Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyways, I noticed that when I turn on the heat in my Sonata when the car is cold I hear snapping and popping and cracking noises
coming from the vents. It only lasts for maybe about five minutes and then they go away when the plastics in the vents, oh I don't know, adapt to the temperature? Same thing when the car is hot inside and I turn on the A/C I get the same kinds of noises. Now I'm wondering if this has to do with the materials still being new and after a while these noises will eventually go away or cheap plastics which means it will always be like this. Anyone else notice this?

The reason I ask is because my previous car was a 06 Civic which was bought brand new and I don't recall ever experiencing this. It's not a big deal I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this also and can share some insight.

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ Jun 18 2010, 07:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334298
Anyways, I noticed that when I turn on the heat in my Sonata when the car is cold I hear snapping and popping and cracking noises
coming from the vents. It only lasts for maybe about five minutes and then they go away when the plastics in the vents, oh I don't know, adapt to the temperature? Same thing when the car is hot inside and I turn on the A/C I get the same kinds of noises. Now I'm wondering if this has to do with the materials still being new and after a while these noises will eventually go away or cheap plastics which means it will always be like this. Anyone else notice this?

The reason I ask is because my previous car was a 06 Civic which was bought brand new and I don't recall ever experiencing this. It's not a big deal I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this also and can share some insight.
I noticed this on the 09 Sonata loaner they gave me while I was waiting for my 2011 Limited to arrive. It sounded like leaves or plastic in the vents. And I thought "I hope the new car doesnt sound like this"...and it doesnt. Its quiet..A little LOUD when its on high, but otherwise quiet.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Sounds like condensation blowing in the fan. Maybe your drain hole is clogged or the drain tube is pinched?

·
Registered
564 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ Jun 18 2010, 07:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334298

My Sonata makes the same noises. My previous '06 Chevy Impala did the same thing, and my parent's 2010 Ford Taurus has some dash crackle when first turning on the A/C on a hot day.

It is just the plastic adjusting to the fast temperature change from warm to cold or vice versa. It will most likely never go away.

When the interior of my Sonata cools off after running the A/C for a while it develops several rattles, creaks, ticks, etc. It is very disappointing in that regard.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (ryster @ Jun 18 2010, 05:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334314
My Sonata makes the same noises. My previous '06 Chevy Impala did the same thing, and my parent's 2010 Ford Taurus has some dash crackle when first turning on the A/C on a hot day.

It is just the plastic adjusting to the fast temperature change from warm to cold or vice versa. It will most likely never go away.

When the interior of my Sonata cools off after running the A/C for a while it develops several rattles, creaks, ticks, etc. It is very disappointing in that regard.
Luckily I haven't had any rattles and creaks after the A/C cools down the car. Just that initial cracking and popping from the vents.

Anyways, thanks for responding guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah I've had this in my SE since the temp has been getting over 95 and up here, a/c doesnt have to be on just rolling down the windows does it for me. However it's gotten quiter everyday...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts