Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I inspected a Santa fe 2008 diesel(automatic). 70000km on the clock. It is a real beauty. I noticed white smoke coming from the engine dipstick. Is it a big issue? Also it was a bit sluggish in the test drive compared to the other santys i drove. Is it related. Can this smoke problem be corrected? What would be the likely cause? Should I buy the vehicle? Sorry new to forum. And thankyou very much in advance.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Walk away, very quickly.

It's certainly not normal - I can think of two things it might be - the breather circuits are all blocked up with gum/tar - or the engine is badly worn and producing far more blow-by gases than the breather system can handle.

In both cases it indicates an engine that's been poorly maintained, probably all it's life.

Keep looking or go back to a good one you saw earlier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your time Trooper. Everything except for that is in mint condition. And it comes at a good price. So is there anything i can do for it?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
No way of knowing without a full examination and strip-down - my concern would be that you rarely get almost perfect engines with a single major fault - if it's got one major fault it may be badly worn with many faults or have other potential major faults waiting to surface.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
So is there anything i can do for it?
You can get the owner to let you take it to a mechanic of YOUR choice for a thorough diagnosis......and you would pay for at least half of that bill.

You did NOT take the dipstick out while the engine was running......right ??

And did you try pushing it IN, just incase it was part way out ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get the owner to let you take it to a mechanic of YOUR choice for a thorough diagnosis......and you would pay for at least half of that bill.

You did NOT take the dipstick out while the engine was running......right ??

And did you try pushing it IN, just incase it was part way out ??
Yes i took the dipstick out when the engine was running, only then i saw puffs of white smoke coming out! And yeah the owner told me that he'll take me to the hyundai company for a thorough diagnosis.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My guess is these puffs need to be produced by some form of intermittend pressure. So probably one of the cylinders is leaking it's pressure into an oil channel. But because it is white smoke it could be it is not directly into the oil which I would think would give blue or black smoke, but maybe via some coolant water that is pushed into the oil channel or oil pan giving water vapour.
This could be caused by some kind of a crack in the engine block.
And that would cost you a whole new engine block plus disassembly and mounting costs.
But only a thorough investigation could give a correct diagnosis.
However , for a buying decision, I would simply walk away.
Good luck,
Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts