ramp (maybe 5 degrees of an incline) that leads to our parking lot, and I got stuck! I dropped it to first gear , which had not affect as it started spinning like craaazy with the slightest tap. A few minutes later after reversing and driving I made it in. I was not impressed with th

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
You "put it in first"? Like I said before, most of it is drivers not knowing how to drive in the snow. I meant to say the blame is 4% on the tires. Notice most of those saying they have problemns are from the same place...that says something about the driving issues.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts