Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, on Xmas eve I got a nice present when someone on the highway decided to slam their brakes on out of nowhere resulting in me ending up in the back of another car.

Luckily I have good coverage and my rate won't be affected as I have accident forgiveness. Do you guys think the car is a write off? The bags didn't go off but I hit pretty hard. I'm hoping its a write off because I really don't want the increased diminished value and possibility of reduced structural integrity after such am accident.

Thoughts? It's taking forever with insurance since it's over the holidays and it's driving me crazy thinking about it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. I'd say it is borderline - if the damage has gotten into the unibody of the areas around the doors or roof (does the driver's door close normally?), I'd be fairly certain it is a total, but if totally confined to the hood, it might be fixable. The insurance company will probably total it if the cost of repairs exceeds about 75% of the value of the car. So if the car is worth $15K, you're repair budget is about $11K.

Insurance companies have some flexibility and some will reimburse for diminished value on a late-model car.

- Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, I could not open the door normally I could only open it about 1/4 of the way. I had to exit the vehicle through the passenger door. So I am thinking there is unibody damage

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
That's terrible to see, but I'm glad you are ok. I too can't believe no airbags, especially since the driver side sensor was certainly jarred by this. You're at the mercy of the insurance company as far as repair vs replace, but push for replacement and see what happens. What a shame. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm surprised airbags didn't go off. This happened to me on Dec 20 and my leg air bag and steering wheel air bag went off. Waiting to see if totaled or not. So far damage was at 20k when I spoke with repairman. Less than 2 weeks old. Good luck with ins co.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sinking feeling, seeing the damage! But as long as everyone comes out without human damage, that is the important thing. Getting anything done before the the New Year? You'll probably have to go with the holiday flow.

So if it's totaled, are you getting a '14?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate all the comments guys, and sorry to hear about your wreck simon.

If it's a loss I will actually be going for a Scion FRS. It's what I wanted when I bought this car but they were so hard to get at the time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I too must register my disbelief that the airbags didn't go off. Makes me wonder if there was a problem with them. Unfortunately, airbag replacement is a huge expense, so if they had gone off, you likely would be a lot closer to totaling the car.

- Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Part of my worry is future problems, I see damage all the way back to the windshield as there is some plastic shield protruding on the left side, makes me wonder how much hidden damage there could be with cut or damaged wires or lines that could have been severed.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
I sure wouldn't want it.

In the old days of body on frame a "front clip" could take care of most of the problem; if not all, and there was very little of the elaborate electronics back then. I've done it myself. But on these new cars; virtually all of them are, damage like this is often terminal. It is rather astonishing how much cost is involved in fixing a car of today. and if it is not done right you'll never be happy.

There is a lesson to be learned here and that is never to get to close to the car in front of you. If you don't have an escape hatch this will be the result. I've gone 41 years without an accident. And the biggest single reason is that I don't and never will tail gate. And I always try to drive in the outside lane so I have some place to go; even if it is an open field or down into a ditch. Better to roll a vehicle than to have a collision. Oddly enough I have never rear ended another vehicle although I have been rear ended more than once. And I do not drive and hold up traffic either. I just see too many people asking to get into wrecks with their reckless driving.

And you are right about the diminished value of the vehicle because it will sure show up on a Carfax.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry hear about your accident. Glad you're ok though. I doubt it'll be a write off. If the car was a few years older, possibly. Plus the airbags didn't go off.

Hopefully it does turn out to be a write off, because I wouldn't want a car like that back either.

·
22,793 Posts
I sure would ask Hyundai, or a rep, why the airbags didn't deploy. Add me to the list of concerned viewers. On a great note: YOU'RE OK!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with everyone else i wouldnt want the car anymore. I had a light bump with my Miata when i rear ended someone at about 10mph this past summer. Wound up being $3k just for a new front bumper cover and drivers headlight. Its so expensive these days to repair so you might get lucky and have it totalled. Glad ur ok though cause really in the end thats all that counts...a friend once told me...they make new cars every day but people aren't replacable...so true. Best of luck to you.

·
22,793 Posts
And I always try to drive in the outside lane so I have some place to go; even if it is an open field or down into a ditch. Better to roll a vehicle than to have a collision.
Agree 100%. I'm usually found in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. I like having two options. Also correct is your first defense mechanism: not following too closely!

While I'm at it, might I say something somewhat related? "I HATE TAILGATERS!"

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Agree 100%. I'm usually found in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. I like having two options. Also correct is your first defense mechanism: not following too closely!

While I'm at it, might I say something somewhat related? "I HATE TAILGATERS!"
I also hate truckers who pull out to the fast lane to pass another truck diving 1-2 miles faster then the truck their passing...................

·
22,793 Posts
I also hate truckers who pull out to the fast lane to pass another truck diving 1-2 miles faster then the truck their passing...................
And if you just happen to be in an area where there are slight inclines, this can take 2-5 minutes, or longer. Meanwhile, the patience begins to wear thinly on that ever-lengthening line of motorists following behind. Once that big fella moves back over, it looks like the gates opening at the Kentucky Derby: "And...they're off!"

This is one scenario I try to avoid, at all costs. Unfortunately, if you're traveling long distances, it's inevitable that you're going to run into this situation at some point.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts