Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving down the road and the serpentine belt came off. When I opened it up to take a look one of the idler pulleys fell out the bottom of the car. The bolt had completely broken off.
Towed it to the dealership and they recommend replacing the engine since the threaded end of the bolt is in engine. The other option is to take it apart and find it which is nearly as expensive and has no guaranties
Anybody else have an experience like this?

·
Registered
163 Posts
They make tools to remove broken bolts. Basically, you drill a shallow hole in the center of the bolt and then twist the reverse threaded tool in. As is tightens up, it unscrews the bolt, since it is tightening counter-clockwise. Replacing an engine instead of removing a broken bolt sounds ridiculous.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The broken bolt can be drilled out, but there maybe not enough room. You can tow your car to local shop and let them decide. May need hours of labor to jack up the engine

·
Registered
7 Posts
we have 15 of these with 3.8 engines & have never had a bolt break in over 2000,000 miles on many vans, have replaced a lot of pulleys BUT otherwise, we wish they still made the Entourage & not moved to the Kia sedona w/3.5 engine & "cheapened overall van"

·
Registered
30 Posts
we have 15 of these with 3.8 engines & have never had a bolt break in over 2000,000 miles on many vans, have replaced a lot of pulleys BUT otherwise, we wish they still made the Entourage & not moved to the Kia sedona w/3.5 engine & "cheapened overall van"
I agree, the 3.8L may have some common oil leak issues (Valve Cover/Oil pan gasket) but it's robust and smooth. How often did you replace the spark plugs for the 3.8L in your fleet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my wife's van... I left the broken piece way down inside the block. There is an unthreaded aluminum housing that the bolt goes through to get to the block. I tapped this out to the correct size and installed a threaded reducer. It looks like a ring with (3/8"?) on the outside diameter, and something like 3/8" on the inside. After installing this reducer, I was able to install a new pulley with a new bolt. It has been working fine ever since.

FWIW- mine broke because the belt exploded into shoe lace, which wrapped up in the pulley. I had it towed, the mechanic claimed it was broken when they found it, but I think they tried to remove the pulley while the belt was holding it solid and broke it off. They wanted to remove the engine to fix it. My repair took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my wife's van... I left the broken piece way down inside the block. There is an unthreaded aluminum housing that the bolt goes through to get to the block. I tapped this out to the correct size and installed a threaded reducer. It looks like a ring with (3/8"?) on the outside diameter, and something like 3/8" on the inside. After installing this reducer, I was able to install a new pulley with a new bolt. It has been working fine ever since.

FWIW- mine broke because the belt exploded into shoe lace, which wrapped up in the pulley. I had it towed, the mechanic claimed it was broken when they found it, but I think they tried to remove the pulley while the belt was holding it solid and broke it off. They wanted to remove the engine to fix it. My repair took about 30 minutes.
Do you mind to tell me what you mean by “tapped out”. I believe the same thing has happened to me however the aluminum housing has broken in half as you can see in the photo below. Any recommendations as the van isn’t worth the $1000 quote but neither can I afford to buy another vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

Just trying to understand what I'm looking at but looks like part of the thread is still in the block? This timing cover is around $160,but the labour must be a killer.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Can you share the part info?
Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts