Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here use smart park on a regular basis? we go out a lot, and several times the front is too low, and scrapes those parking bump stops. if i stop before the car hits, then the back end sticks out beyond the parking space. also, some places downtown in the city are angled spaces, and if you dont back in, you get a ticket. wtf? so, will the smart park work in the angled parking spaces? one thing for sure, backing in makes leaving a helluva lot easier

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
442 Posts
I use it from time to time just to move the car around the garage when I need to get my motorcycle in and out. Also at various locations when people park too close.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
123 Posts
I've used it to adjust the car after parking. It also came in handy after I washed the car. I have to sweep the water since it pools up on my driveway. Instead of splashing water on my clean interior by getting in, I just remoted the car out of the way. I'll probably also use it for a tight space when I come across one.

But mainly it's been a "hey look what my car can do" type thing for me. I'm sure I wouldn't get it if it came as an option on these cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've used it to adjust the car after parking. It also came in handy after I washed the car. I have to sweep the water since it pools up on my driveway. Instead of splashing water on my clean interior by getting in, I just remoted the car out of the way. I'll probably also use it for a tight space when I come across one.

But mainly it's been a "hey look what my car can do" type thing for me. I'm sure I wouldn't get it if it came as an option on these cars.
Agree. It’s basically a fun thing to do. I have, on occasion, used it to get out of a tight space.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The manual specifically says not to use it for angled parking.
HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it wont work.
As long as there is a large enough space free of obstructions, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Unfortunately, there's I've never found any use for the feature.
I would much rather have the parallel parking assist that many other cars have. (Though the surround camera system works pretty well to help with that)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would guess that the last time i parallel parked was probably 30 years ago. back up parking is becoming more popular now(stud parking), mostly because pickup trucks are so huge, and parking lots have shrunk, getting out of a space now is a chore

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
422 Posts
I used it once when someone parked too close. They were still in their parked vehicle when I used it. I just gave them a smile and went on my merry way. (After checking for dings of course):)

Reactions: Ryan T

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
442 Posts
Used it one day getting the car out of the garage (yes, to get my motorcycle out (didn't leave enough room on the side to squeeze by)) and at the same time the mail carrier was dropping off mail. He was full of questions as to how I moved it with no one in it. I wanted to say "old Jedi mind trick." He was quite impressed. I will also move it this way to make room when my wife is planning to get in her car, can't have her door dinging my ride. She can be less than quite attentive to the surroundings at times.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i would guess that the last time i parallel parked was probably 30 years ago. back up parking is becoming more popular now(stud parking), mostly because pickup trucks are so huge, and parking lots have shrunk, getting out of a space now is a chore
I've never understood why people like to 'back up' park. It seems like, you're just shifting the work from leaving the space to entering the space. I don't know, I'm usually in a hurry when I arrive and just want to park quickly and am in less of a hurry when I'm leaving. I find it especially annoying when one blocks a long line of cars in a parking garage while trying to turn all the way around to back up. I've never had an issue backing out of a space. It's even easier now with the cameras.

Back to the feature, I do have a one-car garage and have to back my car out in order to get my lawn mower and other equipment out. I can use it to back the car out, but have to be really careful to check the that the mirrors clear. However, the car won't drive back in because it detects too many obstructions. In the past, with my old car, I'd back out the car in neutral without starting the engine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've never understood why people like to 'back up' park. It seems like, you're just shifting the work from leaving the space to entering the space. I don't know, I'm usually in a hurry when I arrive and just want to park quickly and am in less of a hurry when I'm leaving. I find it especially annoying when one blocks a long line of cars in a parking garage while trying to turn all the way around to back up. I've never had an issue backing out of a space. It's even easier now with the cameras.
Backing in eliminates a lot of hassle and unlike a lot of people posting, I never thought of it as wasting other peoples time - even in the urban area I am in this isn't even a thing. Probably a 50/50 chance I will when I park although I prefer the pull through spots that allow me to point into the direction I want to go when leaving.

I know cameras and warning sensors make life a lot easier these days but backing into a spot is easy and the variables it eliminates when trying to pull out into a busy lot outweigh the negatives. You don't have to rely on sensors or cameras, you can easily judge the situation by easily looking out.

Backing into a spot takes a little more skill but for the most part you know you are dealing with, 2 other cars already parked and stationary and maybe a 3rd that is the same behind you. When pulling out, you are dealing with the same (up to 3 stationary cars) plus the potential for moving cars.

Pulling out of a spot facing traffic:
1. Scanning left/right with my eyes.
2. Go when clear.

Pulling out of a spot in reverse:
1. Look at the camera or rearview mirror - or both.
2. Confirm by actually turning your head side to side
3. Listening and confirming sensor beeps on display.
4. Potentially have to keep doing the above steps multiple times until clear.
5. Visual confirmation as you pull out.
5. Go when clear.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
new commercial places like restaurants have smaller parking lots. there is less room between the parking spots. then, here in texas, people like to buy the biggest truck/suv they can, put a bf trailer hitch on, so the back sticks out into the lane. additionally, the bump stops dont allow them to drive right up to the sidewalk, and park with the front end halfway across the sidewalk. the city closest to us has downtown parking, but you must back in, or get a ticket.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
357 Posts
In the Smaht Pahk commercial they are parking in angled spots, though he does straighten it up before remoting the car into the spot.

I love showing my coworkers the feature, but I've yet to actually use it to get out of a tight spot. The spots at work are decent size and I usually park on the end anyway. And with Covid, IF I go anywhere public, the lots are all but deserted anyway.
I can't imagine purposely pulling the car INTO a super narrow space between two strangers cars. Who knows what door dings you'll return to. I guess I have small-town privilege and don't have to worry about packed downtown traffic of the big cities.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Backing in eliminates a lot of hassle and unlike a lot of people posting, I never thought of it as wasting other peoples time - even in the urban area I am in this isn't even a thing. Probably a 50/50 chance I will when I park although I prefer the pull through spots that allow me to point into the direction I want to go when leaving.

I know cameras and warning sensors make life a lot easier these days but backing into a spot is easy and the variables it eliminates when trying to pull out into a busy lot outweigh the negatives. You don't have to rely on sensors or cameras, you can easily judge the situation by easily looking out.

Backing into a spot takes a little more skill but for the most part you know you are dealing with, 2 other cars already parked and stationary and maybe a 3rd that is the same behind you. When pulling out, you are dealing with the same (up to 3 stationary cars) plus the potential for moving cars.

Pulling out of a spot facing traffic:
1. Scanning left/right with my eyes.
2. Go when clear.

Pulling out of a spot in reverse:
1. Look at the camera or rearview mirror - or both.
2. Confirm by actually turning your head side to side
3. Listening and confirming sensor beeps on display.
4. Potentially have to keep doing the above steps multiple times until clear.
5. Visual confirmation as you pull out.
5. Go when clear.
new commercial places like restaurants have smaller parking lots. there is less room between the parking spots. then, here in texas, people like to buy the biggest truck/suv they can, put a bf trailer hitch on, so the back sticks out into the lane. additionally, the bump stops dont allow them to drive right up to the sidewalk, and park with the front end halfway across the sidewalk. the city closest to us has downtown parking, but you must back in, or get a ticket.
Yes, there are some places where one is required to back in. I also agree that some people do pull forward too far and block the sidewalk. This can happen when backing in too with the bumper or pickup-bed sticking into the sidewalk.

I agree that moving in reverse is more complex than moving forwards. Except that when you park backwards, one has the extra maneuvers to turn around to position themselves to back in. (You nearly always arrive at your space and depart moving in the forwards direction) This can also confuse the drivers behind not knowing if you are moving past space potentially causing a conflict or at least a traffic jam. I see no advantage to backing in since I am just moving the extra work of reversing to the beginning vs when I leave and I am usually in more of a hurry when I arrive.

I also prefer pull thru spots.

Anyways, I think we all agree that the smart park feature is very limited usefulness.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the main reason i would back in, is when we go to some of our favorite places, the front will scrape. when i was working for bmw, the E39 had a big problem with this. the outside temp sensor sat low on the left front. people would go in forward, and when they backed out, it would tear off the front of the inner wheelhouse plastic, the sensor, and a couple other small parts. it became one of those deals where you sell so many of them, when someone would come in with the sensor not working, we could pull all the parts from memory.

·
Registered
56 Posts
HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it wont work.
As long as there is a large enough space free of obstructions, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Unfortunately, there's I've never found any use for the feature.
I would much rather have the parallel parking assist that many other cars have. (Though the surround camera system works pretty well to help with that)
As long as the wheels are straight, you can park it anywhere. The car doesn't really care where the lines are.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've never understood why people like to 'back up' park.
I find it much easier to back the car into a spot than pull in. I find I can park my car in a much more accurate and evenly spaced position between two cars by using the side view mirrors.

I used to deliver landscaping supplies in dump trucks for our family business and homeowners couldn’t understand how much easier it was for me to back up the truck instead of driving forward through a narrow path with just a couple inches on both sides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts