Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with my santa fe last weekend. Tried to overtake on dual carriageway, car didn't feel right and had lots of white smoke starting coming out of exhaust. Pulled over and called AA out who seemed to think it was possibly a problem with turbo and towed me to the nearest Hyundai dealership. I phoned local dealership on Monday and they told me they would hopefully get back to me within couple of days to let me know what the problem was.

They called back few days later asking for my permission to remove cylinder head (seems I had to give permission in case they found something which invalidated warranty). Still hadn't heard anything today so called back to be told they were still trying to diagnose problem, and I should hear back sometime middle next week.

They won't talk about supplying courtesy car etc... until they have decided if the problem is covered under warranty.

I'm very fed up at the moment - having spent one week out without a car, and still clueless as to when I'm going to get it back. Is this an acceptable amount of time to be kept waiting?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket to me but the fact they're beating around the bush arouses suspicion as well. Hopefully you get answers soon.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Probably coolant getting into the combustion chamber somehow... not always a quick diagnosis. But it shouldn't take more than a day or two for the dealer to figure it out, and then a few more to fix it.

Where I live courtesy cars are not part of the warranty, although some dealers will offer one at their own expense. Seems like the right thing to do, when they are clearly not in any rush to fix your vehicle. I would press them for a loaner.

Hopefully your luck will change soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little update from me.....

My 4 year old (40k miles on clock) car broke down 2 weeks ago. On Tuesday this week local dealership finally diagnosed the problem to have been caused by cracked piston. They contacted Hyundai requesting permission to replace whole engine. Hyundai have refused the request and want the garage to only replace the cracked piston. Dealership are reluctant to do this as they can't guarantee problem won't happen again, and want to ensure the root cause of problem is dealt with. They have now been asked to strip down engine again to see what else they can uncover, which will be next Wedesday at the earliest.

Once dealership and Hyundai can agree on what needs to be replaced (under warranty) and parts are on back order Hyundai will authorise a courtesy car. My wait for my fixed car/courtesy car continues.......... :(

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (minnie sota @ Oct 9 2010, 03:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362284
They have now been asked to strip down engine again to see what else they can uncover...
I blinked twice when I read that "again". They didn't reassemble it with a bad piston in it, did they? Or did you mean they'll tear it down the rest of the way to be sure there's no other surprises?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (canderson @ Oct 10 2010, 11:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362416
I blinked twice when I read that "again". They didn't reassemble it with a bad piston in it, did they? Or did you mean they'll tear it down the rest of the way to be sure there's no other surprises?
Sorry yes you are right. When I said "again" I meant they had to revisit inspecting the engine.... but you put it far more clearly than me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3.5 weeks since the original breakdown and a further update from me.

The local dealer discovered heavy oil damage to no.1 cylinder, and re-requested a new engine from Hyundai.

Hyundai asked for photographic evidence which was duly supplied by the dealer.

Hyundai have requested the dealer to submit an authorisation for a short engine, which is the bottom bottom of the engine with pistons.

Waiting for further news.....

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (minnie sota @ Oct 20 2010, 09:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364839
3.5 weeks since the original breakdown and a further update from me.

The local dealer discovered heavy oil damage to no.1 cylinder, and re-requested a new engine from Hyundai.

Hyundai asked for photographic evidence which was duly supplied by the dealer.

Hyundai have requested the dealer to submit an authorisation for a short engine, which is the bottom bottom of the engine with pistons.

Waiting for further news.....
Sounds like they mean "heavy lack of oil damage to #1 cylinder". Bummer. Plugged oil galley? Who knows?

Dropping the rest of your engine on top of a new short block ... I'd ONLY allow that provided they're planning to do a VERY careful inspection of the heads & etc. that they are keeping. If there was significant damage to the original short block, even a single cylinder, that could easily mean that a bunch of crud (read, metal crud) was being floated around your entire oil system. It's not like there's separate oil for the top and bottom of the engine. Valve seals, camshafts, the whole works are now suspect. While the short block may be all that's needed, just slamming the existing heads back onto a new one without a very careful inspection isn't prudent. Make sure they're doing this for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts