Hyundai Forums banner

Smartphone remote start for 2011 model with push button start?

14K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  Harlemnt 
#1 ·
I just bought my wife a 2014 SFS so she is using the bluelink to remote start with her smartphone during cold winter months. I started wondering about using my smartphone to do same thing but obviously I don't have bluelink. I have 2011 SE model with push button start and smart key but I would prefer not to carry additional device. Saw that Verizon offers some type of subscription service that includes remote start but wasn't sure if it was compatible with push button start Sonatas. I did a search and read several threads on remote starts but found nothing about smartphone remote start. Any suggestions? Thanks

#2 ·
I have the Directed Smart Start on my 12 using an Iphone. If you have any stereo/alarm shops nearby they should be able to help you out. You have to purchase the equipment plus install and there is a yearly subscription fee for the service. They have multiple levels depending on what unit you purchase. I have the GPS Smart Start on mine and you can locate the car and lots of other features from your phone.

Hope that helps

#3 ·
Excellent thread. As I was just doing loads of research on this also for my '11 limited. I saw on Viper online they have a specific module for push button starts like ours. Also have an app for iPhone or Android. Just 1 problem is you need to carry the second fob. Which I see you don't want. I also don't want to but I may bite the bullet just gonna keep doing research.

#4 ·
If you do the smart start you do not need an extra fob...unless you really want one. They are basically going to whats called RSR or Remote Start Ready. This can be achieved with a smartphone or in a lot of cases the factory fob (usually hitting lock 3x will activate the remote start) I have been selling and installing Directed brand (Viper, Avital, Python, etc) alarms and starters for quite some time.

On my 12 Push to Start all I needed was the smart start module itself and the DB-ALL which is the interface for the car. Only thing that sux which this has been mentioned on here before is the factory fob and the buttons on the ext door handles do not work when the vehicle is running. I read some posts that say there is a fix but I haven't investigated much into it.

#9 ·
yeah its not too bad, just becomes routine i guess lol

Thanks for suggestions. So is the push button start with fob permanently disabled forcing remote start with smartphone every time? I think I could manage to unlock with smartphone when car is running. I was just thinking nice feature to have during extreme cold or heat
no if you dont use remote start, you will crank the car just like you would any other time. Only time this is an issue is when the car is running with remote start. it is nice to have, i have remote start on all of our vehicles that i could put them on lol.

#8 ·
Thanks for suggestions. So is the push button start with fob permanently disabled forcing remote start with smartphone every time? I think I could manage to unlock with smartphone when car is running. I was just thinking nice feature to have during extreme cold or heat

#13 ·
Ditto for me and in the same situation. Mama's Terrain has RS and it works nice (even turns on the heated seats) so I am jonesing for something to pre-warm the Sled.

On a related note, I hate the STUPID COLD we are having up here for a totally new reason. Started my car 20 mins prior to leaving for work this morning and forgot to put the fob in my big winter coat. Didnt realize this until I pulled in the parking lot and TURNED OFF THE ENGINE!!!

Good thing Mama had off today and graciously decided to truck my key across the state line. She's getting the wine of her choice tonight!

#14 ·
My local shop has the Drone which they claim is the same as Directed Smart Start.
Any one have this one and what is your opinion?
Also they want $519 installed... The app service is $50 a year....
Any info would be appreciated.....

#15 ·
Yikes!

519 is way overpriced. I can get that same system installed for less than $400

Unless they are also selling you 1 year of service as well, then maybe its an OK deal.

#16 · (Edited)
519 installed and 3 months free on the service then it goes to $50 a year after that.........

So I should be looking for a better price it sound like......

Any big difference between Directed Smart Start and the Drone remote start ???

#18 ·
I just checked 6 different places around here ( different brands but they all assure me they use the same service ) so the prices go from $500 to $550.

I have the push start and they all say it needs the remote start and another module,,, the second one being an additional $149 so maybe that is what is making the price higher..... I dunno...

The annual service price is mostly $50 a year with only one being $60 a Year...

#20 ·
I have a system from this web site.
Omegalink - Home
It consists of a remote start/security system $70.00
Excalibur RS 350 EDP RS350EDP Keyless Entry Security Remote Start System | eBay
with an interface device $72.00
Omegalink OL MDB All Transponder Bypass Module Olmbdall Idatalink | eBay
and the cell phone receiver module $170.00
Omega CarLink Smartphone Interface
I also bought the programming tool $47.00
Omega OL-LOADER Dedicated USB Interface Cable Omegalink

$50.00/year for cell phone interface service.
All prices listed are what I paid when I bought them a year ago.
I'm working on a sunroof interface to add to this system since it has 2 Aux inputs you can control with the phone app.

#21 ·
Find a directed dealer that can install the following as mentioned prior

DB-ALL - data bypass module
DSM-200 or DSM-250 (DSM-250 supports GPS location feature)

Thats all you need to use the Directed Smart start for our cars.

Thats my setup. I paid $120 for three years of service. If you need any help PM me and I can walk you though it.

DB-ALL retail price is about 75-100 and the DSM-200 or 250 = 200-300. Labor to install is another 100 to 150. so that price is about right.

Directed has all in one units out now that includes your standard remote start system with the DB-ALL bypass built into 1 unit. but you will still need the DSM module for the smart start to work.

#23 ·
Ok got it ...... Love it

Some price changes though......

They have lowered the Smart Start Module to $150 but have raised the yearly service to $70.00

However if you do what smoke did and buy a 3 year contract on the service they will still honor the $50 a year .....

Love this on my smartphone. plus all the extras that the app will do for you,,,

not to mention a free roadside Motor Club Registration ....

#32 ·
Just want to update this thread I got the remote start and smart start installed on the 25 and having it for one week has been awesome beyond words. I didnt think I would use the smart start app often but I use it at least twice a day for starting, unlocking and opening the trunk. Thanks Quigley21 for all the info. And smoke1991 also . You guys are of a great help.

#42 ·
Hey guys,
I just finished installing a remote start on my 2013 Sonata Limited with push button start that uses the factory key FOB and the FOB still functions after the vehicle is started and the door handle switch works as well. It is called MyKey Pro and is made by a company in Korea called Garin Systems. All you install is one module and you can then use your factory key FOB to start, and unlock after starting as well as the door button if you have the FOB in your pocket. I contacted the company through their website ::::: ?? ???? ???? ??? ???? ??! - ????? :::::

Thought someone else might like to try it.

#43 ·
Need Help.

Hey guys,
I just finished installing a remote start on my 2013 Sonata Limited with push button start that uses the factory key FOB and the FOB still functions after the vehicle is started and the door handle switch works as well. It is called MyKey Pro and is made by a company in Korea called Garin Systems. All you install is one module and you can then use your factory key FOB to start, and unlock after starting as well as the door button if you have the FOB in your pocket. I contacted the company through their website
Thought someone else might like to try it.
How is the installation process? I am Newbie, does it come with the installation guide? I have Sonata 2013 SE 2.4. Thank you :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.