Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI!
I have a 2008 Sante Fe GLS.

When I turn on my AC, i get a smell in the cabin. It never particularly bothered me, but pops just rode in the car yesterday for the first time since i took it to school and he was gasping for air and almost vomiting lol.
However it does not smell when I use just plain air or heat.

He said its probably the cabin filter, I thought i'd check here first with the experts. Is this covered by my warranty?

Cheers!

Troy

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
the chances are it is the cabin filter or something has got into the air intake. remove the fliter (behind the glove box) and before you replace it with a new one check the airway into the filter box to check that its clear (you may find that something 'nasty' has got itself lodged in the pipeway.............this issue would not be covered under warranty

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
If the problem were your cabin air filter, you'd smell it with either heating or cooling. There's a much better chance that you've got mold/crud buildup in your A/C evaporator pan, or perhaps even a plugged evap drain tube. If you google it, you'll find all kinds of "solutions" to the problem, the first of which is always to be sure you don't have a plugged tube that is causing the water to be retained instead of drained.

Here are a couple of "local" threads:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=35835
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=38642

·
Registered
539 Posts
wd-40 is correct. Probably not the cabin air filter entirely. My toyota vehicles do the same thing with A/C or defroster on at times. It stinks really bad when first turning on the a/c or defroster. Simple thing to help this out and will not harm anything is to do what I did on my toyota vehicles. Take a can of spray lysol (your choice of fragrances, I like normal/regular myself) and spray very lightly only a couple of times into the cabin air filter (take cabin air filter out first of course) behind glove box with the A/C on and vents on high speed into the opening where the fan is and let the car run while doing this for 3-4 minutes to get the lysol into the vents. Also, open the hood while running with a/c on high and spary a few light mists into the fresh air grid under the hood in front on the passenger/middle of the bottom of the front windshield where the plastic grooved vents are for fresh air. Let it run 3-5 minutes also along with very lightly spraying (do not get it damp though) the cabin air filter with lysol and let dry in hot sun if slightly damp. This will get rid of the mold accumulated over the first 1-2 years of driving and help with the smell inside the vehicle for sure. It may smell like lysol the first 5-10 times using the vents, but the smell is much better and fresher than moldy gunk that really stinks up very badly.

Also, forgot, but it helps to shut off the a/c or defroster 2-3 minutes before you get home and let the evaporator condensor dry out thus not allowing mold and mildew to accumulate inside the a/c condensor system and elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.