Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Sonata with 63K miles. Recently ive noticed when i come to a stop the car will start smoking and the cabin will fill up with a burning smell. You can see the smoke coming out of the vents where the wipers are. This only happens when i have the fan turned on full blast or almost full. If i turn the fan off or down to one notch it will stop smoking and the smell will go away. Someone told me maybe there is some lint or something on the coil but it has been doing this now for 2 weeks. Im scared to drive it because i dont know what is going on. Anyone else have a similar issue or have any suggestion. i looked for any leaks and could not see any. All the belts seem to be turning properly. Please help!

·
Premium Member
'21 Limited, "18 Limited, "15 Limited
602 Posts
"You can see the smoke coming out of the vents where the wipers are." Is this the vents inside of the car? or is it smoke coming from under the hood by the windshield on the outside of the car and it is getting in the car via fresh air venting?

If you change the air flow (windshield, cabin, feet area) does the smoke come from those areas?

When the fan is on high, does it make any squealing/rubbing sounds?

When the fan is on high, open the hood to see if there is something that looks/smells like its burning?

Is the burning smell oil, rubber, plastic?

Have you had an oil change or any other lubricants changed/added just before this started?

Reactions: Soccerguy48025

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thanks for the reply
the smoke is coming from under the hood by the windshield on the outside of the car.
I have not tried changing the direction of the air flow i will try that and it does not make any kind of sound when it is on high.
I have opened the hood while it is smoking and it is a burning smell i honestly cant say if its a rubber or plastic smell its got a chemical smell to it and yes i had the oil changed and then about 2 weeks later it started acting up. The car is not over heating and i checked all the fluids nothing seems low
Thanks for any input you may have

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Probably when they did the bulk oil fill they spilled some on the exhaust manifold. If it was the dealer they should clean it up, otherwise, keep your vents closed (or low) until it has burned-off. Unnecessary PITA from incompetent people.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Probably when they did the bulk oil fill they spilled some on the exhaust manifold. If it was the dealer they should clean it up, otherwise, keep your vents closed (or low) until it has burned-off. Unnecessary PITA from incompetent people.
I can attest to that! The goon that did my last oil change must have dribbled oil from the canister filter across the whole engine.:mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.